September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Years ago I would have laughed at people wearing 1 inch shorts. Now I am that people. And damn these thighs look sweet.
    I worked damned hard for this body (both on the big side (hey, it's not easy eating a whole pizza!), and now on the not-so-big side). So I just say
    And if they stare
    Just let them burn their eyes
    On you moving.

Besides - SWMBO says I look good for a 52-year-old man. SCORE!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I have two races now. :smile:

September - Beat the Blerch virtual 5k
    October - Morton Arboretum Fall Color Run virtual 5k

welcome to the addiction
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Just got my first oiselle shorts in. They're the toolbelt rogas. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow! I put them on today just to see how much crap i could stuff in the pockets... Phone plus two huma gels in the big one, 2 gus in one small one, one huma gel in the other small one. That left the inside key pocket and the rear zip pocket unused. Holy jeez... Thank God for drawstrings!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @lporter229- congrats!!!
    @ohhim - It's not cool here yet. But you know that, lol. Let us know when you register!

Wow, we better all just take the day off in April. We will have 3 of our virtual friends in Boston! It was awesome last year with just @MobyCarp in it! Now we will have 3. And the year after... @Stoshew71 & @kristinegift!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I can't get my paste to work on my phone.

9/16 - 5 miles

63 of 115 miles

Skip and I ran at the beach today. Beautiful day. Sorry if my pictures are real big. They are having a problem with the poor foxes having mange. Yummy pork roll, egg and cheese on a bagel. @stoshew71 maybe I'll see you at the airport.

oyc38429dtl4.jpg
    eykz6me4h9a0.jpg

bsbmrm2puqph.jpg

nsrj7j3mrt0w.jpg

kvpfou0xwrr0.jpg

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @lporter229- congrats!!!
    @ohhim - It's not cool here yet. But you know that, lol. Let us know when you register!

Wow, we better all just take the day off in April. We will have 3 of our virtual friends in Boston! It was awesome last year with just @MobyCarp in it! Now we will have 3. And the year after... @Stoshew71 & @kristinegift!

Day off for sure! I think this is so awesome!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @ceciliaslater yea! On the shorts! I live my Oiselle shorts. I have the roga. I'll have to check out the tool belt ones and the ones @kristinegift wears, the slimmer fit ones. I haven't been brave enough to wear the tighter ones. Especially after being off, my rear is like 80 now.

Definitely feeling like I've made progress this week. Hope the doc agrees Wednesday and says I can work on running without crutches.

@skippygirlsmom love the pictures! We lived in Delaware for a few years and visited Jersey family often. Poor little foxes.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I was going to ask what that creature was under the railing and then I read the rest of your post..............yucky fox, poor thing! We have coyotes here where I live but they definitely look better than that, although I do keep pepper spray on me when I run early in the AM with my dog.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 6 miles
    9/6: 6 miles
    9/7: 4 miles
    9/8: 3.2 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/9: Rest day
    9/10: 5.3 miles
    9/11: 13.1 - Via HM
    9/12: 3 miles with the Coffee Crew!
    9/13: 7.9 miles
    9/14: 4.3 miles run commute home
    9/15: 7.3 miles run commute to work
    ........: 6.2 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/16: Rest day

Rest day and MASSAGE DAY! I went straight from work to the spaaaaaaah and oh my gosh, I knew I was tight but I didn't realize I was THAT tight. I let the masseuse do a whole body massage instead of focusing on the legs and she found some gnarly knots in my back and shoulders (thanks, push-ups / planks) but she grunted trying to massage the knots in my calves, hamstrings and IT bands. But I feel so much better now, it's unbelievable. I signed up for a monthly massage membership package at this spa, and I have not regretted it.

