September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @mobycarp - Sorry to hear about Rochester this AM. When I spotted your comment about 95% humidity I started flashing back to my 99% humidity Disney race in January, the pure ick factor of the experience, and my gradual descent into hell during my last 6 miles. Sometimes a day or two of rest and recovery will get your refocused back on things, as it gets hard immediately after those types of experiences to want to return to racing.

@katharmonic - congrads on surviving your icky race!

@louubelle16 - Awesome job on your HM PR!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp that sounds like a heck of a battle of a race. Despite the troubles you had, I am still in awe of what you did. You are a great runner and you inspire a lot of us to do more than we thought we could. I hope you have a restful day/week and I look forward to seeing g what more you can do.

@MobyCarp I don't think I could have said it better than this. You have nothing to be ashamed of, and don't assess your goals just yet. Take some time.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@kristinegift sorry to hear that the heat and humidity continues near you. I was hoping to escape the warmer weather when I visit Jersey this week.

@Stoshew71 It'll be nice Wed and onward! Storms today through Tuesday have the overnight lows in the high 60s :/

Great. I will be leaving Wednesday night.
    Maybe I will sneak in a run early Wednesday morning. Or if I am not needed Wednesday morning for the class, I have the whole day pretty much free before I have to head back into Newark Airport.

I don't know what to do for Monday and Tuesday if there are storms. I need a cut back week but not 3 days off.

Great race report @AdrianChr92

Hang in there @sparklyglitterbomb Don't let one bad day get you down.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I'm sorry you had such a hard race and weren't able to finish. I agree too, you are an impressive and inspirational runner. Today was not the day, but you have accomplished so much and will continue to! Hope some rest does you a world of good.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    3.4 miles today, 16.6 out of 30 :)
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp That was a tough race. Probably the humidity had something to do with it.

Speaking about cramps. I know the ultra guys around here use some kind of liquid magnesium vials to combat cramps.
  • ccontr11
    ccontr11 Posts: 25 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

exercise.png

I am at 26 miles so far this month. I'm a little bit off track but if I run 7 miles in the next two days I should be back on track! Gonna drag my boyfriend to run with me!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Awesome time for your HM! Great job!

@katharmonic Yay, you did a HM! So happy for you!

@MobyCarp Wow, such bad luck cramping up so late in the marathon! Bravo for being so stoic and proactive. I admire you greatly.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I've missed a lot of updates recently, so afraid going to just skip to mine! Got out for my first run after 2 weeks out with a minor ankle injury. I set out for a slow 5k but felt really good so ended up doing a quick (for me) 6.4k. I made sure to do a proper warm-up (though my post-run stretch was a bit rushed) and everything felt fine so hopefully all should be good with my ankle.

Obviously I'm not going make 110k for September, so will update my target later this week but at moment just so pleased to be able to run again.

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 - I hope your hip is better today! Amazing that you decided to just go for a PB!
    @MobyCarp - so sorry to read about your marathon. That humidity sounds awful. It's so hard to drink enough while running. With biking you can eat and drink while you are going but stomach just won't allow as much when running.
    @juliet3455 - beautiful pictures! I was in Banff this summer - not sure if that's near you or not but it was just gorgeous. Love the magazine picture too!

This was one of those mornings where I did not want to get out of bed. But I knew I'd be mad at myself if I didn't get up and run. So I did and it turned out great.

9/1 - 4.8 miles
    9/2 - strength training
    9/3 - 34 miles biking
    9/4 - 100 KM biking (63 miles).
    9/5 - 45 miles biking
    9/6 - 4 miles run
    9/7 - 5.1 miles + Strength training
    9/8 - rest day (avoid the bears)
    9/9 - 5. 0 miles + strength training
    9/10 - 34 miles biking
    9/11 - 100 miles biking
    9/12 - rest day
    9/13 - rest day #2
    9/14 - 5.1 miles
    9/15 - 4 miles
    9/16 - 4.5 miles
    9/17 - 44 miles biking
    9/18 - 38 miles biking
    9/19 - 5 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    9/1- Rest
    9/2- 4.13
    9/3- 10.03
    9/4- 3.02
    9/5- Rest driving home from visiting family
    9/6- 7.01
    9/7- 7.01
    9/8- 7.17
    9/9- 4.06
    9/10-12.01
    9/11- Rest
    9/12- 4.04
    9/13- 7.06
    9/14- 4.06
    9/15- 8.88
    9/16 REST
    9/17- 11
    9/18- REST
    9/19- 3.0

Total: 92.38/115

Today's notes: Easy 3 miles this morning at 10:33 pace. I actually think I feel more tired after this easy one than my harder runs. Must be a taper thing. Only 2 more runs until my HM. Looking at easy 4 miles tomorrow and Wednesday, then 2 full days off.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your taper week, @MNLittleFinn! You'll do great at your HM! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Which race is this?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your taper week, @MNLittleFinn! You'll do great at your HM! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Which race is this?

