Keto saved me!

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Example: I maintained 1700 cal a day for 6 months, lost maybe 1-2 lbs a month. Switched to Keto (LCHF) and I have dropped 40 lbs in the next 6 months. Amount of calories the same, macros changed dramatically.

Right......so you know with absolute certainty that you were eating 1700 calorie a day then because you weighed all your food and logged everything you ate? And, you are doing the same now?

I am glad that keto works for some people to the extent that it allows that necessary calorie deficit (like yours) to lose weight, but it's not some magic program to cause weight loss without a calorie deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    thepawn1 wrote: »
    I started purely CICO and then moved toward Keto in my weightloss (now at -150lbs and counting). My main hope in moving toward keto was to attempt to keep my body burning more fat then muscle mass as I lost weight.

How does your protein look and how is your training? Those are larger variables when it comes to muscle retention. But if you want to be a bit technical, carbs are more muscle sparring than dietary fat is.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Kevin Hall is at least attempting to do proper research which is more than can be said for a lot of the BS nutrition research that gets churned out. Whether his conclusions turn out to be right or wrong his studies are honest-to-goodness science. I have nothing but respect for his work.

Generally speaking, I think there are too much money involved in this field of research.
    A little shift on dietary recommendations, and you move billions of dollars... I will keep my skepticism on everyone.

This is probably why you are seeing more medical doctors, who aren't trained in nutrition, transitioning into the field.
  • gamemember732
    gamemember732 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey,amazing! Doing keto for 12months now, add me.

kcko!
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    jleg346 wrote: »
    It may not be magic, but it is very satisfying to be able to eat satiating foods and still lose weight. I have a newborn and have not been able to carve out time to exercise, add that to making really poor choices my third trimester when it came to my diet. This way of eating has allowed me to lose 8lbs in one week and not be hangry at all.

But, I ate satisying foods all the time while Iost weight and I eat them while maintaing. A lot of your 8 pounds was water loss from the decrease in carbs, doubtful a whole lot of it was fat that soon. ;)

But if jleg said she doesn't feel hangry, she is satisfied. You mentioned being able to eat satisfying foods. There is not one moment while I am on Whole 30 that I feel unsatisfied. I am certain there are some people who do. There are also people who feel unsatisfied eating smaller portions but being able to eat whatever they want. It really isn't for you to name how you wouldn't feel satisfied on keto, so no one should do it or it isn't worth it so someone.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    It may not be magic, but it is very satisfying to be able to eat satiating foods and still lose weight. I have a newborn and have not been able to carve out time to exercise, add that to making really poor choices my third trimester when it came to my diet. This way of eating has allowed me to lose 8lbs in one week and not be hangry at all.

But, I ate satisying foods all the time while Iost weight and I eat them while maintaing. A lot of your 8 pounds was water loss from the decrease in carbs, doubtful a whole lot of it was fat that soon. ;)

But if jleg said she doesn't feel hangry, she is satisfied. You mentioned being able to eat satisfying foods. There is not one moment while I am on Whole 30 that I feel unsatisfied. I am certain there are some people who do. There are also people who feel unsatisfied eating smaller portions but being able to eat whatever they want. It really isn't for you to name how you wouldn't feel satisfied on keto, so no one should do it or it isn't worth it so someone.

You're putting words in my mouth. My point is I eat satisfying food on non keto and feel full and satisfied as well. Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit no matter what kind of dietary plan you chosse, and following the plan that keeps you satisfied. In other words, there really is no magic to keto or any other diet type.
  • foxandflora
    Options

You're putting words in my mouth. My point is I eat satisfying food on non keto and feel full and satisfied as well. Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit no matter what kind of dietary plan you chosse, and following the plan that keeps you satisfied. In other words, there really is no magic to keto or any other diet type.

I apologize for putting words in your mouth. This entire thread is filled with people saying "BUT I'M NOT KETO" as if it matters, or worse "Keto is a CULT and a DIRTY LIE." (hyperbole mine, of course)

Here's the thing, I'm not keto. I don't care about eating keto. I've seen keto get results, and I agree with you that it roots itself in CICO. However, the piece people keep ignoring, in my opinion, is the fact that there is a psychology to losing weight. Seeing immediate results make people feel good and make people want to keep going. Having clear guidelines make cooking easy. Communities result in increased support which is excellent for continuing a habit. Yes, this can happen from CICO, but quite honestly, Weight Watchers gets money literally because they follow CICO and you get to pay to have people watch you weigh in each week. And yet, people pay... even though you could totally do that for free because people don't feel that they can do it alone. Or they have failed over and over and over again.

I've met fat vegans and there's that guy who only eats Big Macs and is a size 0 or whatever. Yes, CICO matters for the biology but CICO doesn't actually do much for the psychology of weight loss. Things like Weight Watchers, keto, paleo, etc. do tap into that psychology part.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've met fat vegans and there's that guy who only eats Big Macs and is a size 0 or whatever. Yes, CICO matters for the biology but CICO doesn't actually do much for the psychology of weight loss. Things like Weight Watchers, keto, paleo, etc. do tap into that psychology part.[/quote]

I disagree 100%. YOU and YOU alone are responsible for your mental awareness. I started on CICO and made my mind over..and dropped weight immediately. The other things you mentioned that "tap into that psychology part" is because people are generally lazy and looking for a magic pill. They "tap into it" to make $$$.

Look at researchers or Dr's pushing their books..or lending their names..they aren't doing it to help you. They're doing it..cause there's gold in them thar hills.

Oh..it's science..well..hell's bells..I'll follow it. Never felt better. Best thing ever. On and On.

The trouble with Keto and all the other "fad" diets is..many people on them swear it's the ONLY thing that works for them. Then proceed to dupe others into buying that song and dance.

WHY? Because people are easily duped. That's why weight loss is a $$$$$$$$$$$$$ business and people and companies make big bucks over it.

People should do some research of their OWN. This is the age of information, and ignorance is a choice. People don't want to research however, they simply want to ask someone else. Look at these message boards.

I want to try Keto..can anybody help me? Then a bunch of posts about it's awesome, it's science. it's great etc etc etc.

Will Low fat work? yada yada yada..same thing.

What is this CICO? same thing..

Why don't people look this stuff up? EDUCATE yourself. People should tap into their own head and make your mind over. That's where it starts. But ..But..that's hard. That means willpower and making a conscience effort.

How about somebody just tell me something that I can follow and lose weight. Magic Pill..Fad Diet..Science says..

BS.. People can tap into their own mental being...they choose not to do that.

You are right.."weight loss is a huge $$$$$$ industry..because they tap into the psychology of people.

People could save their money, do CICO , for the most part, and win. The rest is simply choice..nothing magical about Keto..or Low Fat..or Weight Watchers, or Plexus, or diet pills, or Nordic Track, or Gold's Gym.

Sorry for the rant, but I tapped into my own mind, made it over, used CICO, and it has done plenty for the psychology of weight loss..in my experience. I have clear guidelines..burn more calories than I take in..pretty simple guideline to follow.

People have the power to change their life..few realize that, and continue to look for the "magic" .

Weight Loss starts upstairs. Study it. Educate yourself. Make your mind over. Get to it.

I'm 58 years old..diabetic..I use CICO..don't watch my carbs all that close...I just count calories.

I have dropped almost 85 pounds since March 1st. I take no medication for diabetes. My BP is great. My cholesterol is great. I put myself on my own diet and exercise program.

I know it won't work for everyone. I know we all post (really..about our own preferences and what works for us..individually..as I am doing) My Dr said..he'd like me to come in and talk to the other patients of his..cuz they do nothing. They resign themselves to medication, or being told what to do. In reality, we all are in control (barring serious health issues) of our own course.

The majority choose to be led, rather than plot their own course. I fear I am rambling now..I hope my point is clear.

No disrespect to anyone individually. Collectively..most people could use a swift kick in the pants.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    "I want to try Keto..can anybody help me? Then a bunch of posts about it's awesome, it's science. it's great etc etc etc."

You have to admit this is pretty hilarious. No one who eats a ketogenic diet is allowed to leave these forums without being sure to get the CICO-fad-diet-nothing-magical-just-eat-at-a-deficit-don't-be-ignorant-lazy-stupid-I'm-telling-you-this-for-your-own-good-science spiel.

Not even in a success thread like this one.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    "I want to try Keto..can anybody help me? Then a bunch of posts about it's awesome, it's science. it's great etc etc etc."

You have to admit this is pretty hilarious. No one who eats a ketogenic diet is allowed to leave these forums without being sure to get the CICO-fad-diet-nothing-magical-just-eat-at-a-deficit-don't-be-ignorant-lazy-stupid-I'm-telling-you-this-for-your-own-good-science spiel.

Why Alabaster, that is quite a dramatic sweeping generalization. ;)

The point is that weight loss does not boil down to diet type, keto or non-keto, it comes down to a calorie deficit. How you get that deficit is 100% individual.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Kevin Hall is at least attempting to do proper research which is more than can be said for a lot of the BS nutrition research that gets churned out. Whether his conclusions turn out to be right or wrong his studies are honest-to-goodness science. I have nothing but respect for his work.

Generally speaking, I think there are too much money involved in this field of research.
    A little shift on dietary recommendations, and you move billions of dollars... I will keep my skepticism on everyone.

This is probably why you are seeing more medical doctors, who aren't trained in nutrition, transitioning into the field.

Perhaps, but if it is true that the average American GP may not be enough trained in nutrition, MDs do have the adequate background to specialize in human nutrition. Nutrition science should be oriented mainly on prevention and treatment of disease through diet. And this is an MD territory.
  • foxandflora
    edited October 2016
    Options

The point is that weight loss does not boil down to diet type, keto or non-keto, it comes down to a calorie deficit. How you get that deficit is 100% individual.