Looking forward to a weekend of miles and smiles ;) Cooler temps, good company, and a local food fest after my long run Sunday makes for a good weekend!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11 LVHN Via Half-Marathon DONE!
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    3 mile run this morning with 1 mile walk on each end for 5 total. I had asthma issues and walked half the big hill. Which may have been a blessing in disguise because right after I stopped running to walk and approached a curve in the hill 2 deer jumped out in the trail. I think they would've pummeled me if I'd been running around that curve. I ended up beating my time on another hill after that so that was some consolation.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just got my first oiselle shorts in. They're the toolbelt rogas. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow! I put them on today just to see how much crap i could stuff in the pockets... Phone plus two huma gels in the big one, 2 gus in one small one, one huma gel in the other small one. That left the inside key pocket and the rear zip pocket unused. Holy jeez... Thank God for drawstrings!

@ceciliaslater I hope you love them! I really wanted the toolbelt rogas to work for me, but I'm between sizes :'( One fell off when I tried to run with a phone in the pocket, and the other was so tight across the front that I laughed at the, uh... "camel toe" emphasis. But I loved how much you could stuff in the pockets!!

Elise4270 wrote: »
    @ceciliaslater yea! On the shorts! I live my Oiselle shorts. I have the roga. I'll have to check out the tool belt ones and the ones @kristinegift wears, the slimmer fit ones. I haven't been brave enough to wear the tighter ones. Especially after being off, my rear is like 80 now.

Definitely feeling like I've made progress this week. Hope the doc agrees Wednesday and says I can work on running without crutches.

@Elise4270 I loooove my strides; you could rock them, I bet :) But everyone else I know who has ever tried rogas loves them. I am envious. Hope you can start to move about crutch-free soon!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    6---28 min swim
    8---20 min crutches walk
    9---30 min crutches walk
    11---25 min crutches walk
    12---weights
    13---30 min swim
    15---2.3 mile crutches walk
    16---1.5 mile crutches walk. Feeling a little closer to normal...

Not Advisable races: dum dum dummmm

10/02/16 Spirit of Survival Lawton OK Quarter Marathon.
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK (registered)
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half (registered)
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016 (registered)

Advisable races:

March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Another day, another trip to the gym. My shin hasn't hurt at all in a few days, so of course I really want to try running already but I'm forcing myself not to! My follow up appointment is next friday, so hopefully I'll get cleared to return to running then! *fingres crossed*

Also, regarding the "18 things list" - number 10 is even more true when you are injured! I honest to god glare at every single person running on the gym treadmills. And even harder at everyone I see running outside. Or even wearing a race shirt. Or talking about running. Basically, everyone I know has been avoiding saying the "r word" around me because they know it will set me off... either to anger or tears :tired_face:

8/06: bike- 5 min easy, 10x(2 min hard/1 min easy), 5 min easy + core
    8/07: 30 min steady state, elliptical + 6.5 min walk (3.4 mph) + core
    8/09: bike - 5 min easy, 6x(4 min hard/2 min easy), 5 min easy + 1.3 mile walk (leisurely)
    8/10: 1.5 km swim + 25 minutes deep water running interspersed + core
    8/12: 2.5 km swim + 25 minutes deep water running interspersed
    8/13: bike- 5 min easy, 10x(2 min hard/1 min easy), 25 min easy + core
    8/14: core
    8/15: 45 min steady state bike + 12 min walk (3.6 mph) + 2.5 km swim + 10 min deep water running
    8/16: 60 min steady state bike + 15 min walk (5 @ 3.5 mph, 10 @ 3.8 mph) + core
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I need advice on what to buy for early morning running since it's getting light much later. Reflective or led? Belt, vest, wristband? Headlamp? I can see pretty good with street lights but I want to BE SEEN by drivers. What's the best option/brand? And not annoying to get on because it's hard enough getting out the door before 6am as is :-/
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

9/1....4 miles
    9/4...6 miles
    9/9....6 miles...
    9/10....4 miles
    9/11...9 miles.
    9/14....4 miles
    9/16....4.07 miles....rolling hills program on the treadmill, pace at 11:06.

First day of weight lifting after I fell on the ladder. Left knee felt okay doing the goblet squats and dumbbell rows. it still hurts to put pressure on the knee, but not to bend it or use it normally. Drenched in sweat after running on the treadmill. Didn't get a lot of sleep today...only 3 hours.

