No weight loss

Options

Replies

• Luvlybubly
    Luvlybubly Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I know I may be annoying some people about going on and on. Sorry.
    It's just so frustrating and upsetting.

I've gone from almost totally sedantry to being very active in a short time. I was expecting to see a result on the scales. Even if I lost half a pound in almost 2 weeks I'd be happy.

I do have kitchen scales.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have received some good advice, and I would add that you really need to drink more water; don't go below 1200 calories; ditch the packaged food (I'm assuming you mean things like Lean Cuisine, etc.?), you'll feel far more satisfied with 400 calories at each meal of your own cooking than a Lean Cuisine and be getting far more nutrients. Also, I would add some weight lifting into your day. Even if the weight doesn't drop off quickly, you'll be losing inches, and lifting weights makes you (me) :), feel energized, strong, and the extra muscle helps keep your metabolism revved. Most importantly, don't give up!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I know I may be annoying some people about going on and on. Sorry.

I've gone from almost totally sedantry to being very active in a short time. I was expecting to see a result on the scales. Even if I lost half a pound in almost 2 weeks I'd be happy.

My issue concerns those that, begin a thread & never return and/or when they're told something, that they don't desire to be told; they go ballistic. So your threads're refreshing!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

The first few weeks are always the hardest. We understand as we've all been there before. You've gotten some great advice, and the best thing I can tell you is not to quit. If it was easy, no one would be overweight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Not annoying. You posted a concern, you were honest, and we were able to help! I see this as sucess.

There are some threads where a person posts something exactly like this and we pull at straws. Sometimes they never return to the thread again... LOL

You got this. Come back and tell us how you are doing! :):)
  • Luvlybubly
    Options
    I'll definally keep you all posted.
    You've all been so helpful. Was feeling sorry for myself. And started to feel depressed. I'm perking up now.
    I'll keep plugging away
    Thank you
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    One other thing to remember: Bathroom scales look like they're very accurate, but they're not. Even on a digital scale, you're not going to see the scale numbers read your weight loss like a steady ticking down - because every time you stand on the scale, it's actually measuring your weight within a *range,* and the accuracy range of most bathroom scales is +/- up to a few pounds.
  • Luvlybubly
    Options
    Could it be because I'm exercising almost everyday?
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'll definally keep you all posted.
    You've all been so helpful. Was feeling sorry for myself. And started to feel depressed. I'm perking up now.
    I'll keep plugging away
    Thank you

I think when people start to feel sorry for themselves is when they're most likely to throw the towel in. Stay positive, you know what you need to do, just give it time :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Could it be because I'm exercising almost everyday?

Exercise is good for you. Do it if you can.

It doesn't "stop" you from losing weight.

Do all those things in the chart. Be consistent with logging everything you eat every day. Look at your food page at the end of the day and see how you are doing keeping up with your Protein, Fat, Carbohydrates. Work on getting those in line every day. It gives you a goal that is achievable, and good nutrition WILL help your mood and ability to keep going.

When I first started I was overwhelmed, too. I lost 70 pounds and I feel like a completely different person.

When your commitment is lacking, go to the Success Stories area on this site. It is inspirational!

One day at a time, lovely. :)

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    starting a new exercise routine can stall the scales because you'll retain water to help heal your muscles. it can last a few weeks. factor in what time of the month it is (even on bc), sodium spikes (especially in pre-packaged foods) and just the newness of it all and that can lead to a slow start.

it may be slow the whole time, not just at the start too. especially if you have an issue with thyroid and a medication which increases appetite. (for me it's pcos) i see a ton of mfpals on my feed who are dropping at two or three times the rate i am. i weigh myself every day and track it on happy scale where it tells you the trends of your weight loss and that helps me. eventually my low days become my high days . . . eventually.

the two most helpful things for me which i see on the boards all the time are these:

"if you quit now, you'll never know where you could be in 6 months or a year."

and for sustainability i like "he/she who eats the most food and still loses weight wins"
    plug your stats into mfp and let them figure out your calories, then try to stick to that. it's easier to stick with this if you're happy and sated. 1000 calories wouldn't do it for most.

good luck and keep on!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Are you tracking your body measurements as well? Water weight can mask scale loss and we can retain water for lots of reasons: hormones, time of month, ovulation, new/intense exercise especially lifting weights and HIIT, high levels of sodium...

And you never really answered whether you use a food scale to weigh all your solid food. You can easily wipe out your deficit if not, I know I suck at eyeballing portion sizes and would have been lost without my scale as I'm only at .5lb per week deficit.

