September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Unfortunately no HM option on that day, (the HM is in June with the full in March - wish it was the other way around!). Sure I'll see sense in the morning - I'm still on a bit of a high after today's run so probably just getting ahead of myself! If I did it, I wouldn't mind doing run/walk intervals - my aim would just be finishing but not sure how long the course is open for - as it's a charity run I'm hoping there will be a lot of slower competitors so it'd be open a while. Anyway, I'll think on it and decide in a couple of months. Thanks for your input.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe - I think the popular answer is going to be "best to wait longer." But I think that's only really true if you are trying to run it as a race-race (really pushing your effort, gunning for a certain time, etc).

In short, I would say yes, you can absolutely do a marathon in six months. Will it be a peak performance for you? No, most likely not. Will you be able to finish? Probably so.

I did my first (two) half marathon(s) in November of last year, then decided to just go for the marathon while I was at it. I completed the marathon in March.

I did, however, end up with a stress fracture in my left fibula during training and missed several peak weeks. I'm blaming it on my weird anatomy (see surgery discussions from the last few months) and resulting gait issues rather than overtraining, but that's beside the point. My longest pre-marathon training run was only 17 miles. I ran a few shorter mid-week runs after that, then had to lay off to heal the fracture. I did pick up spin classes to keep up my cardio while I was off, though. Post injury, my longest pre-marathon run was 12 miles. I took the marathon a little easier than I would have otherwise and missed my original goal time by about 20 minutes, finishing in 4:51:56. I had to walk some in the second half, due to my limited training, but I finished and finished injury free. Not that I wasn't incredibly sore for the next couple of days--I could barely move--but, hey, I finished!! If I can do it after that abysmal training, so can you.

For reference on that finish time, my half marathon PR from November is 2:10:54, so double my half time plus about 30 minutes.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe,

I forgot to add, yes, a full is definitely a different animal than a half. The progression from 5K to 10K to HM is fairly linear in the effort and training. Once you get to a 5K it's a steady path to 10K, and then to HM. From HM to full, however, is a bigger jump. It's not just 2 x HM. Nutrition and hydration during the race really come into play, the long runs are twice as long and...no surprise...take twice as long so there needs to be a bigger commitment to the training.

Winter training is not that bad. I actually love winter running. I couldn't run more than a few miles on a treadmill. I also don't think that treadmill training is a suitable replacement for road running, but that just my opinion. From what I read, it's just not as much effort to run a mile on the mill as it is to run it on the road.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just a short, very slow run for me today to loosen the legs after my half on Sunday. After running, yoga and a good foam rolling session, they are feeling much better now after being quite stiff this morning.

September Running Challenge

1st-4th - Poorlysick
    5th - 3.53 miles
    6th - 4.06 miles
    8th - 10.02 miles
    10th - 3.1 miles
    11th - 6.07 miles
    13th - 3.01 miles
    17th - 3.11 miles
    18th - 13.18 miles - HM PB!
    20th - 3.02 miles

MTD - 49.1/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just realized/remembered that tomorrow's run will be the last before my HM (assuming no shake out run)....feeling a bit melancholy about it.....This has been a harder training cycle than the last one, mainly because I pushed it more. Looking at the last run before the race, I'm almost in disbelief that I'm 5 days away from my second HM, when I really just started running in March......Taper/Peak has me thinking all kinds of thoughts.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Welcome @BeeerRunner - love the name. But I'm more of a wineRunner myself. :smile:

@9voice9 - oh yes, now I remember - hernia.

@skippygirlsmom - that is awesome about your bloodwork!

@MNLittleFinn - besides the tapering time to start carb loading!

