September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 I've used baby wipes to clean off my feet after runs and hot walks across campus before, but I think the shower wipes work better for post-run. They smell better than baby wipes and they're specifically designed to kill sweat bacteria. After I use them I don't fel grimy at all which is A+.

@MLS1582 Have you tried quarter height/ankle height socks? They won't have a tab and they go up higher so they won't catch as much debris. I know Feetures and Balega and Injinji all have ankle-height socks.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim you look like you're well on track to go for that sub 3 marathon. Keep up the awesome work!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for September
    9/1 9 miles - 9
    9/2 5 miles - 14
    9/3 18 miles - 32
    9/4 REST DAY
    9/5 10.5 miles - 42.5
    9/6 9 miles - 51.5
    9/7 6.2 miles - 57.7
    9/8 10 miles - 67.7
    9/8 6.2 miles - 73.9 << Daily Double
    9/9 6.2 miles - 80.1
    9/10 18 miles - 98.1
    9/11 REST DAY
    9/12 8 miles - 106.1
    9/12 5 miles - 111.1 << Daily Double
    9/13 9 miles - 120.1
    9/13 4 miles - 124.1 << Daily Double
    9/14 5 miles - 129.1
    9/15 9.6 miles - 138.7
    9/15 5 miles - 143.7 << Daily Double (Fleet Feet Fun Run)
    9/16 5 miles - 148.7
    9/17 20 miles. - 168.7

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

This morning's long run was tough since my entire rear was sore pretty much the whole run. There were 4 of us that basically ran the first 15 together at about a 9 min/mi pace. Kept the pace pretty easy. It's still pretty much humid. I broke off from the group at mile 15 cause I needed to go at least 18 but wanted to see if I could pull a 20 miler out. The others were only doing 16 and 17. I actually ran my 20th lap at GHMP pace. Then I looked at my totals for the week: 70.9 miles. No wonder I was so sore.

This week calls for a cut back week especially with me traveling back and forth to NJ. Yay.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Stoshew71 that's an awesome run! your training pace is right around my GHMP. I have a good feeling about your November and December races. I think I feel a BQ coming for you!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @MLS1582 It's been a struggle. I was using double-layered Wright socks, but they weren't helping much and I was wearing them out quickly since the outer layer is so thin. I have been mainly using cheaper sport socks from Costco (Puma: $10 for 6 pairs) and they seem to be fine and have lasted for months. But they soak up water when it rains, which is why I just bought the balega. I live in a rainy city.

Used the balega today for the first time. They are a higher ankle sock as @kristinegift mentioned so could solve your problem. They are thick wool; not sure how they'd be in warmer weather (says they keep feet cool and dry in summer or warm and dry in winter). My feet were warm and dry despite my shoes being completely wet, so I was impressed. Trying the injinji tomorrow. They seem small in comparison; I may have bought the wrong size. Got those ones to try and keep some silicone toe caps on and prevent further bloody toenail issues on long runs.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 4
    9/3 - 4.2
    9/6 - 2.5
    9/7 - 4
    9/8 - 4.2
    9/10 - 5.1
    9/11 - 6
    9/13 - 0.5
    9/14 - 3.5
    9/16 - 3
    9/17 - 4.8

What a gorgeous day today, and a really nice morning for running. I was finally feeling well enough to do the full loop again, though the snot rockets were still flying. I saw what I believe was a coyote by the high school field on the tail end of my run, but it never got close enough for me to verify. It was definitely larger than a fox, so I'm thinking coyote. Whatever it was, it was smart enough to run away from me as I made my way around the turn. It was probably looking for geese.

