September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - nice milestone! And weren't you off because of an injury too? Or was that the year before? It's all a blur.

Going into work late today so got to run mostly in daylight. It was really nice out too. Well, not that nice, 73 and 96% humidity :scream: but somehow it didn't seem as bad.

9/1 - 4.8 miles
    9/2 - strength training
    9/3 - 34 miles biking
    9/4 - 100 KM biking (63 miles).
    9/5 - 45 miles biking
    9/6 - 4 miles run
    9/7 - 5.1 miles + Strength training
    9/8 - rest day (avoid the bears)
    9/9 - 5. 0 miles + strength training
    9/10 - 34 miles biking
    9/11 - 100 miles biking
    9/12 - rest day
    9/13 - rest day #2
    9/14 - 5.1 miles
    9/15 - 4 miles
    9/16 - 4.5 miles
    9/17 - 44 miles biking
    9/18 - 38 miles biking
    9/19 - 5 miles
    9/20 - 5 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Thanks for linking the articles on cramping. I may just fry to figure out a way to bring a small amount pickle juice on my 1/2 in 2 weeks. Currently I don't really drink or carry anything with me on runs but might be worth it.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/1 - 4
    9/3 - 4.2
    9/6 - 2.5
    9/7 - 4
    9/8 - 4.2
    9/10 - 5.1
    9/11 - 6
    9/13 - 0.5
    9/14 - 3.5
    9/16 - 3
    9/17 - 4.8
    9/19 - 5.4
    9/20 - 3.5

Today I ran my Beat the Blerch virtual 5k. Figured I'd do that today since I was planning to run a shorter route, and 5k would fit in quite nicely today. I wound up doing the 5k in 36:45, which, according to Strava, is my third best 5k time. I wore my Blerch shirt, which fit quite nicely, but it was alas made of cotton so it got pretty soaked.

Other things that came in the Blerch kit include an official bib, playing cards, a "0.0" sticker and candy. Not sure what I'm going to do with the candy... probably give it to my son.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    BetterMike wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - Thanks for linking the articles on cramping. I may just fry to figure out a way to bring a small amount pickle juice on my 1/2 in 2 weeks. Currently I don't really drink or carry anything with me on runs but might be worth it.

@bettermike if you like mustard it works the same as pickle juice for cramping. Skip had a horrible leg cramp, the hold your calf roll on the floor crying in pain type and within minutes of downing a packet of mustard she was feeling better. Though about 15 mins later she threw up the mustard, she HATES mustard. A nurse standing there when the cramp happened told us about the mustard.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Got in a short run this morning on very little sleep, but I did it..........out now until next week. Going to CO for our daughter's wedding!

Happy Running Everyone!

09/01 – Unplanned Rest Day but swam 45 minutes this afternoon (too hot here to run)
    09/02 – 3 miles – Pretty slow pace but faster than last run and AVG HR only 139
    09/03 – 1.3 miles around basketball court at gym + 90 min strength training
    09/04 – 4 miles, middle two faster, AVG HR 148
    09/05 – Party Day
    09/06 – 3.26 miles – AVG HR 149……….one hill
    09/07 – 90 minutes of strength training
    09/08 – Rest day
    09/09 – 3.3 miles – AVG HR 146, HIGH HR 160 during hill run
    09/10 – 1.3 miles after strength training
    09/11 – 4.16 mile run – Ran middle 2 miles at tempo – AVG HR 147
    09/12 – 95 min strength training
    09/13 – 3.52 mile recovery run – AVG HR 142 – two hills
    09/14 – 90 min strength training
    09/15 – Rest Day
    09/16 – 3.53 mile run – Fastest pace on horse trail yet – AVG HR 145
    09/17 – Unplanned Rest Day – had to work
    09/18 – 4.35 miles – Ran middle 2 at tempo – AVG HR 148
    09/19 – 90 min strength training
    09/20 – 2.95 mile run AVG HR 147
    09/21 - 09/26 Not much running but a little hiking hopefully

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 1 hr walking, not all at once
    9/2 - 4 mi run, 35 min strength
    9/3 - 2.5 mi walk
    9/4-9/10 - NOTHING. Huge break.
    9/11 - 3 mi run, 2 miles walking
    9/12 - 45 min Fitness Blender lower body strength/HIIT workout, 3 mi walk after dinner
    9/13 - 1 hr indoor cardio/upper body
    9/14 - .5 mi walk/3mi run/.3 cool down = 3.8 miles
    9/15 - Rest day
    9/16 - 3 mi run, 2 mile walk = 5 miles
    9/17 - 3.25 mi walk
    9/18 - Rest day
    9/19 - 30 min cardio with a little upper body
    9/20 - 3 mi run plus .8 walking

