September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    So, I did another shorter-than-planned run today. I went for an "easy" run last night, without looking at the watch, and was surprised at how "fast" I was when I got home. So I decided I have recovered enough from my cold (especially since I will be travelling tomorrow and won't have a chance to run), and mapped a nice 15km route in the mountains for tonight. But it looks like fate wanted me to get a bit more rest: somehow, I left almost an hour later from work than I had hoped. Combine that with the fact that a bus broke down and the resulting traffic jam turned what should have been a 15min drive into 45min, and it was getting pretty late. That ment I had to change my plans. I limited myself to a shorter loop, because I wanted to make sure I was back on car-accessible roads before sunset (it always seems to me if I risk breaking an ankle in the middle of nowhere, I should at least be considerate enough to do it early enough that the mountain rescue guys can come pick me up in daylight ^^).

Between travelling and the stupid cold, I might miss not only my distance goal for the month, but also the Strava Climbing Challenge. I realised today when I saw the "50%" notification on Strava that I'm still missing 1200m of climbing. That won't do at all! One of my main running goals for this year was to complete that challenge each month. I'll be visiting my parents over the weekend (on the coast = beautiful, but flat), and I'm thinking about racing a local 5.5km Wednesday next week (=no crazy mountains the day before, not many hills during the race). Guess that means either Thursday or Friday next week will be a tough run >:)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Everybody dig in! Don't mind the under the sea theme of the cupcakes....um....it's in honor of all the swimming @Elise4270 has done! m1vuew90982j.jpg

Ahhh! I LOVE YOU @greenolivetree ! Best cupcakes ever!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift that picture looks like an ad for running, or the picture on a motivational poster. Pretty awesome
    Absolutely! My first thought also was that that picture could be right out of a running shoe commercial! Lol, I wish I looked that much like a runner when I run. They just put the pictures from my half marathon online, and I swear I gave it a last push and sprinted across the finish line, but in the photo it looks like I'm somewhere between slow jogging and falling asleep :p

@_nikkiwolf_ and @MNLittleFinn You guys should see the Burst outtakes where I look a foot shorter and twice as wide and my legs are half buckled underneath me. It's not pretty! It's all a matter of what fraction of a second the shot was taken in! There are more unflattering fractions than good ones... those ones just don't end up on instagram or on the forum :D
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options

exercise.png

My Longest run so far!
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Do you live in Indy? I am also running in the Mini Half Marathon 2017. I run on the Monon Trail as much as possible and supplement my running with the treadmill.

I don't - I read somewhere it was a cool half to do and to be honest - running across the finish line at the Indy 500 sounded awesome - so a co-worker and I have decided to drive to Indy to run it - it will be my first half... might as well make it memorable :)
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the welcome... when I started the weight loss plan, I had no idea I would get hooked on running - I read a suggestion to help with the weight loss to sign up for a 5k and then do the training - which I did, and haven't looked back...

Races in 2016:

May: Race for the Cure 5k - 33:21
    June: Paige's Butterfly Run 5k - 31:55
    June: Corporate Challenge - 3.5 miles - 36:32
    August: Baltimore Woods Trail Run 5k - 35:20
    September: Teal Ribbon Run 5k
    October: MS Monster Run 10k
    November: CiderCross 5k
    November: Burn Run 10k
    November: Turkey Trot 10k
    December: It's A Wonderful Run 5k

I am hoping to go to Maine next year for the Beach To Beacon 10k. There is a great 10k in Falmouth on Cape Cod. Boston has a 10k and a Half that look interesting. I also read about a New Orleans Half with jazz music playing. These all sound like fun trips and interesting places to run...

