1350 calories a day...how do you do it?

Options

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    ETA: I just tried it. With my current real bodyweight and height and gender stats I told MFP I was sedentary and wanted to lose 2 pounds a week. It told me to eat 1200 calories a day which is INSANE. It isn't intelligent, you have to know what is reasonable to ask.

That's not right. Something is wrong with the calculator. Go over to IIFYM.com and plug in your numbers in their calculator. Leave exercise at 0, sedimentary, with light intensity exercise and it'll give you around 1600 calories a day and that's with a 25% reckless deficit.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I never ate less than 1650 calories. And I make an effort to be more active so I can eat more.. and I eat at least 100g of protein a day (and try to reach 60g of fat and 25g of fiber).
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm just curious. What do people think when they think they are sedentary?

To me sedentary means basically bed-ridden. You are on the couch or in a chair 16 hours and you are in bed 8.

Lightly active is you have a desk job but you do occasionally get out of your chair and walk to go get something.

Moderatly active is you have a desk job, get out of your chair occassionaly but also intentionally go for long walks in the mornings and evenings.

Active is the above plus doing some intensive cardio or having a more active job.

I think people mark sedentary WAY to often. Sedentary should be an unusal set of circumstances, not the norm. Lightly active is probably what most people are. If you are in an office job where you walk down the hall to talk to Bob, then you walk to the printer, then walk to your office do some work then get up and walk to the lunch room then walk down the stairs to get a coffee you aren't sedentary.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ETA: I just tried it. With my current real bodyweight and height and gender stats I told MFP I was sedentary and wanted to lose 2 pounds a week. It told me to eat 1200 calories a day which is INSANE. It isn't intelligent, you have to know what is reasonable to ask.

That's not right. Something is wrong with the calculator. Go over to IIFYM.com and plug in your numbers in their calculator. Leave exercise at 0, sedimentary, with light intensity exercise and it'll give you around 1600 calories a day and that's with a 25% reckless deficit.

Nothing is wrong with the calculator, I am just intentionally misusing the calculator. I'm telling it I don't do any activity so it is setting my TDEE as slightly above my BMR (my BMR is 1750 so it probably sets my TDEE at 1950) and then I tell it I want to lose 2 pounds a week which is a 1000 calorie deficit per day so it thinks I should eat 950 calories a day because math but it refuses to go below 1200 so it says 1200.

Its not wrong...its just I would be foolish to try to diet that way. I only have 18 pounds to lose so I should at most be losing 1 pound a week and I should try to increase my activity level to get a healthier amount of food in. But I have to KNOW that...MFP isn't going to tell me that, MFP is just going to spit back whatever I put in.

The problem is (and please I mean no offense to them) many people don't seem to recognize that that is a very low amount to eat and so they put in that they are sedentary, they put in that they want to lose 2 pounds or 1.5 pounds a week and MFP tells them 1200 and they think "sounds good to me" and then proceed to try to do that. Its a mistake.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

To me sedentary means basically bed-ridden. You are on the couch or in a chair 16 hours and you are in bed 8.

Lightly active is you have a desk job but you do occasionally get out of your chair and walk to go get something.

Moderatly active is you have a desk job, get out of your chair occassionaly but also intentionally go for long walks in the mornings and evenings.

Active is the above plus doing some intensive cardio or having a more active job.

I think people mark sedentary WAY to often. Sedentary should be an unusual set of circumstances, not the norm. Lightly active is probably what most people are. If you are in an office job where you walk down the hall to talk to Bob, then you walk to the printer, then walk to your office do some work then get up and walk to the lunch room then walk down the stairs to get a coffee you aren't sedentary.

For me, sedimentary means desk job, which is what I have. I sit all day, occasionally get up to go speak to someone or fix something, go to lunch, but otherwise sit behind a PC all day. When I get home, I'll cook/grill and then finish my evening in my recliner and go to bed. To me, that's sedimentary if I don't include the 60-90 minutes of exercise I do first thing in the morning. Since I track exercise by allowing apps to post it to MFP for me for the extra calories, that's what I set myself at on any calculator I use. I've used IIFYM's calcs for the last 6-8 months and find them to be pretty accurate (for me).