@Marissaxzxzxz - Sorry about your ankle. :disappointed:

So... those of you with iPhones. We now finally have the female runner (with ios 10). I am usually one of those people who waits for OS releases to work out the kinks, but I wanted the girl runner. So I upgraded. What's more fun than the girl runner are the fun animated texting you can do. I wasted a little bit of time today on that with my daughter. The only one I know who upgraded also. :wink: We kept sending each other "Congratulations!" and watching the celebration on the screen.
  • surabhic
    surabhic Posts: 2 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »

@dkabambe For the distance runners out there, is 6 months enough time to train for a marathon? Longest I've run to date is 5miles and that was with 2 short (90 second) walking breaks along the way. I've just found out today there is a new marathon starting next year in Southend, which is a seaside town a few miles away from me so should be nice - it's along the seafront so would be a flat (though potentially very windy) course. Having a goal would spur me on, but I obviously don't want to set myself up for failure and I've heard that a full marathon is like a completely different activity to 10K and even HM - is this true? I'm also a bit concerned about how training will go over winter - I've only just come around to the idea of running at all but treadmill running those long distances seems mind numbingly boring to me.

If the longest you've EVER run is 5, and you want to run a marathon in 6 months, I would not advise it. My first marathon, I trained for 6 months but I had already done many halves previously and my long runs were 8-10 miles beforehand. And even with that experience, I still think in hindsight that I was woefully underprepared for the distance.

I think it would be wise for you to use the winter and spring to build up your mileage to support training for a full marathon -- work up to that mileage slowly to give your muscles and bones time to really adjust -- and then aim for a fall marathon if the desire is still there. Going from 5 miles to 26.2 is a huge leap and you don't even have the frame of reference of, say, a half marathon to really judge if you truly want to run a marathon. As @7lenny7 said, training for a full is a huge time commitment, and if your heart isn't totally in it, the training can suck.

@BeeerRunner Welcome!! I spy some New Glarus in your user pic... haven't seen those in a while since I moved eastward from Iowa! Oh but those are some good brews :)

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @ddmom0811 carb loading is part of thr fun for me
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    For the distance runners out there, is 6 months enough time to train for a marathon? Longest I've run to date is 5miles and that was with 2 short (90 second) walking breaks along the way. I've just found out today there is a new marathon starting next year in Southend, which is a seaside town a few miles away from me so should be nice - it's along the seafront so would be a flat (though potentially very windy) course. Having a goal would spur me on, but I obviously don't want to set myself up for failure and I've heard that a full marathon is like a completely different activity to 10K and even HM - is this true? I'm also a bit concerned about how training will go over winter - I've only just come around to the idea of running at all but treadmill running those long distances seems mind numbingly boring to me.

I'm going to disagree a bit with what some others said. I don't think it's a linear progression from 5K to 10K to a half marathon. From 5K to 10K, yes; but the game changes between 10K and a half marathon.

To go from a long run of 5 miles to a half marathon in 6 months is a big jump, but possible. You will need to learn a different type of running discipline to complete 13.1 miles than 5, unless you're so fast that you can run 13 miles in around an hour. Once the race gets to be more than an hour long, you can't run it at lactic threshold, which is the natural pace most new runners gravitate toward. You absolutely have to learn to race slower. I got injured twice on the way to my first half, and ended up needing some structured, coached training to eventually get there. The most important thing I learned in that training session was to run slower.

The game changes again between a half marathon and a full marathon. After running 11 halfs, I think I can say I've learned how to manage running a half well. After completing two full marathons and having a DNF 25.2 miles into my third, I'm forced to admit that I have not yet learned how to properly manage running a full marathon. What I will say is, trying to go from a long run of 5 miles to completing a marathon in 6 months is very, very aggressive. Maybe you can do it. There is a high risk of injury. I'd advise you to build your distance running capability more gradually than that.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp AGREED. After about 10 or 11 half marathons, I finally mastered racing one, and mostly because I'd been doing full training simultaneously. But after 4 fulls, I still haven't quite figured out how to manage the distance (my problem is a very early mental wall). Halves can be hard, but marathons are something else entirely.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for September
    9/1 9 miles - 9
    9/2 5 miles - 14
    9/3 18 miles - 32
    9/4 REST DAY
    9/5 10.5 miles - 42.5
    9/6 9 miles - 51.5
    9/7 6.2 miles - 57.7
    9/8 10 miles - 67.7
    9/8 6.2 miles - 73.9 << Daily Double
    9/9 6.2 miles - 80.1
    9/10 18 miles - 98.1
    9/11 REST DAY
    9/12 8 miles - 106.1
    9/12 5 miles - 111.1 << Daily Double
    9/13 9 miles - 120.1
    9/13 4 miles - 124.1 << Daily Double
    9/14 5 miles - 129.1
    9/15 9.6 miles - 138.7
    9/15 5 miles - 143.7 << Daily Double (Fleet Feet Fun Run)
    9/16 5 miles - 148.7
    9/17 20 miles. - 168.7
    9/18 REST DAY
    9/19 9 miles - 177.7
    9/20 8 miles - 185.7

