1350 calories a day...how do you do it?

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to stick to a goal of 1350 calories a day...and I'm finding it impossible! I'm usually coming in around 1600, which is fine but I don't lose any weight with that.

Just curious, to the people who actually do this - how the heck do you do it? Are you hungry? How much preparation do you take for your meals? And what the heck do you eat?

My diary is open. And honest.

Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I just checked and it didn't look as if your diary was open.

Sometimes when people are very hungry in a deficit it's because they aren't getting sufficient protein and/or fiber. Are you hitting your goals for these?
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of veggies every day. But yes, sometimes I am hungry...You can look at my diary. I don't usually log on weekends-
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    By the way tried to look at your diary and couldn't. You might need to set it to publically viewable still.
  • sweetjend78
    sweetjend78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't look at my diary! I'm consistently around 1400-1500 calories lately. When I actually meal plan and pre-pack my lunches; I can consistently stay at 1200-1300 calories. For me the key is lots of fresh veggies!
    If you want to add me; I'm about to get serious about food tracking and staying at my needed calorie intake level.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't do that, never would do that. If I want to lose weight I increase my activity level while carefully monitoring my calorie intake, but during times I'm losing weight I'm eating probably 2400 calories a day on average (varies day to day from 1800-4000 depending on activity).

In general most people find fat and protein much more satisfying than carbs and protein is the highest satiation to calorie macro. So you want to have low calorie while feeling full? Eat lots of lean protein. That said don't just cut out carbs and fat entirely, you need a balance. Just saying if you are hungry all the time try eating more protein and less carbs.

Another thing to consider is that 1350 might be too hard for you to do because it is too aggressive of a diet and you don't need to be eating that little...so you might just consider the obvious and eat more food.

i concur. i just let my fat occur naturally in the proteins i eat for the most part, or some dairy like yogurt or cottege cheese. don't opt for the fat free varieties, but maybe the low fat forms of those.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm trying to stick to a goal of 1350 calories a day...and I'm finding it impossible!

Honestly, spending too much time on fitness websites and such made me think about eating and exercise too much. So being busy with work, family, or other things and not being around people and places that keep me focused on all this really helped.

But a HUGE part of my weight loss has been changing mental perceptions of what is too little and what is a lot food wise. I don't need a lot of calories to keep my body running and have energy, but I LOVE eating and the rituals of it. So I have had to change that in my mind and create better habits. Couple things, and maybe you can think about if they relate to you:

I have learned to appreciate the energy value of a plate of food instead of the visual presentation and portions.

I have really had to learn that I can't see proper eating as a value in relation to portion. That is, when I eat I trained my mind that I want to get the most food for my money. Growing up poorer, value is really ingrained. Then throw in not wasting food and eating everything on your plate...it's been tough.

Over time I have more and more moments of clarity and don't have those hungry moments and that feeling I am not getting enough calories.

All the best.

• museofsearch
    museofsearch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Snacks to feel full are popcorn and sometimes nuts and for a dessert would be melted dark chocolate on a oat biscuit and fruits. Water of course and coffee help too. Eating chicken or grilled beef with wholegrain bread or rice or boiled pasta with tomato sauce and green salad.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If it's feeling really difficult, it's possible that the calorie amount is too low for you to feel comfortable with. I'm guessing you're probably set to 1.5 or 2 lbs/wk..if you set it to 1 lb/wk, you're still losing AND you get more calories to eat. That's a win win in my book!
    I couldn't handle anything less than 1500 myself. I tried, and each time after about a week I'd get dizzy spells. I even attempted 1200 very briefly, and nope..not for me. Losing weight doesn't mean you have to suffer.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had to net 1260 Cals to lose the last 10 lbs. It required very accurate logging and choosing foods that maximized my nutrition and kept me full. (Lots of veggies, lean protein, nuts in moderation, berries, greek yogurt, etc). My macros were around 25% carbs, 35% protein, 40% fat.

I also played around with meal timing. I'm not hungry in the morning but like to eat at night. Small breakfast (170 Cals), medium lunch (350 Cals), medium dinner (400-500 Cals), morning and afternoon snack (50-100 Cals/each), and around 300 Cals for yogurt & berries at dessert. That dessert was an important treat for me mentally - I pre-logged it every morning so I would always have calories left for it at the end of the day.

Was I still hungry? Yeah, sometimes. I got through the hunger by drinking a lot of water, coffee, and tea. And reminding myself of my end goals.

I'm in maintenance now and it's much better! The extra several hundred calories really help.
  • meghanfarrelly1433
    Options
    I'm really only about a week in, but I've eaten a bagel with honey cinnamon cream cheese for breakfast, a yogurt with granola for lunch, and not sure for diner yet but I have over 1,000 to go! I stay full by drinking coffee(make it black) and lots of water.