To me anyway, Lightly would be a job where I stand around a lot not necessarily sit. Moderate would be a job where I not only stand but do a fair amount of walking. Active would be a physically demanding job. But those are just my opinions.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with the calculator, I am just intentionally misusing the calculator. I'm telling it I don't do any activity so it is setting my TDEE as slightly above my BMR (my BMR is 1750 so it probably sets my TDEE at 1950) and then I tell it I want to lose 2 pounds a week which is a 1000 calorie deficit per day so it thinks I should eat 950 calories a day because math but it refuses to go below 1200 so it says 1200.

Its not wrong...its just I would be foolish to try to diet that way. I only have 18 pounds to lose so I should at most be losing 1 pound a week and I should try to increase my activity level to get a healthier amount of food in. But I have to KNOW that...MFP isn't going to tell me that, MFP is just going to spit back whatever I put in.

I see. I have not used MFP's calc in a long time.
  • sweetbug0130
    sweetbug0130 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I stick to 1200 a day but I use intermittent fasting. I have a 4 hour feeding window so 1200 in 4 hours is very satisfying!
  • Aaron_K123
    edited August 2016
    Options

I think people mark sedentary WAY to often. Sedentary should be an unusual set of circumstances, not the norm. Lightly active is probably what most people are. If you are in an office job where you walk down the hall to talk to Bob, then you walk to the printer, then walk to your office do some work then get up and walk to the lunch room then walk down the stairs to get a coffee you aren't sedentary.

For me, sedimentary means desk job, which is what I have. I sit all day, occasionally get up to go speak to someone or fix something, go to lunch, but otherwise sit behind a PC all day. When I get home, I'll cook/grill and then finish my evening in my recliner and go to bed. To me, that's sedimentary if I don't include the 60-90 minutes of exercise I do first thing in the morning. Since I track exercise by allowing apps to post it to MFP for me for the extra calories, that's what I set myself at on any calculator I use. I've used IIFYM's calcs for the last 6-8 months and find them to be pretty accurate (for me).

To me anyway, Lightly would be a job where I stand around a lot not necessarily sit. Moderate would be a job where I not only stand but do a fair amount of walking. Active would be a physically demanding job. But those are just my opinions.

I have that job too. I have a desk job. If I do nothing but my desk job, take the bus home, and sit in front of the TV I STILL get 5000 steps which if you have an activity tracker MFP will set you to lightly active or you will start accruing extra calories if you set to sedentary.

I know people think MFP sedentary means desk job but I'm telling you it doesn't act like that. Since people are using MFP it doesn't matter what they think sedentary means it matters what MFP sets your TDEE to if you select sedentary and what it does is barely budge it off your BMR which is like what you would be if you were bedridden, not walking around on occassion with a desk job.

I encourage everyone who doubts me on this to try it themselves. Play with the MFP calculator, figure out what your BMR is and set yourself to sedentary and see that it considers your TDEE to be close to your BMR. Set to lightly active and see that it only bumps up from BMR not that much which is probably much more accurate for what most people consider to be sedentary.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    As a woman at 5'2 with a sedentary office job where I sit on my butt all day long, MFP gives me 1200 calories a day. I hit this target without being hungry. I eat LCHF as that keeps ME feeling full. I don't feel like I am on a diet.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I think people mark sedentary WAY to often. Sedentary should be an unusal set of circumstances, not the norm. Lightly active is probably what most people are. If you are in an office job where you walk down the hall to talk to Bob, then you walk to the printer, then walk to your office do some work then get up and walk to the lunch room then walk down the stairs to get a coffee you aren't sedentary.

Picking sedentary is insurance for me. I can't be sure I'm going to be active. Especially given the fact that I have 2 very brokendown knees that act up on a moment's notice.

I used to teach and was on my feet all day. That meant 6000 steps a day if I didn't add in a deliberate walk for exercise. I consider that lightly active. Although I was on my feet for hours and hours, I was only walking back and forth across a classroom - not covering miles. At that level of activity, I kept a stable weight of 140 for over 10 years.

I'm now doing a desk job, and I get 3000 steps a day, again, before adding in deliberate exercise. I get up, go to a filing cabinet, go to the printer, go to the restroom, etc. Pretty sure 3000 steps a day qualifies as sedentary. It's sedentary enough that I was putting on 10lbs a year since starting this job.

I'm 5'8", 180 lbs, and aim for 1500 calories a day (~ 280 below my TDEE). Not hungry on that except for some weird days when I can't get full no matter what I eat. I'm definitely not breaking any records for my rate of weight loss. My strategy is very small breakfast (bulletproof coffee), very large salad for lunch (a whole head of romaine + ~ 200g lean protein + some other veggies), and then meat + 2 veg for dinner.
    I don't generally eat back my exercise calories, so I can bank them for one big meal out a week.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Another short woman here. I'm 5'4" weigh 172. MFP recommends I eat 1260 calories per day.

Okay got to stop you there. MFP doesn't have a brain, it isn't a doctor...it isn't "recommending" anything. It is a calculator. You put in numbers, it spits a number back out. The number it spits out is based on what you put in and nothing else. It refuses to go below 1200, that is the only "thinking" it does.

I could also have MFP "tell me" to eat 1260 a day, but that doesn't make it good.

People tend to way underestimate their activity level and put in sedentary when actually they get at least 5000 steps every day from just walking to and from things and they also tend to put in they want to lose 2 pounds a week even though that is for the extremely obese. If you do that MFP will then "recommend" a diet that isn't particularly sustainable, enjoyable or good for your health. It isn't intelligent, its a calculator.

I would suggest taking a screen shot of that and send it to customer support so they know there is an issue since it shouldn't go below 1500 for men. I know that you know better than to eat that low but it makes me wonder how many men are eating 1200 because that's the goal they were given. It happened before when there was a glitch that was giving women well below 1200 to eat.

Here are the screen caps:

I swear the recommended I screen capped is based of those stats I also screen capped. MFP will just spit out a number, 1200 it won't go below but that is it. You have to be able to recognize when its being unreasonable...it isn't a doctor, you shouldn't just blindly follow whatever it tells you and MFP the website and company aren't resposible for that anymore than a calculator manufacturer is responsible if you do it yourself with a calculator.

goal_2.png

Goal.png

So unless you think it would be actually reasonable for me, a 6' tall man with 15 pounds to lose, to eat 1200 calories a day you have to at least admit that you can get an inappropriate diet from MFP if you set it to sedentary and 2lb loss per week.

Keep in mind I am losing 1 pound a week eating 2300 a day so this is a ridiculous suggestion.

MFP is just a calculator, you have to know what to type into it to get a reasonable answer...its a dumb tool, not a dietician advising you.

Now i have to go back and fix my goals so its not being nuts.

I never said 1200 was a reasonable goal for you or any other man. What I said was that there may be a glitch in the calculator that needs to be addressed to MFP so that they are aware of it and can fix it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I do 1300 with no problem. I keep everything simple. Simple proteins, simple veg. Baked salmon filets, deli meat, frozen pre-cut mixed veg, yogurt. Some frozen meals but not too much. If I want something high-calorie, I log it first and build the rest of the day around it with small meals and snacks so I don't get hangry. Once I have my meals logged, if there's room, I work in some sweets. If I wasn't ill I'd be walking for extra calories if needed. .
  • SunflowerSandra
    SunflowerSandra Posts: 70 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Honestly troubles me how many people on this site seem to be trying to eat 1200-1400 calories a day, that just seems ludicrously low to me. That is like a sandwich, a glass of milk, a salad and a bowl of cereal for your entire day. You look at people who claim to be full on that and they are just eating a ton of fibery plant matter to I guess make them feel full in the physical sense...but that can't be satisfying.

I think that the number of women that you find doing that might be because
    a) it might be harder to eat so low in calories
    b) the error margin for such a small allowance is also much smaller, so they might need more troubleshooting regarding their diet.

At 24, 171 cm (like 5'6" or 5'7" I believe?) and 66.5 kgs (around 146 lbs), I maintain around 2300 cals a day with exercise. I try to cycle calories throughout the week to account for dinners out/parties etc.

Having a much higher calorie allowance allows me enough food to fill full and have a larger deficit more easily, making reaching your goals easier, hence no need to post about your cals in the forum.

So they might not be the majority, they just post more often.

edit: not sure how or why but I quoted myself, didn't even know that was an option...
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Another short woman here. I'm 5'4" weigh 172. MFP recommends I eat 1260 calories per day.