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

I just ran along the road outside of Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst from my hotel and back. The highway had a nice wide shoulder to run against traffic. Apparently after I got done I had a bunch of flies stuck to my neck. Pretty nasty.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Wow @BEERRUNNER ! Quite a running log for working as much as you have! Are you with the armed forces? My son will be off to the army in a month.

I'm in southern Oklahoma, so welcome back to the states neighbor! And welcome to running group!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

9/1....4 miles
    9/4...6 miles
    9/9....6 miles...
    9/10....4 miles
    9/11...9 miles.
    9/14....4 miles
    9/16....4.07 miles....rolling hills program on the treadmill, pace at 11:06.
    9/18....12 miles. The first 6 miles in 67 minutes, the next 6 in 80 minutes, including 3 one minute walking breaks, starting on mile 8.

total is 49.07 miles. Goal is 70 miles.

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/8/16
    One America Half Marathon 5/6/17

Decided to run a fairly long run on Sunday of 12 miles due to needing the extra distance to figure out when to start taking walking breaks during my half in 3 weeks. Wanted to run at about 93-94 percent of max heart rate. I also wanted to "tough it out" and did not bring water with me.

Noted that I ran the first mile at 10:02, the first sub-11 minute mile that I have ever run, to my knowledge, the next 5 miles were run at more of a pace of 11:15-11:20, still running pretty comfortably at the 93% heart rate goal. Noted that at mile 7, I completed it at 12:02, which I think was my running base at this time. Then opted to fit in some one minute walks...only needed 3 to be able to finish the rest of the run. It was relatively cool but super humid the first 6 miles, then afterward, did not notice it as much. Was distracted by 3 police cars parked on the trail by the White River dam...I had to slow considerably to get around the police and was concerned that someone drowned in the river. (I later discovered that someone jet-skied over the dam, and crashed, but was okay).

I was still pumped about making progress. I did feel a lot of muscle soreness especially in the anterior part of my hips and medial glut muscles while running the last 3 miles. I really noticed that I struggled with my usual recovery walk with jumps...the jumping part was a real struggle. No noticeable discomfort on Monday except for some muscle tightness in the hamstrings/knees, thankfully.

The plan is to fit at least one, but hopefully two more long runs before the October half.

@MobyCarp So sorry to hear that you dnf'd your marathon. I was thinking about you were I was running on Sunday, that there is no way I could run a marathon...and so respecting those that have the "toughness" to work at it and even to BQ. I know that you are disappointed and discouraged...once you put a little distance on this, I think that you will really learn from it, and become stronger and smarter...after all, you were less than a mile away from not only finishing but winning the darn thing.

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    BetterMike wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - Thanks for linking the articles on cramping. I may just fry to figure out a way to bring a small amount pickle juice on my 1/2 in 2 weeks. Currently I don't really drink or carry anything with me on runs but might be worth it.

@bettermike if you like mustard it works the same as pickle juice for cramping. Skip had a horrible leg cramp, the hold your calf roll on the floor crying in pain type and within minutes of downing a packet of mustard she was feeling better. Though about 15 mins later she threw up the mustard, she HATES mustard. A nurse standing there when the cramp happened told us about the mustard.

I have been trying to read up on this lately. I think I read it is the turmeric in the mustard. Supposedly, it stops the nerves from misfiring. Ginger is supposed to work too. Was thinking of carrying a small piece of candied ginger myself.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift ... Yes...Spotted Cow...my fave. I have 1 left in the fridge from when my parents last visited. I was going to drink it when I got back from Afghanistan, but I was sooo tired...all I wanted to do was sleep. Lol! I think I'll drink it after my HM on 10/1.