I agree with you completely! I also agree that individuals should be able to feel successful if they used keto or Weight Watchers or CICO or were never actually overweight and just always kinda sorta healthy-ish. I appreciate what you're saying, but there's also a big long rant about how people who use keto or other things are not "tapping into their own mind."

BiggDaddy- No one is taking away your accomplishments by eating keto, so you really need to stop taking away other people's accomplishments away because they followed a diet plan. My brother in law lost 100 pounds following keto. My grandfather used CICO with diabetes, like you, and is incredibly healthy now. Both are very happy. The diet industry is a huge money-making industry, yes. Last I checked, not too many folks need to pay for the resources online about keto or paleo or vegetarianism or veganism? There's VERY LITTLE valid research on nutrition. It contradicts itself constantly. This is all true. The food pyramid is a lie brought to you by corporations and lobbyists who paid the FDA. We know very little about food in a backed-up-by-multiple-researchers way. People are figuring out what works for them. This is all okay! And, seriously, there are plenty of people on MFP using Weight Watchers. Don't be rude and knock them. It diminishes real progress that ultimately is making that person healthier and is pushing that person into thinking about their wellness. As for the psychology part, your psychology to CHOOSE as an INDIVIDUAL to do CICO is great... but I actually think you agreed with me in saying that people go with community-based weight loss things because it helps them. It sounds like you just didn't need that and think no one else should need that, too.

EDIT: Reread my response and cut out a sentence about using MFP for community, using MFP does not meal you necessarily want the community aspect
  • psuLemon
    Options

I agree with you completely! I also agree that individuals should be able to feel successful if they used keto or Weight Watchers or CICO or were never actually overweight and just always kinda sorta healthy-ish. I appreciate what you're saying, but there's also a big long rant about how people who use keto or other things are not "tapping into their own mind."

BiggDaddy- No one is taking away your accomplishments by eating keto, so you really need to stop taking away other people's accomplishments away because they followed a diet plan. My brother in law lost 100 pounds following keto. My grandfather used CICO with diabetes, like you, and is incredibly healthy now. Both are very happy. The diet industry is a huge money-making industry, yes. Last I checked, not too many folks need to pay for the resources online about keto or paleo or vegetarianism or veganism? There's VERY LITTLE valid research on nutrition. It contradicts itself constantly. This is all true. The food pyramid is a lie brought to you by corporations and lobbyists who paid the FDA. We know very little about food in a backed-up-by-multiple-researchers way. People are figuring out what works for them. This is all okay! And, seriously, there are plenty of people on MFP using Weight Watchers. Don't be rude and knock them. It diminishes real progress that ultimately is making that person healthier and is pushing that person into thinking about their wellness. As for the psychology part, your psychology to CHOOSE as an INDIVIDUAL to do CICO is great... but I actually think you agreed with me in saying that people go with community-based weight loss things because it helps them. It sounds like you just didn't need that and think no one else should need that, too.

EDIT: Reread my response and cut out a sentence about using MFP for community, using MFP does not meal you necessarily want the community aspect

To point out, CICO isn't a diet. It's an energy balance equation. CO = Basal Metabolic Rate + non exercise activity thermogenesis + thermal effect of food + thermal effect of activity. All diets use CICO. Just like all metabolic ward studies measure EE. Unfortunately, it complicated to figure out what an actual EE is in real life because you need to be consistent, measure accuracy (statistically difficult) and have a feedback look to adjust for average real lift conditions.
  • foxandflora
    edited October 2016
    Options

To point out, CICO isn't a diet. It's an energy balance equation. CO = Basal Metabolic Rate + non exercise activity thermogenesis + thermal effect of food + thermal effect of activity. All diets use CICO. Just like all metabolic ward studies measure EE. Unfortunately, it complicated to figure out what an actual EE is in real life because you need to be consistent, measure accuracy (statistically difficult) and have a feedback look to adjust for average real lift conditions.

Right but people are using the term to mean "CICO + eatting whatever I want within my caloric defining limit" and that's how I'm using it, as well. Whether it's CICO + keto or CICO + Weight Watchers or CICO without an elimination diet attached.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Right but people are using the term to mean "CICO + eatting whatever I want within my caloric defining limit" and that's how I'm using it, as well. Whether it's CICO + keto or CICO + Weight Watchers or CICO without an elimination diet attached.

If that's how the term is being used, it's being used wrong.
  • foxandflora
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

If that's how the term is being used, it's being used wrong.

Deleting comment. I'm going to step away from this conversation because it has devolved so far from the original post! I keep coming back here which is nice but ultimately not why I'm using MFP. Oops!

Congrats to OP and the other keto folks for losing weight.
    Congrats to the folks that didn't use keto and lost weight.

:smile:
  • grillinginthenameof
    Options
    I'm outta here too. Thread took a nose dive
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

What about trying to speak English instead of using acronyms?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

What about trying to speak English instead of using acronyms?
    I'll disregard the snark and humor you:

CICO = Calories In, Calories Out. Intake vs. expenditure.

EE = Energy Expenditure (that would be the "CO" side of CICO).

HTH.
    (That's an acronym for "Hope That Helps")
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!