It's been a busy year for my first year running :)
  • chassp8pooh
    chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yay! Got back into my ticker. A 3.10 mile unplanned run on supposed to be an off day...but when your truck driver hubby stops early in your favorite place to run...what do you do? You run!
    exercise.png

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    3 miles today and it was horrendous! I had to stop and walk 3 times, my breathing and heart rate were fine but I literally had no energy at all! I kept thinking I was going to fall down. The past 2 nights I've been waking up a lot and coughing so I'm guessing it's just a minor bug I've got that's zapped all my energy. My next run isn't until Monday so hopefully I'll be recovered by then :)
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Sep  1     0.0      0.0 
    Sep  2     6.5      6.5 
    Sep  3     4.3     10.8 
    Sep  4     5.1     15.9
    Sep  6     4.3     20.2
    Sep  8     5.1     25.3
    Sep 10     8.2     33.5
    Sep 11     5.0     38.5
    Sep 13     4.3     42.8
    Sep 15     5.1     47.9
    Sep 17    10.8     58.7
    Sep 18     5.1     63.8
    Sep 20     4.3     68.1
    Sep 21     5.1     73.2
    Sep 22     4.3     77.5

exercise.png

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - could really devour *all* of those right now. They look lovely!

Been out for nice long run (11k) this morning - including a couple of short 90s walking breaks. This was my first time over 10k for me as just wanted to see if I could do it as there's a run in a couple of weeks I was thinking about joining. 10k time was 67:14 which I was very pleased with, especially considering my September aim was to do 10k in 65mins and that was set before I had 2 weeks out with ankle niggle. Feels good to be running again.

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    Thank you all for the welcome... when I started the weight loss plan, I had no idea I would get hooked on running - I read a suggestion to help with the weight loss to sign up for a 5k and then do the training - which I did, and haven't looked back...

Races in 2016:

May: Race for the Cure 5k - 33:21
    June: Paige's Butterfly Run 5k - 31:55
    June: Corporate Challenge - 3.5 miles - 36:32
    August: Baltimore Woods Trail Run 5k - 35:20
    September: Teal Ribbon Run 5k
    October: MS Monster Run 10k
    November: CiderCross 5k
    November: Burn Run 10k
    November: Turkey Trot 10k
    December: It's A Wonderful Run 5k

I am hoping to go to Maine next year for the Beach To Beacon 10k. There is a great 10k in Falmouth on Cape Cod. Boston has a 10k and a Half that look interesting. I also read about a New Orleans Half with jazz music playing. These all sound like fun trips and interesting places to run...

It's been a busy year for my first year running :)

Hey! I recognize those races. Do you live in/near Syracuse? I'm in the suburbs. I did Paige's Butterfly Run (as part of a giant megapede) and the Corporate Challenge. I plan on probably doing the Burn Run and would like to do Its a Wonderful Run too. I'm doing the St. Nick Shuffle 5k the week before.

I was just talking about running in Maine with one of my running group friends. Sound so nice. I agree with your philosophy about going to fun and interesting places for running!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 6 miles
    9/6: 6 miles
    9/7: 4 miles
    9/8: 3.2 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/9: Rest day
    9/10: 5.3 miles
    9/11: 13.1 - Via HM
    9/12: 3 miles with the Coffee Crew!
    9/13: 7.9 miles
    9/14: 4.3 miles run commute home
    9/15: 7.3 miles run commute to work
    ........: 6.2 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/16: Rest day
    9/17: 8.1 miles with the Saturday crew!
    9/18: 11.3 miles (am) + 4.7 miles (pm)
    9/19: 6.1 miles
    9/20: 4 miles
    9/21: 8 miles
    ........: 4.9 miles
    9/22: 6.7 miles
    ........: group run tonight!

Oh boy, are my legs tired or what! Since Saturday, I've done 53 miles and change, with 6 more to come tonight. And my legs can certainly feel it. Speedwork this morning was a joke. I did a warm up mile, did two 7:50s and then my legs said, "You want us to keep going fast? HAHA, Lady.... HAHA!" So I told myself to just TRY for one more fast mile and... nada. And then my route was .3 short but I did not care. My legs were toast and I was at my house, so I called it a day. Hoping my legs will get used to the high mileage quickly (I was hitting 50s in early August before the calf strain, and consistently for the entire spring, so this isn't my first rodeo!) and I can push through the fatigue for speedwork next Thursday!

exercise.png

Oh and PS: I tried my handheld flashlight today (Nathan Zephyr 300) and holy moly, I did not like it. I didn't like having to hold it because in the dark I like to have my hands free, and it was so bright that I was concerned I'd blind a driver. Also arms move around way more than a torso, so the light was bouncing all over. I am going to stick to wearing my head lamp around my ribs so that I look something like a Teletubby, but at least then the light always shines FORWARD!

