A whine: over 50, went back to college, tomorrow is my gym class

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,977 Member
    Options
    How'd it go, @PennWalker? Thinking of you. :)
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    How'd it go, @PennWalker? Thinking of you. :)

Thanks, my big moment is tonight at 6 PM, hardy har har. >:)
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You said you are fit hike and walk regularly, I would be more worried that you will be intimidating those youngsters. You will be surprised how many youngsters are thin but have no energy, stamina, or strength. Looks like you've got it made. They will be the ones embarrassed. Let the competitions start. They will look to you for inspiration and try to compete with you. You've got this.
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    :):D<3
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,977 Member
    Options
    :) Excellent!!
  • sandrachis
    sandrachis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think this is a wonderful story! It is hard to believe that other people have their own concerns and aren't focused on me, me, me. I returned to school as an older student and had the time of my life. Good for you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,212 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    So I went to the gym class tonight.
    Grumble grumble grumble.
    We were in a classroom waiting for the instructor.
    Grumble grumble grumble.
    Yes, I am the oldest one there. Whatever.
    Grumble grumble.
    I looked up and saw the back of the instructor, an athletic woman with short hair. I thought I would go up to her and explain how I am older and blah blah. She turned around and she is one of my neighbors, HA HA HA. I have been talking to her for years. I always pass her and her partner jogging or biking or walking their dogs. They're big dog people and so am I. She's also one of the nicest, naturally sunny people I have ever met. We were laughing tonight how it's so cool that I am taking her class.
    HA HA HA.
    The class will be a blast. I'm so looking forward to going now.
    Sometimes the Universe throws you a curve ball in the right direction. :)

And think of what a great example you're being to all those young'uns, besides, of someone being active at any age . . . physically and intellectually! Go, you!

(Signed, a 60-year-old widow who likes to surprise the kids in group fitness classes.)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I love this thread!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love this thread!

Me, too!
  • PennWalker
    Options
    sandrachis wrote: »
    I think this is a wonderful story! It is hard to believe that other people have their own concerns and aren't focused on me, me, me. I returned to school as an older student and had the time of my life. Good for you!

Yep, that's it exactly. Also hard to believe what a negative imagination I have!
  • PennWalker
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Grumble grumble grumble.
    Grumble grumble grumble.
    Grumble grumble.
    I looked up and saw the back of the instructor, an athletic woman with short hair. I thought I would go up to her and explain how I am older and blah blah. She turned around and she is one of my neighbors, HA HA HA. I have been talking to her for years. I always pass her and her partner jogging or biking or walking their dogs. They're big dog people and so am I. She's also one of the nicest, naturally sunny people I have ever met. We were laughing tonight how it's so cool that I am taking her class.
    HA HA HA.

And think of what a great example you're being to all those young'uns, besides, of someone being active at any age . . . physically and intellectually! Go, you!

(Signed, a 60-year-old widow who likes to surprise the kids in group fitness classes.)

Good for you. I intend to take classes until they cart me away feet first.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I love that your neighbor is your instructor. don't wanna say "easy A" but...am thinking you'll get a good grade. :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Grumble grumble grumble.
    Grumble grumble grumble.
    Grumble grumble.
    HA HA HA.

I went back to university in my early 40s to get my Bachelor of Education, and of course, as part of that, I had to take 2 gym classes to learn the activities we might do with the kids and to learn how to teach them.

I hated gym classes when I was a kid, and was dreading them ... but I actually ended up really enjoying these gym classes. My instructor was great! And I discovered that in my early 40s I had a whole lot more coordination than I did in my teens.

So yes, you just never know. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I love the outcome of this!

Related: My son was about to start kindergarten already reading and writing and doing basic math. I was worried he'd be bored out of his little mind. Got a letter from the teacher about a month before school started and it was someone I knew from a previous job! Seems she left that job, went back to school, got her teacher's license and was just starting her first year in teaching. Long story short, my son had an excellent kindergarten year and she kept him fully challenged. He went into first grade at a 4th grade reading level.

Have a great time this term!