I just received news that I am getting a raise...the first one in 8 years...so excited!

total is 37.07 miles. Goal is 70 miles.

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/8/16
    One America Half Marathon 5/6/17

@kristinegift Thanks for the advice on waiting until after my October race to work on building my base. I think that I might incorporate some strategic walking breaks...so that I can finish strong at the end. I don't think that my base is strong enough to run the whole race without seriously slowing down at the end.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @juliet3455- Where in the world are you????

@lporter229 I Live in Northern Canada. Peace River, Alberta. A little YouTube Video of my HT. Right around the 1 minute mark they show a view of Misery Mtn our local Ski Hill and amazing X-Country Running Trails. The first picture below shows the rolling hills on the West side of the River looking North. Some amazing trails in the area. Pictures never really do them justice 6emuchbcputq.png
    A look from Downtown looking West at the Misery Mtn Ski Hill ( Riverbank ) This is a dated photo as it does not show the new Blue Chairlift or runs on the left side of the picture. That really steep looking drop off to the left ( 5 fingers of treeless terrain pointing downhill ) is where the start of the "Downhill" Finish of the running track starts for this event. Just about need a parachute.
    pawf7f1ubr6a.png

This week for work I was a long way north of home 7-8 hours of hard driving one way - in the Northwest Territories. Beautiful country just no time to get a run in - to late = to dark.

12 km tonight after getting back from travelling.
    2 laps around the Misery Mountain Trails ( 58:17 and 62:14 on 2nd lap ) Some serious Steep uphill/downhill.
    Helping out the organizers of the local ( inaugural ) Miserable Miles Obstacle race. They wanted some people who had not been on the course and not running in the event to do a full Run through of the course to identify any areas that needed more flagging/safety marking. This will be similar to a Zulu or Spartan race with obstacles, Balance beams, Low walls, High Walls, army crawls, Log Drag, Tire flipping etc. I have been running for quite a while in this area and still finding new trails that I didn't know were on the Hill. It finished with a 1 km Downhill ( black diamond ski trail ) run to the base. :) Serious fun and no Face Plants.

The best advice I can give anyone doing one of these is to wear some light Fingerless Gloves ( Bicycle Gloves) to protect the Palms of the Hands from wear and tear.

exercise.png

09/01 – 0.0 km – 0.0 - 140 km
    09/04 – 8.0 km – 8.0 – 132.0 km
    09/06 – 8.0 km – 16.0 – 126.0 km
    09/08 – 8.0 km – 24.0 – 118.0 km
    09/10 – 7.0 km – 31.0 – 111.0 km
    09/11 – 10.0 km – 41.0 – 101.0 km
    09/13 – 6.0 km – 47.0 – 95.0 km
    09/16 –12.0 km – 59.0 – 83.0 km – YTD 901.7 km Miserable Miles Training
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I just received a text from a friend/co-worker in another part of Canada
    They said I must be a celebrity, my reaction ????
    Their answer was my picture is in a Local Running Room magazine with a right up about Training and the mental aspect. Now I have to find that magazine. Can't believe the Goofy Smile I have going ( doing Hill Repeats no one should be smiling ) slpz9c6isdc5.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I need advice on what to buy for early morning running since it's getting light much later. Reflective or led? Belt, vest, wristband? Headlamp? I can see pretty good with street lights but I want to BE SEEN by drivers. What's the best option/brand? And not annoying to get on because it's hard enough getting out the door before 6am as is :-/

All of the Above.

Seriously, I bought these things and used them all in the recent Australian winter just past.

It depended on the exact time of day, and the exact route as to which one/s I used.

I often used a reflective vest and also LED armbands when I was running on roads (both bought on eBay).

Sometimes I even used the armbands when I was just walking. Nighttime is scary when you're out there on foot.

I used the headlamp in the early part of winter on my runs away from streetlamps that were just as dawn was breaking. But I didn't want to run for an hour using a headlamp since my eyes don't seem to work too well, or my headlamp wasn't too bright (unsure of brand; lost the headlamp) and I didn't want to break an ankle.