1350 calories a day...how do you do it?

Options

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    When I'm actually being good.... (which doesn't seem to happen much lately - ha!) I can definitely do 1400 or so comfortably. I usually eat small meals for breakfast (200), lunch (400), a little more for dinner (500 or so), which leaves about 300cals for snacks, coffee. I try not to drink my calories (ideally). My downfall is always wine.... and the snacking that follows!
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I did a 1200 calorie diet for over 6 months, it was harder at first - but now it's so easy I tend to go under unless I eat an extra meal. I eat a protein shake for breakfast - small snack - salad for lunch - small snack - and eat a well proportioned dinner (veggies, meat, etc).

Also - don't drink caloric drinks - water and tea are your best friends!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Katch-McArdle uses lean body mass. Based on that my maintenance is 1550 sedentary and 2200 when very active (these stats seem about right for me, as I was maintaining at 2200 when actively tri training). Lightly active is 1775, but that's not going to mean just walking 5000 steps, I don't think--MFP's lightly active is different from the TDEE calculators that include exercise.

I've tested MFP's lightly active with my fitbit. If I go over 5000 steps in a day it starts adding calories to my net.

5000+ steps a day is what I get doing basically nothing working a desk job. I get the feeling almost everyone puts in sedentary even though chacnes are they aren't.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I netted 1200 for like 8 months. I was completely satisfied. I just decided if I wanted to eat more I'd have to do more to earn it. Have to be careful of the "runger" though. Add in vegetables (sneak them into anything you can--zucchini in your spaghetti sauce, cauliflower in your cream soups) make broth based soups full of vegetables to help bulk up a meal and keep you full on very few calories. Stop adding cheese to things where you won't notice it i.e. on a sandwich, I don't recommend avoiding dairy though and I would further suggest sticking with full fat dairy because the calorie differences are minimal and full fat keeps you fuller. If you snack try and make it include protein and fat together (this may be a purely "me" suggestion but I've noticed when I eat simple/refined carbs alone I become a bottomless pit.)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Tim, I agree. I'm 5'6" not that petite but very very lazy. Lifting certainly helps me maintain my lean mass but it doesn't do a lot to help with my TDEE since I'm on a pretty basic low volume strength program and rolling around in bed scrolling IG isn't a lot of cardio. I cut on 1350-1600 simply because I'm lazy. People get very upset when you don't do as they do, or follow the dogma. Test your body and log honestly, you'll know pretty fast what you can and cant get away with lol
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i eat about 1200 a day and I am usually pretty happy and full. I eat a lot of proteins. I count macros (grams of fat protein and carbs). Feel free to add me to get an idea of my day. Sometimes I am starving at 1200 calories and some days I cant eat it all!
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 1250-1400 a day. A typical day for me is:

single serving container of 2% cottage cheese & 1 cup of fruit
    Special K protein bar for a snack

Lunch = tossed salad. A BIG, romaine lettuce, baby spinach, a tomato, carrots, pepper, cucumber, dried cranberries (tbps) & apricots (2) with 5 oz. of lean protein...grilled chicken or a can of tuna fish, and 1 tbsp of Ken's fat free raspberry pecan dressing. Occasionally I'll make a wrap with lean cold cuts, lettuce tomato onion and mustard with baby carrots on the side.

I bring a sugar free jello and an 80 calorie greek yogurt for afternoon snacks

Dinner is a lean protein, a pile of steamed veggies, sometimes topped with parmesan cheese, and a sweet potato, cauliflower fried rice or acorn squash.

This leaves me enough calories in the evening to have a Skinny Cow ice cream cone
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't do that, never would do that. If I want to lose weight I increase my activity level while carefully monitoring my calorie intake, but during times I'm losing weight I'm eating probably 2400 calories a day on average (varies day to day from 1800-4000 depending on activity).

In general most people find fat and protein much more satisfying than carbs and protein is the highest satiation to calorie macro. So you want to have low calorie while feeling full? Eat lots of lean protein. That said don't just cut out carbs and fat entirely, you need a balance. Just saying if you are hungry all the time try eating more protein and less carbs.

