lifters, whats your worst lift?

Replies

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    I haven't done any 1rm max in years. Since I hurt my shoulder 4 years ago I used a bowflex to work with the rehab and just recently moved back to freeweights where I am so much happier.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I don't know if I qualify as a "lifter" but can only squat less than half of what I can deadlift, and can only squat a few pounds more than I can bench and press overhead, so SQUAT is by far my worst, relatively speaking. It feels so awkward, every single time.

• MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    I'm going with the majority in this, my bench is my worst lift. On Monday I was able to hit 225 for a solid single though - not gad fir a 181lb girl haha

giphy%206_zpsmm6gsidl.gif

Me too!

Currently I can bench 225, squat 335 (maxed at 365 around 50lbs ago haha) and deadlift 410 (maxed at 425 again I was like 50lbs heavier as well).

I'm trying to post on Instagram more but I just started using it lol
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    I'm going with the majority in this, my bench is my worst lift. On Monday I was able to hit 225 for a solid single though - not gad fir a 181lb girl haha

Me too!

Currently I can bench 225, squat 335 (maxed at 365 around 50lbs ago haha) and deadlift 410 (maxed at 425 again I was like 50lbs heavier as well).

Oh lord with numbers like that....girl crush <3:) Seriously impressive.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    robininfl wrote: »
    I don't know if I qualify as a "lifter" but can only squat less than half of what I can deadlift, and can only squat a few pounds more than I can bench and press overhead, so SQUAT is by far my worst, relatively speaking. It feels so awkward, every single time.

@robininfl , you sound a lot like me.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    I feel like squats are always going to be my worst lift. My femurs are so long... I feel like it takes 20 minutes just to get all the way down to parallel. lol

Same.
    How tall are you? I'm 5'7 3/4. I have long arms long legs short torso.
    I hit below parallel but I see shorter men and women squat and they are deep and really killing it. I do a lot of mobility work but there is no modifying my femurs
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    35dollars wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    What qualifies as a "crappy" overhead press? I am just curious. It is by far my weakest lift of the big lifts, but what are the standards?

That's a really good question, and one I've been wondering as well - what would be a good/bad ratio of weight between some key lifts - say squat/bench/ohp/bent over row/deadlift or SLDL?

At the moment, none of my lifts are exactly stellar, but I think my OHP is really poor and my bench press isn't exactly great either. In terms of ratio of 10RM on those, I'm at about 70/50/25/45/50 kg (SLDL for the last one) and weigh 75K

I've heard that 100% of body weight is advanced and 75% isn't bad, but I have no idea whether those figures have any statistical support or credence among lifters. Without it being a competitive lift its hard to tell. I'd love someone else with more experience to chime in.

I'm very definitely not more experienced, but these standards seem reasonable:

strengthlevel.com/strength-standards
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    OHP. I can't seem to gain any strength. My squat went from 65lbs to 255lbs over the course of a couple years; my OHP went from 45 to 65 lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

Me too!

Same! I'm chasing a 300lb 1RM on my deads. Currently 280lbs. 275lbs on squat and 160lb on bench. I wanna be @MsSquatAlot!
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    @stealthq - thanks for that link, that's exactly what I needed.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member

Me too!

Same! I'm chasing a 300lb 1RM on my deads. Currently 280lbs. 275lbs on squat and 160lb on bench. I wanna be @MsSquatAlot!

Those numbers are nothing to sneeze at either. Strong as hell!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited September 2016
    stealthq wrote: »
    What qualifies as a "crappy" overhead press? I am just curious. It is by far my weakest lift of the big lifts, but what are the standards?

That's a really good question, and one I've been wondering as well - what would be a good/bad ratio of weight between some key lifts - say squat/bench/ohp/bent over row/deadlift or SLDL?

At the moment, none of my lifts are exactly stellar, but I think my OHP is really poor and my bench press isn't exactly great either. In terms of ratio of 10RM on those, I'm at about 70/50/25/45/50 kg (SLDL for the last one) and weigh 75K

I've heard that 100% of body weight is advanced and 75% isn't bad, but I have no idea whether those figures have any statistical support or credence among lifters. Without it being a competitive lift its hard to tell. I'd love someone else with more experience to chime in.

I'm very definitely not more experienced, but these standards seem reasonable:

strengthlevel.com/strength-standards

Edit: I see shoulder press now. That seems about right

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member

Sounds plausible. I am not sure I would ever 1rm on a shoulder press, but using a 1rm calculated puts my 145x5 at a 1rm of 167 with a body weight of 175. That kinda "matches" where most of my other lifts are in relation to intermediate/advanced.

Sounds a bit better than mine based on body weight. I'm currently 198 pounds (working to lose about 12 more pounds), and my OHP is stuck in the 180-185 range (it's been a while since I did a 1 rep max), but did 150x7 last night. I've been here for a year and it's frustrating as f.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

This seems right...
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I feel like squats are always going to be my worst lift. My femurs are so long... I feel like it takes 20 minutes just to get all the way down to parallel. lol

Same.
    How tall are you? I'm 5'7 3/4. I have long arms long legs short torso.
    I hit below parallel but I see shorter men and women squat and they are deep and really killing it. I do a lot of mobility work but there is no modifying my femurs

5'11. Extra long legs, longish torso, and T-rex arms. Lol
  • Bench. Lost some muscle in my right tricep after having a disc slip and crush a bunch of nerves, which does not help. I'm trying the whole benching 3x a week thing. We'll see if that helps.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member

Me too!

Oh wow! Had to double check that you are female. Insane strength. How much do you weigh?

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member

Me too!

Still very impressive. More than I can do!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Bench. I totally pscych myself out on it though...convinced always that I'm going to smash my face with the bar, even when I have a spot. It's definitely my weakest, and makes me feel inadequate when I'm at the gym - especially when I can load a bar hella heavy for everything else, then put my itty bitty little plates on for my bench and struggle!

bench press can be phsycologically intimidating because the bar is right over your face..

I find it helpful to take several deep breaths before starting, clear mind, grip bar hard as hell, and then go for it...

I would say my worst lift right now is Barbell OHP...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    right now just about everything...I'm recovering from a bulging disk and pinched nerve in my neck so pretty much just doing rehabby *kitten*.

that sucks bro ...get better quick...