Hi Capaul,
    I started measuring myself a few days ago after noticing that I've not lost weight.
    I don't get monthly cycles, because of contraception.
    Ive not really been lifting weights. Mainly been doing cardio dancing I.e. Zumba and low impact exercise, as well as abs exercises.

I've not weighed my foods. As I've been buying packaged foods. So I've followed the calories. Even measured wine lol.
    You lose 5lb per week?? Blimey, that's good.

Just to let you know, I have an IUD and stopped getting my period. After tracking my weight daily, I noticed I still get monthly weight spikes though.

I personally like weighing daily and using an app that tracks my overall trend weight as opposed to just going by what's on the scale. It helps balance out fluctuations and is easier for me, and there were times that I thought I was stagnating, but there was an overall downward trend. But, a lot of people don't like weighing daily, so YMMV.
  • Luvlybubly
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Are you tracking your body measurements as well? Water weight can mask scale loss and we can retain water for lots of reasons: hormones, time of month, ovulation, new/intense exercise especially lifting weights and HIIT, high levels of sodium...

And you never really answered whether you use a food scale to weigh all your solid food. You can easily wipe out your deficit if not, I know I suck at eyeballing portion sizes and would have been lost without my scale as I'm only at .5lb per week deficit.

Hi Capaul,
    I started measuring myself a few days ago after noticing that I've not lost weight.
    I don't get monthly cycles, because of contraception.
    Ive not really been lifting weights. Mainly been doing cardio dancing I.e. Zumba and low impact exercise, as well as abs exercises.

I've not weighed my foods. As I've been buying packaged foods. So I've followed the calories. Even measured wine lol.
    You lose 5lb per week?? Blimey, that's good.

Just to let you know, I have an IUD and stopped getting my period. After tracking my weight daily, I noticed I still get monthly weight spikes though.

I personally like weighing daily and using an app that tracks my overall trend weight as opposed to just going by what's on the scale. It helps balance out fluctuations and is easier for me, and there were times that I thought I was stagnating, but there was an overall downward trend. But, a lot of people don't like weighing daily, so YMMV.

What is trend weight?
  • Luvlybubly
    Options
    starting a new exercise routine can stall the scales because you'll retain water to help heal your muscles. it can last a few weeks. factor in what time of the month it is (even on bc), sodium spikes (especially in pre-packaged foods) and just the newness of it all and that can lead to a slow start.

it may be slow the whole time, not just at the start too. especially if you have an issue with thyroid and a medication which increases appetite. (for me it's pcos) i see a ton of mfpals on my feed who are dropping at two or three times the rate i am. i weigh myself every day and track it on happy scale where it tells you the trends of your weight loss and that helps me. eventually my low days become my high days . . . eventually.

the two most helpful things for me which i see on the boards all the time are these:

"if you quit now, you'll never know where you could be in 6 months or a year."

and for sustainability i like "he/she who eats the most food and still loses weight wins"
    plug your stats into mfp and let them figure out your calories, then try to stick to that. it's easier to stick with this if you're happy and sated. 1000 calories wouldn't do it for most.

good luck and keep on!

Happy scales? Whats that?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Trend weight is a website that works with fitbit to track your weight.

https://trendweight.com

I believe happy scales is similar but an app for your phone.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just. Keep. Going.

When I first got really serious last year I went a whole 5 weeks with not a budge on the scale. I had started an intense workout schedule and my measurements were shrinking rapidly so I just kept going. I got a big whoosh and that's how it goes for me now, 2-4 weeks of nothing then whoosh. Apparently I'm a camel cleverly disguised as a human lady.

I've now lost 50lbs with about 30 more to go. If I had given up during that 5 weeks last year I'd probably still have a good portion of that 50lbs still firmly attached to my person.

And tracking the weight trends is really helpful (I use Happy Scale, an app for my phone), last week I bounced up nearly 3lbs for a week, I hadn't eaten enough for that to happen but it was shark week. I was also sick. End of shark week, few days rest from exercise and those 3lbs plus one more whooshed off and let me record a new low.

Just be consistent. Think about this just being what you do now and the results will come.
  • Luvlybubly
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Trend weight is a website that works with fitbit to track your weight.

https://trendweight.com

I believe happy scales is similar but an app for your phone.

Ah, I've just seen the app. I've downloaded it.

I don't have a Fitbit. I have the garmin vivoactive hr.

Thank you I'll take a look at the website now.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    It's been almost 2 weeks now that I've been trying to loose weight. Been eating 1.000-1.4000 calories per day. Been exercising everyday doing 8000-10000 steps ( cardio ). And I have not even lost half a pound.
    Gonna give it 1 more week, if no change, gonna quit.

If you haven't done it for 3+ months, you haven't even made an attempt. This is about a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet.