Gym at Work=Awkward situations

Options
My company recently renovated our building and added a full fitness facility. It's a really nice perk, but I'm already having a few issues. I'm generally a social person, EXCEPT when I'm working out. I really don't want to chit-chat or talk business with anyone while I'm going through my workout.

At a public gym, it's easy to ignore people or tell them to buzz off, but I'm finding it more difficult when it's my co-workers and, in some cases, my superiors. I wear headphones, which discourages some people from talking to me, but not all.

How do I politely tell people that I have to work with every day, including my boss, that I really just want to be left alone? It seems like it doesn't take much to hurt people's feelings these days.

I have resorted to coming in very early or staying very late so that I have the gym to myself. I am considering just going back to my old gym, but the one at work is so nice and new and FREE.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on whether your boss is talking work or just having a general chit chat while you're both working out?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Ughhh that's tough... I'd probably do what you're doing and keep going in early. Because I don't know how to handle those situations. Hopefully people will learn to treat it like a proper gym after it's been there for a while. When I go to mine, I chat in the change rooms, but rarely while working out. And my friends just want to change and get out, as do I so it works out. But those are also exercise classes, not a full gym.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would go to the old gym. Silence is priceless.

i'm inclined to say the same.

Usually my resting b@tch face and headphones and avoiding eye contact is enough to get people to leave me alone. But if it isn't working for you, you're still in that awkward boss-employee relationship even if it's outside of work.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing headphones, just ignore when they talk to you...if they keep talking, act like you notice, pull your headphones off and say "sorry, I couldn't hear you over my music" then immediately put them back on and get back to your workout. They'll realize that you're not there to chit chat when you jump back into your workout without continuing the convo. And if they can't take the hint, you still don't have to reciprocate. Just keep doing your thing. I don't care who it is...I'm at the gym to work on me, and it's MY TIME and I want to be left alone. I may come off as a beeyatch, but I guess I don't really care how I come off...
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would personally go back to my old gym if I could afford it. But then again, I used to use Planet Fitness so it would be a much easier call at $15 a month 24/7 access than if it was really expensive and/or limited hours.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I would probably say something along the lines of "I feel bad that I can't give you my full attention since I'm focusing so hard on improving speed/strength, etc. I'd love to talk more about *fill in blank*, let's catch up more once when we get back to the office!". That way you're still being friendly, but setting a precedent that you need to focus on fitness at that time. After 1-2x they'll get it and leave you be.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on whether your boss is talking work or just having a general chit chat while you're both working out?

Usually work-related, which is the biggest problem. He'll just walk over and start asking me for an update on a project I'm working on. I have used the "I'll stop by your office to chat about it in a bit." Makes me feel uncomfortable to do that though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Usually work-related, which is the biggest problem. He'll just walk over and start asking me for an update on a project I'm working on. I have used the "I'll stop by your office to chat about it in a bit." Makes me feel uncomfortable to do that though.

i would bring it up in work, maybe suggest a 10 minute catch up at the end of each day/week to update him, so that he doesn't have to think about work while he's at the gym!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Go to another gym. If the people won't let you work out in peace and disconnect from the workplace it's not worth it.

Also if you can do it without getting yourself in a bad place, I'd tell HR or whoever runs the gym that situations like this are going to turn alot of people off.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    If you're salaried and on work premises, kind of a hard situation. Hourly and off the clock, not really fair play on the boss' end. I wouldn't go to HR, as that's just asking for awkwardness to extend outside of the gym. Either keep doing what you're doing, get a new gym, or get good at answering questions mid set.

I would personally do the last option - keep talking and then stop mid convo to do a set. Either they deal with it and keep talking or get bored of the extended time the conversation now takes. Be sure to shorten your rest periods for maximum disruption.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    If you're salaried and on work premises, kind of a hard situation. Hourly and off the clock, not really fair play on the boss' end. I wouldn't go to HR, as that's just asking for awkwardness to extend outside of the gym. Either keep doing what you're doing, get a new gym, or get good at answering questions mid set.

I would personally do the last option - keep talking and then stop mid convo to do a set. Either they deal with it and keep talking or get bored of the extended time the conversation now takes. Be sure to shorten your rest periods for maximum disruption.

I like this idea, thanks. People might get tired of following me around the gym as I answer their questions.

I'm going to stick with it for a little while and see if the crowd thins out a bit. Right now, it's a new, shiny toy for everyone. If it doesn't improve, I think I will bite the bullet and go back to my old gym.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Go to another gym or do what you have been doing & work out when you have the gym to yourself. Do not tell your boss that you prefer not to discuss work at that moment.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would buy noise cancelling head phones- you literally won't hear people when they start trying to talk to you, THEN, when they poke you or something be like "oooh I'm so sorry! I wear noise cancelling head phones because I really appreciate silence and getting in my zone when I'm working out" - then they will recognize its not pointed directly at THEM and you not wanting to interact with THEM.

My roommate wears noise cancelling phones around the house and I don't take it personally because I know when shes wearing them she needs to be in her zone. She also does it at work and the gym. They are really big so its fairly obvious to anyone walking by
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would use the headphones to help them understand. If they are talking directly to you, take out one ear bud but hold it close to your ear as if you are ready to put if back - if they would just hurry up and stop talking. It's all about the body language. LOL
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'd stay at the gym.
    I'd politely say to boss-I do a better update after I check the file. What's a good time to stop by your office with that info?
    Or a sorry my mind isn't on that right now. When's a good time for an update?
    Your boss will get the message.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're working too hard to be able to talk. Like while lifting or doing cardio.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're working too hard to be able to talk. Like while lifting or doing cardio.

what? no.