Goal: Not be in pain

So after work yesterday I did a little workout and thought I'd do more after dinner. But I realized my Garmin had gotten disconnected from my phone. I then spent the next THREE HOURS trying to fix this problem. Yes, I was cooking and cleaning the whole time, but repeatedly trying to pair my watch to my phone/the app. I uninstalled the app several times. Turned Bluetooth off and on. Signed in and out of Garmin over and over. Posted a nasty message on Google Play about the app being a pain latey. Then after 3 hours my hubby said, "Have you restarted your phone?" :| Why does he have to be so smart? :D

My fitbit buzzed a few times this morning before I finally realized "OH! I'm supposed to go run!" and crawled out of bed. I think it was 5:23 and my fitbit had started buzzing at 5:10 and again at 5:20. 5:52 I finally started my walking warmup. I'm definitely not that person who wakes up and is out the door running 5 mins later.

I ran 3 miles - 11:07/10:36/9:39. I think I walked at some point each mile. A friend was sending me multiple texts at that ungodly hour :-p Then my hubby texted that he was leaving for work and I was about 1/4 mile from home so I made it a game to try to get home to wave bye to him, in case he happened to sit in the garage in his car awhile. I did not win that game :( So I continued my run.

Just as I was ready to start running I saw a lady step out of her garage to run, wearing a headlamp. I followed her a little ways and tried to notice how well I could see her. The headlamp did nothing from behind. I could only see the light when she turned. She was doing like me and running on the side with the street lights and I could see her. But there's so many things to consider. Like what if there are two cars and one driver is blinded by the other car's headlights? But in general I still feel pretty safe. I wore a neon green shirt today. Still gotta order my reflective gear/lights/etc.

@karllundy In this day and age, good health numbers are always a big deal! Way to go!

@9voice9 Congrats on 2000K!

@Ray_Libby Nice running :)

@MNLittleFinn Great workout. You're gonna kill that race ;)

@kristinegift Math is not my strong point either!

@KatieJane83 Awesome deal on the shoes. I had ordered a pair of Mizunos but they were so tight! I was bummed as they were a great deal and super cute.

• mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    .........out now until next week. Going to CO for our daughter's wedding!

Congrats! And have fun in the trip!
  • mrs_madison_keane
    Options
    exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @9voice9 - nice milestone! And weren't you off because of an injury too? Or was that the year before? It's all a blur.
    Thanks, and yes, I was recovering earlier from a re-repair of a hernia.
  • merlinofchaos
    merlinofchaos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    9/1 -- 3.25 miles
    9/5 -- 6.25 miles
    9/6 -- 3 miles
    9/8 -- 5.1 miles
    9/10 -- 1.7 miles (unscheduled)
    9/11 -- 4.1 miles
    9/13 -- skipped
    9/15 -- 6.25 miles
    9/17 -- 3.85 miles
    9/20 -- 3.1 miles

36.6/50

My Thursday run will be on my birthday, and because of it this weekend is a bit packed so I'll have to figure out where I'm going to squeeze my run in. But with 4 scheduled runs left this month I'm right on track, assuming I can figure out how to stay on schedule.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    BetterMike wrote: »

...here ya go! http://www.tastingtable.com/drinks/national/Canned-pickle-brine
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner Welcome Lisa. We're happy to have you here.

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

September 1 - 12.8km - Tempo&Reps/4:20, 3:30
    September 2 - 7.7 km - Easy/6:00
    September 3 - 6.1 km - Easy/6:30
    September 4 - 17.2km - MP/4:35
    September 5 - rest
    September 6 - 8.0 km - Easy+ST/6:05
    September 7 - 8.9 km - Easy/5:40
    September 8 - 17.2km - Tempo/4:25
    September 9 - 9.1 km - Easy+ST/5:40
    September 10- 5.9 km - Easy/6:23
    September 11- 18.5km - Progressive Long Run (6:00-4:20)
    September 12- rest
    September 13- 8.8 km - Easy+ST/6:00
    September 14- 12.0km - Tempo&Reps/4:15, 3:30
    September 15- 9.1 km - Easy+ST/5:45
    September 16- 7.0 km - Easy/6:03
    September 17- 6.4 km - Easy/7:00
    September 18- 15.2km - Race/4:39
    September 19- 10.2km - Easy+ST/5:40

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,080 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    06/09 3 miles not all running but took same effort
    07/09 3 miles, I'm going to call it a recovery run as that's what it was for me! ;)
    08/09 3 miles Its was really windy so when the wind was behind me it was like running on air but when it was against me it was like someone was pulling me backwards. Still better than too hot! I can feel my ankle improving.
    15/09 3 miles
    16/09 3 miles
    20/09 3 miles

I think I pushed a little too hard last Friday as my ankle swollen again so I think slow and steady is the way to go.

@MobyCarp - Sorry to read how Rochester ended for you but ditto what the others have said!

@katharmonic - Well done on completing your half marathon

exercise.png

• johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    slacked bad this weekend...but back on it...
    exercise.png

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    These posts are building quicker than I can read them at the moment - that obviously means you're all running machines so congrats to all of you that have been getting out there - it's so inspiring! Having been off myself (admittedly only for a short time) I also feel for those of you that haven't been able to!

@_nikkiwolf_ - love the look of your forest trail run. The only things similar here are very hilly so I've yet to try them out.

Today, I got out for my second run post minor ankle injury. After having no ill effects from yesterdays run and seeing it was a bit cooler at 17C with cloud cover I decided to do a fast (for me!) 5k. Anyway, I managed to smash my previous best time by over 2 minutes - down from 31:46 to 29:40. I was particularly pleased it was a consistent run. After the first km (5:59) I thought I'd gone out too fast but decided to see if I could keep it up and kms 2, 3 and 4 were 5:58, 6:02 and 6:02. Realising I could break the 30-minute barrier I gave it all for a fast finish and actually did the last km in 5:38 compared to a previous best on the flat of 6:05! [NB: Times are from GPS app on phone] I'm so chuffed and again absolutely no problems from my ankle so double win!

After my two weeks out I've downgraded my target to 70km for the month (from 110km) - means I've got a fair amount to fit into the last 10 days but determined to make it! Next few weeks are going to be about building distance now I've reached my first speed goal, (5k in 30). Next goals are my first 10k and working out my pre-run fuelling/hydration strategy as that's still complete guesswork for me - much easier on the bike!

exercise.png

For the distance runners out there, is 6 months enough time to train for a marathon? Longest I've run to date is 5miles and that was with 2 short (90 second) walking breaks along the way. I've just found out today there is a new marathon starting next year in Southend, which is a seaside town a few miles away from me so should be nice - it's along the seafront so would be a flat (though potentially very windy) course. Having a goal would spur me on, but I obviously don't want to set myself up for failure and I've heard that a full marathon is like a completely different activity to 10K and even HM - is this true? I'm also a bit concerned about how training will go over winter - I've only just come around to the idea of running at all but treadmill running those long distances seems mind numbingly boring to me.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    For the distance runners out there, is 6 months enough time to train for a marathon? Longest I've run to date is 5miles and that was with 2 short (90 second) walking breaks along the way. I've just found out today there is a new marathon starting next year in Southend, which is a seaside town a few miles away from me so should be nice - it's along the seafront so would be a flat (though potentially very windy) course. Having a goal would spur me on, but I obviously don't want to set myself up for failure and I've heard that a full marathon is like a completely different activity to 10K and even HM - is this true? I'm also a bit concerned about how training will go over winter - I've only just come around to the idea of running at all but treadmill running those long distances seems mind numbingly boring to me.

From a long run of 5 miles to marathon in just 6 months is a tall order. Part of the equation is going to be your goals. If you want to be able to run the entire route, that might be tough. If you're ok with some sort of walk/run intervals, you could probably do it.

Perhaps the key is avoiding ANY injury during your training. On one hand you'd be (at least I'd be) wanting to push to get to the longer training distances before the marathon, but on the other hand the short time you have would make it critical that you take it conservatively to avoid that injury.

Do they have a HM option? If they do, I'd be inclined to got that route first, then do the full marathon the following year.

If that's not an option and you really want to do this, go for it, but realize you really need to be cautious about building up your weekly mileage so you're not battling injury and missing key training runs.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    dkabambe wrote: »

From a long run of 5 miles to marathon in just 6 months is a tall order. Part of the equation is going to be your goals. If you want to be able to run the entire route, that might be tough. If you're ok with some sort of walk/run intervals, you could probably do it.

Perhaps the key is avoiding ANY injury during your training. On one hand you'd be (at least I'd be) wanting to push to get to the longer training distances before the marathon, but on the other hand the short time you have would make it critical that you take it conservatively to avoid that injury.

Do they have a HM option? If they do, I'd be inclined to got that route first, then do the full marathon the following year.

If that's not an option and you really want to do this, go for it, but realize you really need to be cautious about building up your weekly mileage so you're not battling injury and missing key training runs.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

That's some good advice. I've already run a half, have another this coming weekend, and have a 14 mile long run under my belt, and I'm still debating with myself whether or not I'm ready to end NEXT running season with a full. I'll be (hopefully) making that decision this weekend. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and train smart, not hard!