@Elise4270 ...I'm not in the military, but I work for a defense contractor so we work very closely with the Armed Forces. Does your son know what he'll be doing in the Army yet? Thanks in advance for his service!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    9/20 3.86 miles base run instead of tempo run

If anything, feeling even more tired than yesterday - the effort of the HM on Sunday is still catching up to me. I slept in this morning and it was so nice. I could have slept all day, it felt like. I had my group workout tonight which called for a 35 minute tempo run. I did an easier base run instead as my legs certainly weren't ready for that kind of effort. Plus, more hills! The track we usually run on was not available because there was a soccer game (match?) going on the field. So we had to head to the neighborhoods and found a nice loop but it had a hill to it. I ran very slowly and with easy effort. It didn't feel too bad, certainly better than I felt during the last half of Sunday's run.

@MNLittleFinn and @ddmom0811 I've been asking when I can start carb loading since about week 2 of training.

@BEERRUNNER - welcome! Very impressive running!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift ... Yes...Spotted Cow...my fave. I have 1 left in the fridge from when my parents last visited. I was going to drink it when I got back from Afghanistan, but I was sooo tired...all I wanted to do was sleep. Lol! I think I'll drink it after my HM on 10/1.

@Elise4270 ...I'm not in the military, but I work for a defense contractor so we work very closely with the Armed Forces. Does your son know what he'll be doing in the Army yet? Thanks in advance for his service!!

Not yet. He scored well with the Navy and was headed for the nuclear program but he ran in to a snag (one too many PI's). He'll take the ASVAB once we get his gauged ear- holes repaired. I'll pass on the "thanks"
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @katharmonic I start 4-5 days before race day.....
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Trying to do more quality but less quantity this week as I'm racing an ironman 70.3 this weekend, but only starting my pre-Chicago rampdown. Given I wimped out of the heat and did tonight's run on the treadmill, I punished myself by doing 7 miles with 2 miles at threshold, and 3x1K repeats at 10K pace in the middle. The faster pace work felt pretty easy, and either I'm figuring out how to trick the treadmill (bouncing harder on the surface), or am actually getting faster as my 6:25 pace repeats were only getting me up to my target marathon heart rate.

Regardless, I'll be sure to get in a few more pace calibrating runs prior to Chicago during the next 2.5 weeks to try to figure out what pace to go with.

9/1 - 6 miles (treadmill)
    9/2 - 10 miles
    9/3 - 12 miles
    9/4 - 16 miles
    9/6 - 10.5 miles (w. HM pace running at end)
    9/7 - 6 miles
    9/9 - 6 miles
    9/11 - 3 miles
    9/12 - 8.5 miles
    9/13 - 10 miles
    9/14 - 12 miles
    9/15 - 6.5 miles
    9/16 - 20 miles
    9/17 - 6 miles (w. MP in middle)
    9/19 - 6.5 miles
    9/20 - 7 miles (w. 2@MP, and 3x1K@10K pace)

Total: 146 miles, 4 MP+ faster session
    Goal: 190 miles, 8 MP+ faster sessions
    Remaining: 44 miles, 4 MP+ faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13

@MNLittleFinn - Enjoy your final pre-race training (non-shakeout) run, and resist the temptation to exercise (in other ways) during your taper!

@dkabambe - My first marathon was about a year after my first 10 mile race, but I had taken a break after the 10 miler, and really only got in 7 months of dedicated training for the marathon. Still, I ended up playing it by ear, registered for a half 3 months prior to the marathon, and only signed up for the full after confidently racing the half. For my early races, I mostly cheated on the pacing front by using heart rate guidelines (my max is 190, my LT is 175, so I know I can drift up from 168-178 for about 90 min for my halfs, and drift from 160-170 for 190 minutes for my full marathons). Now that I'm 5 marathons in, I'm getting a better feel for them, but still started my last one too slow (1:36 and 1:32 splits for the 2 halves). If you enjoy your training and your half, I'd give it a go, but start the race a bit slower than expected as crashing at the end isn't fun.