• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    YHxNWdt.jpg

And large, DJ-style headphones, not earbuds. :+1:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I can't believe all the "go to another gym" suggestions. The moment talking of any kind got a bit too long (especially work related) politely tell them you need to focus on lifting and any work discussion can be done back in the office.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Being very blunt there's an old adage you never eat where you work. Unfortunately because of Technology our personal lives are getting more intermingled with our work lives and there's no real separation.

I know when I go to the gym its 95% mental and 5% physical as far as getting my workout accomplished. I need a certain mindset when I go and I don't want to be distracted . My suggestion is go to the old gym and not the work one. Too many distractions at work and the work gym is work.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's a freeee gym! Just go in there and do your thing. They will get the hint.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If people really can't figure out that you're there to work out, particularly your boss, then I'd go back to your old gym. Free that you can't really use isn't worth it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I can't believe all the "go to another gym" suggestions. The moment talking of any kind got a bit too long (especially work related) politely tell them you need to focus on lifting and any work discussion can be done back in the office.

There are a lot of tools out there in the workplace that might hold it against someone if they weren't willing to engage in a work related conversation.

Depends on the individual work climate, but free doesn't necessarily mean good.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    That's downright rude to interrupt your exercise! That is right up there with someone stopping in my cubicle to say "are you at lunch?" while it's obvious that my mouth is full and there is food in front of me. I would continue where you are and if you're being bothered tell them you need to finish your workout then you'd be glad to talk. The company won't crumble if they have to wait 30 mins for an update! We always say "they aren't going to name a building after you!" (I work at a university) Or like you're doing, go early or stay after work to avoid them.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    How about a pre-emptive stop at the boss's office to talk about the project or whatever else s/he would typically ask you about. Maybe even do it a few minutes earlier, so it's working time.

Although, I get you. I hate working out with someone who wants to chit-chat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    My company recently renovated our building and added a full fitness facility. It's a really nice perk, but I'm already having a few issues. I'm generally a social person, EXCEPT when I'm working out. I really don't want to chit-chat or talk business with anyone while I'm going through my workout.

At a public gym, it's easy to ignore people or tell them to buzz off, but I'm finding it more difficult when it's my co-workers and, in some cases, my superiors. I wear headphones, which discourages some people from talking to me, but not all.

How do I politely tell people that I have to work with every day, including my boss, that I really just want to be left alone? It seems like it doesn't take much to hurt people's feelings these days.

I have resorted to coming in very early or staying very late so that I have the gym to myself. I am considering just going back to my old gym, but the one at work is so nice and new and FREE.

We also have a gym at the building where I work, but in our little law office it's only me and the boss. He does not work out at that gym, but there are others from different businesses who work out there and are generally polite about leaving others alone. The only uncomfortable part is that the machines all face a dark glass wall, but with the lights on anybody can see inside. This makes me uncomfortable while running on the treadmill in my shorts and skimpy shirt, and it also makes others feel the same when working out, so we turn off the lights.

I love my regular gym, though, but I have several buddies that I like to say hi to and joke around with, but mostly I am there to work out.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »

There are a lot of tools out there in the workplace that might hold it against someone if they weren't willing to engage in a work related conversation.

Depends on the individual work climate, but free doesn't necessarily mean good.

I would not want to work in an environment like that. There have been many times I've told the boss I was at lunch but would be happy to get back to him afterward. I have been working with this guy for 12 years.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to stick it out a bit longer and try to be more assertive.

I didn't even bring up the shower/changing room situation..."Hey Katie from Marketing, do you mind if we discuss your sponsorship presentation another time...like when I'm not naked?" But, that's for another thread :)

I feel for you! LOL.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    i don't think it's confrontational to talk to hr about it. it doesn't have to be made about this one specific person. just globally, it's a new 'boundaries' scenario that their current policies probably haven't covered and that they probably haven't thought about yet. so nothing wrong with bringing it to their attention. your boss (hopefully) wouldn't follow brad or travis into a bathroom stall and ask how the project's coming along . . . he might not have realised that a gym is physical enough to pretty much be a candidate for the same rule: leave everybody alone.

i've always been curious about this, as i don't think i'd want to lift around colleagues of mine anyway. it's none of their business how good or bad my form is or how heavy i bench :p i'd rather they just didn't know.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    "I am working out, not working."

Yes, I'm blunt.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Do you have an employee council or consultative group? This sounds like a perfect topic for them to consult on getting some guidelines in place to ensure the best use and accessibility of the gym for all. After all, the business spent money on it expecting some return in morale, employee well-being etc. If it just turns into a workplace extension their cash will have been wasted. The ECG can raise this without it being a personal
    Issue.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just say " I'll get back to you after my workout. You'll be in your office?" Or something along those lines. It's better to speak up and make it obvious you don't want to talk.