Okay got to stop you there. MFP doesn't have a brain, it isn't a doctor...it isn't "recommending" anything. It is a calculator. You put in numbers, it spits a number back out. The number it spits out is based on what you put in and nothing else. It refuses to go below 1200, that is the only "thinking" it does.

I could also have MFP "tell me" to eat 1260 a day, but that doesn't make it good.

People tend to way underestimate their activity level and put in sedentary when actually they get at least 5000 steps every day from just walking to and from things and they also tend to put in they want to lose 2 pounds a week even though that is for the extremely obese. If you do that MFP will then "recommend" a diet that isn't particularly sustainable, enjoyable or good for your health. It isn't intelligent, its a calculator.

I would suggest taking a screen shot of that and send it to customer support so they know there is an issue since it shouldn't go below 1500 for men. I know that you know better than to eat that low but it makes me wonder how many men are eating 1200 because that's the goal they were given. It happened before when there was a glitch that was giving women well below 1200 to eat.

Here are the screen caps:

I swear the recommended I screen capped is based of those stats I also screen capped. MFP will just spit out a number, 1200 it won't go below but that is it. You have to be able to recognize when its being unreasonable...it isn't a doctor, you shouldn't just blindly follow whatever it tells you and MFP the website and company aren't resposible for that anymore than a calculator manufacturer is responsible if you do it yourself with a calculator.

goal_2.png

Goal.png

So unless you think it would be actually reasonable for me, a 6' tall man with 15 pounds to lose, to eat 1200 calories a day you have to at least admit that you can get an inappropriate diet from MFP if you set it to sedentary and 2lb loss per week.

Keep in mind I am losing 1 pound a week eating 2300 a day so this is a ridiculous suggestion.

MFP is just a calculator, you have to know what to type into it to get a reasonable answer...its a dumb tool, not a dietician advising you.

Now i have to go back and fix my goals so its not being nuts.

I never said 1200 was a reasonable goal for you or any other man. What I said was that there may be a glitch in the calculator that needs to be addressed to MFP so that they are aware of it and can fix it.

No, the math is correct. Its just not a reasonable goal.

If I am sedentary according to MFP I am just something like 10% above my BMR. My BMR is 1750 so it sets me to something like 1900 a day TDEE. I then tell it I want to lose 2 pounds a week which is a 1000 calorie deficit per day which would require I eat 900 calories a day. MFP won't go below 1200 so it instead tells me to eat 1200.

The calculator is correct, it is user error.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited August 2016
    Options

That's not how MFP defines "sedentary" though. To this website, "sedentary" is your definition of "lightly active." The very screen shot that you posted above includes the definition.

Doesn't matter how they define it, it matters what the calculator does when you put that term in and what the calculator does appears to be BMR + 10% which is not what 5000 steps a day (what I get with no activity and a desk job) is. BMR + 10% is extremely low activity, like obese so its difficult to move at all activity.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited August 2016
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

The problem is (and please I mean no offense to them) many people don't seem to recognize that that is a very low amount to eat and so they put in that they are sedentary, they put in that they want to lose 2 pounds or 1.5 pounds a week and MFP tells them 1200 and they think "sounds good to me" and then proceed to try to do that. Its a mistake.
    It's not foolish or a mistake to find a way to lose weight that you'll actually do.

I don't exercise. I'm not going to exercise. In order to lose weight, I need to eat less than someone who will exercise.

I have to do what works for me that I'm willing to do for the rest of my life. If I had to exercise, I wouldn't have lost weight and I'd certainly have no hope of keeping it off.

I never tried to lose 2 pounds per week. I found a calorie level that I could tolerate without hunger (1250-1350 per day using a food scale) and stayed at that. Even at 280 pounds, I lost barely over one pound per week.

You can't put your template over everyone else and try to make them fit. Many on MFP are actually, truly sedentary, just as many in general society are.

I am not saying nor have I ever said once in this thread that EVERYONE can do what I am saying. Or that NOONE can eat 1350 calories and be comfortable.

If you notice, however, the original poster is saying that they are uncomfortable eating only 1350 a day. My suggestion, to them, was it might not be necessary to eat that little because for many or even most people that isn't required...they can increase their activity slightly and still lose weight eating considerably more than that. Might not.

That is what I said, please do not misconstrue what I am saying to somehow be claiming everyone in the world should eat 2000 calories a day to lose weight, I did not say that.