A whine: over 50, went back to college, tomorrow is my gym class

Options
Holy cow. I went back to college part-time several years ago (anthropology), which is fine. However, I have to take a freaking gym class once a week. Tomorrow is the first night. Oh, my God. It's almost 2 hours. This will be the ultimate test of whether I really want the degree or not. I am so humiliated and haven't even gone yet.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    Holy cow. I went back to college part-time several years ago (anthropology), which is fine. However, I have to take a freaking gym class once a week. Tomorrow is the first night. Oh, my God. It's almost 2 hours. This will be the ultimate test of whether I really want the degree or not. I am so humiliated and haven't even gone yet.

I'm sure you'll do great. My favorite part about college was the choices of classes we could choose from. For my "gym" classes I did a self defense class and an archery class. It may be too late to change your work load, but I had a lot of fun finding new things I enjoyed.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I'm sure you'll do great. My favorite part about college was the choices of classes we could choose from. For my "gym" classes I did a self defense class and an archery class. It may be too late to change your work load, but I had a lot of fun finding new things I enjoyed.

Agreed! I took bowling and judo to meet my PE requirements. I'm sure your class will not be very intense. You got this!
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Thanks. I wish we had a self-defense or archery class to choose from, but nope, just a plain old gym class. :)

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    At least I think they stopped playing dodge ball. :) I hated that game. I was a fan of red rover though. It's been so long since I've taken a standard gym class. My guess is that colleges are used to different age ranges and abilities, and can tailor the activities for everyone.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Look at it as another learning experience and a way to increase your physical fitness - a good thing at any age.

What is it that has you feeling embarrassed (humiliated)?
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Is it a Pass/Fail or a letter grade? I bet if you talked with the instructor, you might find that you just have to show up and participate. And not be a supreme athlete medaling in the Olympics.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!!! ( It might not be so bad after all!)
  • PennWalker
    Options
    Is it a Pass/Fail or a letter grade? I bet if you talked with the instructor, you might find that you just have to show up and participate. And not be a supreme athlete medaling in the Olympics.

A letter grade. I have almost a 4.0 after doing this part-time for several years and don't want a bad grade. It's kind of a blast to go back and get great grades and be in the Honor Society, LOL.

I am physically fit for my age (I walk and hike), but I am not willing to do anything to injure myself. I'm a widow and if I break something, nobody is around to take care of me. No balance beam, no climbing ropes, no sit ups or crunches (they make tiny fractures in the spine over time).

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Yes, I plan to talk to the instructor before the class and hope the person is reasonable.
  • PennWalker
    Options
    You can do it!!!!! ( It might not be so bad after all!)

LOL, we'll see. I wish I could make a video but I'm sure they wouldn't let me.
  • PennWalker
    Options
    Look at it as another learning experience and a way to increase your physical fitness - a good thing at any age.

What is it that has you feeling embarrassed (humiliated)?

I feel embarrassed because most of the people will be 18-22 and I am old enough to be their grandmother. The Dork Factor, I guess.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I just finished my bachelor's in June and turned 50 in March so I feel you. I'm a bit surprised, however, that there are colleges with a PE requirement. I've never heard of that before now. I attended the University of Arizona years ago and took a gymnastics class while I was going there just for fun; there was no requirement for it. I took a tennis class at my local community college, too. The grade was based on a couple of written exams about the rules and we had to be able to hit the ball into some circles on the court within a certain number of tries. I don't even remember what the grade in the gymnastics class was based on, I don't remember having to take any sort of test.

You're going to do fine in this class. Odds are, even if there's a physical requirement for the grade the instructor will make an age allowance for you if it's something based on endurance. You'll also probably be surprised how the other "kids" in the class will treat you and you may not even be the youngest one. There was always someone older than me in my classes.
  • PennWalker
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. I appreciate the support. I'll show up tomorrow and just take it with a sense of humor (I hope).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My PE requirement in college was not very intense. It wasn't my favorite way to spend my time but we were not doing any balance beams, climbing ropes, playing dodgeball, soccer or rough sports. We had to run at the beginning and end of the semester with the goal of improving our time. We had a health unit that included cpr. We had to choose a couple of activities to do. (I did folk dancing and aerobics.)
    I'd just go see what it is like and then speak to your instructor if you need to adapt something. Not all 18-22 year olds are athletes in prime shape either.
  • Mnaminal
    Mnaminal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I was in undergrad, there was an 83yo gentleman who came back to school part time to get a BS in Chemistry because "back when I last took chemistry, there were only 80 something elements". He also was in my weight training class. We adored him. In my experience, college kids don't have it out for returning students at all. There was a general "good for you" vibe.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. I appreciate the support. I'll show up tomorrow and just take it with a sense of humor (I hope).

How'd it go, @PennWalker?
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options

You're looking at this all wrong. Look at it as a great opportunity to work out, to interact with your fellow students and to get credit towards meeting a goal (a degree). Go and enjoy it and let us know how it all goes for you.

"Change the way that you look at things and things will change the way that they look." ~ Wayne Dyer
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Inquiring minds want to know. ;-) How'd it go?
  • PennWalker
    Options

You're looking at this all wrong. Look at it as a great opportunity to work out, to interact with your fellow students and to get credit towards meeting a goal (a degree). Go and enjoy it and let us know how it all goes for you.

"Change the way that you look at things and things will change the way that they look." ~ Wayne Dyer

Yeah, yeah :) I know you're right. I've been doing this part-time for a while, but running around in a gym is humiliating. We'll see what happens.
  • PennWalker
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Inquiring minds want to know. ;-) How'd it go?

Hasn't happened yet. My big moment is tonight at 6 PM. >:)
  • PennWalker
    Options
    Mnaminal wrote: »
    When I was in undergrad, there was an 83yo gentleman who came back to school part time to get a BS in Chemistry because "back when I last took chemistry, there were only 80 something elements". He also was in my weight training class. We adored him. In my experience, college kids don't have it out for returning students at all. There was a general "good for you" vibe.

Very cool. I intend to take classes until they carry me out feet first. I have an 89 year old friend who doesn't go to college but takes seminars. Your life is whatever you want it to be. :)