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    edited September 2016
    Options
    duplicate post
  • RespectTheKitty
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sorry, my browser is acting up
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Looks like autumn is finally here! The summer is over, literally overnight. Thursday night I woke up freezing and closed all the windows. And Friday during the day I started noticing the first signs of a cold. I can't believe I'm getting sick as the weather is finally getting better (for running ;) ). I spent all day yesterday drinking ginger tea with honey to nurse my sore throat, and went to bed early. 10+ hours of sleep seem to have helped somewhat, but I'm not completely sure if I managed to stop the cold in its tracks or not yet. I still got this tingling feeling in the nose *sigh*
    I couldn't decided if I should skip my run today or not. In the end I settled for a compromise and did half the planned distance (8km instead of 16km), and half of it pretty flat. I don't regret it - it was nearly perfect running weather (13°C/55F with only a very light drizzle). I had to walk a little on a long climb that I'd usually run all the way, but I enjoyed being outside. Let's see if I have to shorten my long run tomorrow as well - I have 30km on the agenda; but I'm still a week ahead of my training plan, so moving that to next week if necessary won't be the end of the world.

Does "retail therapy" also help against colds? I had a look where I could get the Nathan Orion lamp today, and I need a new sports bra anyway. Figured both together would be enough to get the free shipping at runningwarehouse.eu - and immediately saw the evil ad saying it's "women's week" and if I bought three items, I'd save 25% on them. Not adding two pair of shoes to the shopping basket would have been crazy, right? Perfect oportunity to try out the Saucony Kinvara and Newton Gravity.
    By the way, the offer lasts until September 21st, if those of you in Europe need a good excuse to buy some women's running shoes or clothing >:)

---

@MNLittleFinn Amazing run! If you can run 11 miles in 1:41:39 in a training run, I have no doublt you can hit the 2 hours in your HM!

@mom3over40 Did you have some stops during your run? The time Strava shows after uploading is the "moving time", maybe that could explain the difference. In your activity on Strava I can still see the 48 minutes as "elapsed time" (the line under elevation on the webpage).

@vandinem Congrats on the great finish. If you find that switch, let me know where it is ;)

@katharmonic All the best for your "long run with bling" tomorrow, enjoy it :smile:

@RespectTheKitty Glad to read that you have recovered completely. And you saw a coyote, how cool!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Pipe bomb explosion in Seaside Park NJ cancels 5K this morning.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/explosion-evacuates-seaside-park-boardwalk-area-reports
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    6---28 min swim
    8---20 min crutches walk
    9---30 min crutches walk
    11---25 min crutches walk
    12---weights
    13---30 min swim
    15---2.3 mile crutches walk
    16---1.5 mile crutches walk
    17---1.3 mile walk Step Out of Darkness recovery/addiction.

Not Advisable races:

10/02/16 Spirit of Survival Lawton OK Quarter Marathon.
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (registered)

Advisable races:

March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Pipe bomb explosion in Seaside Park NJ cancels 5K this morning.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/explosion-evacuates-seaside-park-boardwalk-area-reports

Really glad no one was injured. Fingers crossed they find the guilty party.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow @MobyCarp. Sounds like the rest day was a good idea. I feel you on the forecast tomorrow. It keeps improving a bit but whether by humidity or rain showers chances of being soaking wet at the end are almost 100%.

On that note, I'm kind of worried about chafing for my "test" half marathon tomorrow. Someone suggested to me putting KT tape on chafe prone areas. Do you guys do that? I'm mostly worried about the sports bra band - that's really the only thing I've had trouble with in the past. I have moisture wicking socks and body glide as well. Any last minute tips?

Upcoming races:
    9/18 CNY Bread Run Half, Fabius, NY (test run, long run with bling, not racing))
    10/9 Empire State Half Marathon, Syracuse NY (official first marathon)
    11/13 Burn Run 5k or 10k, E. Syracuse NY (not signed up yet)
    11/24 Turkey Trot 5k, Cedar Rapids IA (maybe?)
    12/3 St. Nick Shuffle 5k, Syracuse NY
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @katharmonic since it's a test run, take it easy and enjoy it. I pushed too hard in my first HM and now feel the need to really do well on my next one, to make up for it. Good luck!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @greenolivetree I believe someone else has already said that you should buy Both items.
    LED lights ( Headlamp, Knuckle, Shoe and Coat/shirt grabbers) and Reflective Clothing. You need the lights when on rolling hills, curvy trails to improve-increase how far away drivers can see you. Reflective clothing is just a good basic safety practise. There is a reason the Hi-Way construction workers always have reflective vests.