Another thing to consider is that 1350 might be too hard for you to do because it is too aggressive of a diet and you don't need to be eating that little...so you might just consider the obvious and eat more food.

Aaron, are you the one that posted about losing weight by increasing activity instead of heavily restricting intake? If so, although you got some push back, your post was helpful to me. It really made me think about how much more if any I could increase my activity in order to eat more. :) I'm in maintenance now, but I would like to be able to eat a bit more. I love the foods that I eat, and I don't feel deprived. I really enjoyed your post.

OP- sorry to go on a tangent. Yes, when I was losing weight 1350 was not hard, but now there is no way I can go that low. It actually impacts my sleep. So even if I am not hungry I will make sure that I eat more than that. Good luck.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Test your body and log honestly, you'll know pretty fast what you can and cant get away with lol

Exactly.

I started years back with all kinds of calculations averaged to a TDEE. Then over time I have learned at what point I actually can lose weight or maintain during competitions and such. If people track as accurate as possible it makes it easy to adjust calories up or down a few hundred at a time to see how their body reacts.

Oddly, for the activity level I have my TDEE is around 3000 by calculations, but I am generally around 2200 most days and don't lose weight, though technically I should be. For me, I have weeks I play 12 hours of tennis and then some that I only get a few matches in so I just have to adjust as needed.

Anyway, I digress. :)

Cheers.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Honestly troubles me how many people on this site seem to be trying to eat 1200-1400 calories a day, that just seems ludicrously low to me. That is like a sandwich, a glass of milk, a salad and a bowl of cereal for your entire day. You look at people who claim to be full on that and they are just eating a ton of fibery plant matter to I guess make them feel full in the physical sense...but that can't be satisfying.

The biggest trouble here would be the sandwich AND cereal. A more protein and fat packed selection would be better. 1200-1400 works for some people and not for others. Some people are small. Some people are not. Seems like a lot of people forget that. We can't all lose weight eating 3500 calories a day.

That being said, I used the Scooby Calculator to determine my intake instead of MFP. It's more clear what it means when you're filling it out. That and choosing a reasonable loss rate.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Another short woman here. I'm 5'4" weigh 172. MFP recommends I eat 1260 calories per day.

Okay got to stop you there. MFP doesn't have a brain, it isn't a doctor...it isn't "recommending" anything. It is a calculator. You put in numbers, it spits a number back out. The number it spits out is based on what you put in and nothing else. It refuses to go below 1200, that is the only "thinking" it does.

I could also have MFP "tell me" to eat 1260 a day, but that doesn't make it good.

People tend to way underestimate their activity level and put in sedentary when actually they get at least 5000 steps every day from just walking to and from things and they also tend to put in they want to lose 2 pounds a week even though that is for the extremely obese. If you do that MFP will then "recommend" a diet that isn't particularly sustainable, enjoyable or good for your health. It isn't intelligent, its a calculator.

ETA: I just tried it. With my current real bodyweight and height and gender stats I told MFP I was sedentary and wanted to lose 2 pounds a week. It told me to eat 1200 calories a day which is INSANE. It isn't intelligent, you have to know what is reasonable to ask.

I would suggest taking a screen shot of that and send it to customer support so they know there is an issue since it shouldn't go below 1500 for men. I know that you know better than to eat that low but it makes me wonder how many men are eating 1200 because that's the goal they were given. It happened before when there was a glitch that was giving women well below 1200 to eat.

Here are the screen caps:

I swear the recommended I screen capped is based of those stats I also screen capped. MFP will just spit out a number, 1200 it won't go below but that is it. You have to be able to recognize when its being unreasonable...it isn't a doctor, you shouldn't just blindly follow whatever it tells you and MFP the website and company aren't resposible for that anymore than a calculator manufacturer is responsible if you do it yourself with a calculator.

goal_2.png

Goal.png

So unless you think it would be actually reasonable for me, a 6' tall man with 15 pounds to lose, to eat 1200 calories a day you have to at least admit that you can get an inappropriate diet from MFP if you set it to sedentary and 2lb loss per week.