Thanks. The race is the Boundary Waters Bank HM in Ely, Minnesota
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Good morning my running friends, I was not able to run much over the weekend but I think I am still doing awesome and am on track. I hope everyone has a great start to the work week.

exercise.png

9/1 - 3.6
    9/2 - 6.2
    9/3 – 0
    9/4 -0
    9/5 - 2.6
    9/6 - 4.3
    9/7 - 6
    9/8 - 4.2
    9/9 - 0
    9/10 - 4.3
    9/11 -6.4
    9/12 -6.5
    9/13 – 6.1
    9/14 – Rest
    9/15 – 6.6
    9/16 - Rest
    9/17 - Crossfit
    9/18 - 6.5

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Thanks, I am fairly lucky to live where I am with the amazing valley.
    Banff is about a 9 hour drive South of me. They have a really nice Marathon / HM / 10k event there running on trails around Town and the Golf Course. You know what the site lines are like being cupped in that Bowl surrounded by the amazing peaks. I hope you had a chance to head North along Hwy 93 up to the Ice Field and Jasper. Some great day hikes that will let you get right to the Top of the Peaks in the area. No Rock Climbing gear required - just common sense and follow the well worn trail.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/15 - 4 Miles
    9/17 - 8 Miles

43 out of 80 miles done.

@MobyCarp That sounds like such a tough race and you ran it so well. I get the calf cramping issue at half the distance you get it and I'm not sure what to do about it. I think, for me, it's a hydration issue and need to drink much more the days before the run. I hope you recover quickly.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    exercise.png

1/9: 5.74 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    2/9: REST (hungover from the wedding the day before)
    3/9: 20.43 km + 20 mins yoga
    4/9: REST
    5/9: REST
    6/9: Life but walked all over
    7/9: 5.48 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    8/9: My Bday!!! 20 mins elliptical + 40 mins yoga + 4.61 km in the evening
    9/9: 5.49 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises
    10/9: REST
    11/9: REST
    12/9: 4.63 km in the evening
    13/9: 5.62 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (arms and core)
    14/9: 5.61 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders, upper back and core)
    15/9: 5.61 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (chest and core)
    16/9: 10.25 km + 20 mins yoga (new PR!)
    17/9: REST (walked all over with a friend visiting from out of town)
    18/9: LIFE (volunteered for my city’s Army Run)
    19/9: 4.56 km + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders and core)

Current PR: 5K in 32:50 / 10K in 1:12:07 / 20K in 2:45:11

Races:

24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run

Good morning everyone! Hope you're all doing well! I had a very busy weekend, and now I'm starting the work week exhausted. I still managed a dreadmill run this morning, but I feel like I pushed myself too much. Need sleep.

Have a great day! :smile:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! 94 new posts!

9/1 - 4
    9/3 - 4.2
    9/6 - 2.5
    9/7 - 4
    9/8 - 4.2
    9/10 - 5.1
    9/11 - 6
    9/13 - 0.5
    9/14 - 3.5
    9/16 - 3
    9/17 - 4.8
    9/19 - 5.4

Not much to report today. I went begrudgingly this morning, since I didn't go yesterday (lazy bum, I am). It was about 55 degrees when I got outside at 6:30, so I had no choice but to run since I had to get warm! Things felt pretty good today, was able to take the long way and clocked in a nice 5.4 miles. I really do like running in cool weather! I even had another 5k PR today - 36:39.

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Your mention of Udderly Smooth made me wonder about Bag Balm. I have a big jar of it that I use on my horse on the rare occasion that she gets a small injury (keeps it sealed up, clean, and the flies away). A Google search tells me it might be useful for preventing blisters, so I'm going to give it a try. Stealing from my horse's medicine cabinet. LOL
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up reading all the posts from the weekend. Sorry to hear about your DNF, @mobycarp . I know it must have been disappointing, being so close to the finish line. I'm glad you were able to make the call to pack it in, though! Always best to be safe.

Congrats to all you other racers out there. I saw some pretty impressive PRs this week!

I decided to scrap my plan to run on Saturday morning. My calves were super tight again and I had work to do this weekend, so didn't want to risk it. BUT, I vowed to run on Sunday morning, no matter what. Woke up Sunday, and the calves were still really tight. Threw on my new shorts and a long sleeve shirt and headed out the door. Took a new route (went left from my house instead of right, then turned south at the first road). My plan was to run down to highway 10, then cut across to the next road to the east and head back north to loop back to the house. I hadn't mapped out the route, but figured that would get me around 6.5-7 miles. When I got to Highway 10 (just after the 2.5 mile mark), however, I realized the fatal flaw in my plan. That highway has no shoulder. Zero. Just a steep ditch. So, I stopped for a minute to regroup, downed a gel--huma strawberry lemonade gels are fantastic, btw--removed the long-sleeve shirt, and turned back the way I came. Ended up with just over 5 miles. Not counting my short break at the halfway point (moving time only), I had some pretty good negative splits:

Mile 1: 11:36
    Mile 2: 10:41
    Mile 3: 10:48
    Mile 4: 10:38
    Mile 5: 9:53

Review on the shorts: very comfortable, but not particularly flattering on me. They hold lots of stuff, though, and stayed put very well with a couple of gels in the pockets. Didn't try running with my phone in the waistband, so can't comment on that. I do love the super stretchy fabric! Hoping they'll look better on me as I lose some of the weight I've gained lately. Of course, they're already a lot bigger in the waist than they are on the legs and butt, so hopefully they don't just decide to fall off...