Upcoming Races:
    9/11 LVHN Via Half-Marathon DONE!
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    9/1- Rest
    9/2- 4.13
    9/3- 10.03
    9/4- 3.02
    9/5- Rest driving home from visiting family
    9/6- 7.01
    9/7- 7.01
    9/8- 7.17
    9/9- 4.06
    9/10-12.01
    9/11- Rest
    9/12- 4.04
    9/13- 7.06
    9/14- 4.06
    9/15- 8.88
    9/16 REST
    9/17- 11
    9/18- REST
    9/19- 3.0
    9/20- 5.42
    9/21- 3.0
    9/22- REST

Total: 100.8/115

Today's notes: I really kind of hate rest days near the end of the training cycle. On run days, I get the endorphin rush from the run, but on the rest days, I really feel how much the cycle has hammered me. Here's to today and tomorrow being restful days so I'm feeling energized and ready for Saturday.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - Too bad about the handheld flashlight. The knuckle lights you don't have to hold, there is a strap that stays on. But it still kind of feels like you are holding something. Teletubby, lol - haven't thought of those things in years! That picture is beautiful! Does look like a poster!

@mmteixeira - welcome! Congrats on getting addicted to running! You are in the right place! I ran the Daytona Beach HM last year and will again next year. I'm not into car racing but it was very cool running on the track. It starts on the track - you go around it which is about 2 miles, then down to Daytona Beach and then back and finish on the track. So cool.

@Elise4270 - LOL you will run circles around us! You crack me up. :smiley:

Intervals this morning for my 5 miles. Still hot as a biscuit outside.

9/1 - 4.8 miles
    9/2 - strength training
    9/3 - 34 miles biking
    9/4 - 100 KM biking (63 miles).
    9/5 - 45 miles biking
    9/6 - 4 miles run
    9/7 - 5.1 miles + Strength training
    9/8 - rest day (avoid the bears)
    9/9 - 5. 0 miles + strength training
    9/10 - 34 miles biking
    9/11 - 100 miles biking
    9/12 - rest day
    9/13 - rest day #2
    9/14 - 5.1 miles
    9/15 - 4 miles
    9/16 - 4.5 miles
    9/17 - 44 miles biking
    9/18 - 38 miles biking
    9/19 - 5 miles
    9/20 - 5 miles
    9/21 - strength training
    9/22 - 5 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    11/30/16 - I/ITSEC 5K
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone - it's fall! Happy running!!
    tkf3ug7a78w9.jpg
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone - it's fall! Happy running!!

That image is amazing and I'm totally stealing it, lol. I do wish the weather was a bit more fall-like by me though. High of 84 today, ughhh.
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good morning my running friends. Well last night was the first night I couldn't run. Somehow I ended up getting a small bruise on my toe from my 7 miler the other day. Feels great now and should be able to run tonight. I did walk on the treadmill last night and will count the miles even though I kind of feel it don't really count towards my running total. Hope everyone stays healthy and keep running.

exercise.png

9/1 - 3.6
    9/2 - 6.2
    9/3 – 0
    9/4 -0
    9/5 - 2.6
    9/6 - 4.3
    9/7 - 6
    9/8 - 4.2
    9/9 - 0
    9/10 - 4.3
    9/11 -6.4
    9/12 -6.5
    9/13 – 6.1
    9/14 – Rest
    9/15 – 6.6
    9/16 – Rest
    9/17 – Crossfit
    9/18 – 6.5
    9/19 – Rest
    9/20 – 7
    9/21 – 6.2 (walk)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Today's notes: I really kind of hate rest days near the end of the training cycle. On run days, I get the endorphin rush from the run, but on the rest days, I really feel how much the cycle has hammered me. Here's to today and tomorrow being restful days so I'm feeling energized and ready for Saturday.

@MNLittleFinn you can take comfort in the fact that a rest day today will do more for you in preparing for your race than a run would.

Make sure you get some good sleep!