Keep in mind I am losing 1 pound a week eating 2300 a day so this is a ridiculous suggestion.

MFP is just a calculator, you have to know what to type into it to get a reasonable answer...its a dumb tool, not a dietician advising you.

Now i have to go back and fix my goals so its not being nuts.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Look. Here is my issue.

When someone is saying they struggle to eat 1350 calories a day and on that thread there are a couple of posts:

One post says: Its possible that you don't have to eat that little, many people lose weight and don't eat that little...you are a younger woman you probably can lose weight at 1 pound a week and eat considerably more than that

Another post says: Drink lots of coffee, its an appetite suppresent

Am I wrong to think there is an issue with the community if the critisism is lobbed towards the person who suggests you don't have to eat that little to lose weight and nothing is said to the person who suggests literally substituting a nutritionless appetite suppressent for food?

The point is to be healthier right?

I'm not going to fight about this, I stand by my point that a 36 year old woman looking to lose some weight does not need to be eating 1350 calories a day to lose that weight and if she is struggling to do so then one solution is to not eat that little, eat more...perhaps add some activity in and be more comfortable while also being healthier. I also suggested lean protein over carb to help with issues with hunger. My apologies for making that suggestion, apparently it was offensive in some way to suggest people don't need to eat so little that they are uncomfortably hungry while dieting.

I agree, most people can eat more and lose at a reasonable weight. Sometimes, the issue is the perception of what's "reasonable." The other oft-used phrase that gets to me is "MFP only gave me 1200 calories a day." MFP provides a daily calorie allowance based on the information we enter. We gave ourselves that limit.

I'm just lucky I'm active. No yoga yesterday, but I did get in 20,000 steps. I'm set at sedentary knowing I get exercise most days, but knowing there are days when I go for 14-16 hours with barely a chance to walk tot he copier or the restroom. I eat 1500-1800 most days, which is plenty. But the "low movement" days take careful planning for me so i'm not distracted by hunger. At least I can usually see them coming. The days I can't, I eat the stash of food in my mini-fridge and desk and don't worry about it.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123 I don't disagree with you completely, I think far too many people try to under eat, slam a lot of cardio in and really mess their bodies up. I also think many people really underestimate what they eat unless they weigh everything.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    ElkeKNJ wrote: »
    About twenty years ago (when I was still skinny) I overheard a pharmacist telling an overweight woman that you cannot diet without being hungry. That always stuck with me, and now I am her. I use his words as a mantra sometimes, though they might be a bit outdated. So either try and cope, look for more satiating foods, or up the kcals to a more comfortable level. But I guess the warm fuzzy gut feeling after a copious meal is no longer an option.

Oh my, if I had to be hungry, I would have failed during the weight loss process. I just try to make sure my macros are in line (fats, proteins) and I volumize. I also drink lots of water. Hunger wouldn't work form me.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    The other oft-used phrase that gets to me is "MFP only gave me 1200 calories a day." MFP provides a daily calorie allowance based on the information we enter. We gave ourselves that limit.

EXACTLY. People need to stop acting like MFP told them to do things, they put that they were sedentary and wanted to lose at the fastest possible rate and MFP just spat back a number, if that was 1200 its because MFP refuses to go below 1200 so basically they were bottoming out.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Aaron_K123 I don't disagree with you completely, I think far too many people try to under eat, slam a lot of cardio in and really mess their bodies up. I also think many people really underestimate what they eat unless they weigh everything.

Yeah, I mean there certainly are a lot in the "I eat 1200 a day" that are actually eating 1800 a day because they aren't actively weighing their foods and are using cups or not measuring at all.

I made the point about lean mass being the important decider when it comes to BMR as well as probably what you can accomplish in burn through exercise so I agree with you there, I just don't think its an argument against that most people on a 1200-1300 calorie diet should really be eating more than that (assuming they are right about their intake).

From your profile pic you look like a big guy (in a good way). Larger frame, good amount of muscle. In comparison I am a pretty small guy, small framed, perhaps a bit undermuscled. I'm guessing your lean mass is much higher than mine so you probably require more calories even if we were of similar height and total mass. I do understand that.