@RunRachelleRun I think that is the best description of Rain I have ever heard, "absolutely pouring out, even my Garmin switched into swimming mode halfway through my run :p "
    For socks in Wet conditions I now always drag out my Smart Wool Knee High's. Usually I will have on a Gore-Tex Shell Pant so everything above the ankle is covered. I Find the Smart wool seems to Wick/Migrate the Moisture out of the Shoe up the leg where Body Heat Evaporates it = Drier Feet. They are actually sold for Downhill Skiing but I pulled them out of the Ski Kit one day and now keep some in my running kit.

16.6 km today as Roving Photographer on the Miserable Miles Obstacle Race today.
    Started out at 0830 - 8C and misty rain. By 1500 it was Blazing Sunshine and 20C.

I actually ran the course twice. Followed the first wave of 20 Athletes out of the gate up the Hill and through the obstacles. The Fast runners quickly left me and the Middle of the Packers in the dust. I followed them 1/3 around then waited for the next heat to come around and followed them. Repeated this following groups around until I got back to the start. Then took off to go around again. Completely different lighting - weather in the 2nd half. Since I was a Roving Volunteer that meant a Backpack, Camelback, All weather gear, First Aid Kit, Event Radio, Camera kit and Food. A great day but I am bagged now!!!! Sometimes you would go up and down in one area to get the different sight lines. Actually only about 12 km if you just ran the course twice so I added 4.6km in chasing sight lines.

exercise.png

09/01 – 0.0 km – 0.0 - 140 km – 842.7 km
    09/04 – 8.0 km – 8.0 – 132.0 km
    09/06 – 8.0 km – 16.0 – 126.0 km
    09/08 – 8.0 km – 24.0 – 118.0 km
    09/10 – 7.0 km – 31.0 – 111.0 km
    09/11 – 10.0 km – 41.0 – 101.0 km
    09/13 – 6.0 km – 47.0 – 95.0 km
    09/16 –12.0 km – 59.0 – 83.0 km
    09/16 –16.6 km – 75.6 – 66.4km – YTD 918.3 km Miserable Miles Photography Volunteer

Considering it was the first event at this site it was pretty darn good, 170+ Paid Entries, 3 DNS, 2 DNF - no DQ. They received 3-4 suggestions for improvement - Shorter Times between Heat Starts, Slightly different location for water stations, a little better marking in 2-3 locations, seeded heats with a 5km time as a reference. This would allow the slower athletes to go out first and finish with a people still milling around to cheer them in. ie Better Social Interaction Post Race.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks @_nikkiwolf_ and @MNLittleFinn. That's exactly what I am planning - to take it easy and just enjoy the run/race day fun. I want to save up for my goal race in 3 weeks.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - I used to use my NoxGear Tracer 360 (https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360), but one of the fiber optic cables broke, and my repair skills were less than adequate. I will probably replace it sooner or later. I am currently using a Supermart 1000Lm Tactical CREE LED Display Rechargeable Wrist Watch Flashlight Torch, and it seems to be sufficient for both my safety and for reading street signs on a somewhat unfamiliar route I'm trying out lately.

Of course, I'm also wearing shorts with some reflective stuff on 'em and I run shirtless ('cause, you know, dark and no one to see the hideousness), so there's a fair amount of very pale semi-reflective human skin to help.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Thanks @_nikkiwolf_ and @MNLittleFinn. That's exactly what I am planning - to take it easy and just enjoy the run/race day fun. I want to save up for my goal race in 3 weeks.

Sounds like a perfect plan. What are you looking at for goal time at your goal race?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Seeing your post about how good the massage was for you I will have to try one. I have never had one so it promises to be an experience. "rest day and massage day"