General Q and A thread

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    No clue how long you are actually glued to your computer or not.

What's your opinion on slow & steady versus faster weight loss where you can see the progress and with continued progress you're more likely to stay motivated?

This is a great question and it's something I've considered writing about in a blog post but I haven't done so yet.

The truth is I don't know the correct answer for each individual.

From a coaching standpoint, I quite literally lay out the pros and cons and I talk to the client about their preferences.

I make recommendations based on that conversation and I closely monitor the client to determine whether or not that is the right approach.

As far as some generalizations go, faster weight loss can be problematic if it results in diet adherence issues. Gym performance and muscle maintenance can be concerns but I find that it's usually adherence or intense food focus/mood issues does that become telling signs.

The major benefits of rapid weight loss are the positive feedback that further motivates the individual, and if it goes well, a shorter duration diet.

The major benefit to slow her weight loss is that you generally get to eat more calories. Typically that results in a diet that might be easier to stick to.

But not all people can maintain the necessary motivation if they don't perceive positive results occurring for their efforts. I've definitely made the mistake in the past of not making adjustments fast enough or not creating a large enough deficit and so the client gets frustrated because they feel like they are spinning wheels.

Finally, there is one circumstance in which I generally favor rapid weight loss and that would be a situation where someone is not lean and we are taking a habit-based approach and the habit is one that results in rapid weight loss.

One example would be a client who consumes several regular sodas per day and switching them to diet soda. If you have someone who consume six bottles of Mountain Dew per day and you remove that from their diet and get them to go on a couple of walks instead of remaining sedentary, you might have a situation where the perceived effort is low but weight flies off fast.

That sort of scenario will be perceived much differently than someone who is tracking calories and on a very low intake.

That's not the only scenario where rapid weight loss is appropriate, it's just one example of a context where I would certainly favor it.

I'm not sure if this answers your question because the truth is I don't necessarily have the right answer for everyone.

I do think it's a very good question to ask and it's one that I always keep in mind with new clients.

Yeah, I assumed it was going to be pretty personal. I'm finding it very difficult to adhere and log accurately unless I'm in a steeper deficit. I don't think I'm eating that drastic of a deficit, but I'm also moving a LOT. I usually average around 17,000 steps a day. But, I eat on average about 2000 calories a day (I eat some very high days and balance with some lower days). It winds up being a hefty deficit, but I'm getting a lot of nutrition in. And I'm more likely to stick with it if the scale actually moves.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

This one unfortunately it's outside of my knowledge base, except for the sex part in which I'm obviously a master (bater).

Youre my new hero...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I started lifting months ago, and increased my protein intake, but not enough. After a couple months I did some research and realized I wasn't getting enough protein to build muscle, so I've further increased it to meet the recommendations. I started seeing progress not long afterward.

I understand there's a "newby gains" period that typically lasts about six months, where you can build muscle much faster than normal. I realize that's not exact. But should I consider the clock to have started when I began lifting, or when I began eating enough protein?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I started lifting months ago, and increased my protein intake, but not enough. After a couple months I did some research and realized I wasn't getting enough protein to build muscle, so I've further increased it to meet the recommendations. I started seeing progress not long afterward.

I understand there's a "newby gains" period that typically lasts about six months, where you can build muscle much faster than normal. I realize that's not exact. But should I consider the clock to have started when I began lifting, or when I began eating enough protein?

There's no clock, they stop when they stop. More to do with your body's natural potential to easily progress to such a point where simple overload is no longer enough to cause adaptation/growth.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I got bursitis (or something) in my right hip two years ago while running. I've been through several doctors and several rounds of PT. It gets better for a while, then it comes back. 2 weeks ago, it was feeling good, I was able to go running without any pain, I thought I might be better. Then the husband came back from a work trip and we got it on, and suddenly my hip's in a ton of pain again. Something about how I spread/rotate my leg open during sex is aggravating the injury. My PT discharged me a month ago and I don't want to go back and spend more money unless I have to, so I'll ask on here:

-Are there specific exercises I can do to strengthen my hip through that rotation? I'm already doing clams and leg raises with a band, but is there something else I can add that might be more effective?
    -All of this has left me with a sloppy hip that over-rotates and doesn't support its share of the weight during squats, so I've stopped squatting. How do I build back into having good squat form?

Not SideSteel, obviously, but I have problems with my right hip socket, too. Mine I've had since I was a kid. It seems like mild hip dysplasia, where if I rotate that hip in a certain way (like when mounting a horse, which is when I first discovered I had a problem) it comes a bit out of socket. It locks up, and is incredibly painful until I completely reverse the rotation and feel it seat itself again.

Point being, I have found that weighted hip abductions help me. I use the weight machine, and start with the heaviest weight where I don't feel any pain for the full range of motion. That's pretty light, so I'll do 3 sets of 15-20 slow to moderate reps. Every time I do the exercise and can complete all 3 sets of 20, the next time I workout I add the smallest amount of weight available. Eventually I get heavy enough that at the end of the concentric motion, the muscles around my right hip socket cramp like crazy but there's still no pain in the socket. I'll stay at that weight until I don't cramp anymore. Usually 2-3 workouts. Then back to increasing weight again.

Something you might try.

Thank you! That sounds like it could help a lot.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Curious - When I lift say 1x my bodyweight in the barbell squat I can hit my 5x5 and feel great, yet when I do say 100 bodyweight squats in a bootcamp class it becomes difficult/painful. I would have thought the bodyweight squats would be a cake-walk after doing nearly the same motion loaded down? Do these activities train different muscle fibers? Are there different benefits from doing these types of training, even though both are essentially the same motion?

And thanks in advance for your kind attention to my question!
    -s

A good way to think about this is through the specificity principle.

Doing heavy squats will prepare you to do heavy squats

In terms of the fatigue and even pain that you experience doing very high repetition bodyweight squats, that's likely from metabolic stress which occurs to a much greater degree with high volume training.

As far as whether or not there are benefits to both, I would again think of specificity.

I would imagine that doing sets of 100 bodyweight squats would improve your ability to buffer fatigue, it would probably have greater cardiovascular benefits compared to barbell squatting 5 x 5 and so basically it might improve your endurance. The effects that it may have on your one rep max strength in barbell squatting are probably minimal.

Thank you so much!
    -s
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

There's no clock, they stop when they stop. More to do with your body's natural potential to easily progress to such a point where simple overload is no longer enough to cause adaptation/growth.

Thanks Laz. Sounds like I won't know until a few weeks after it's happened. That's when I'd like to start losing weight again.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks again for the squat help. Good to see you're still here.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks again for the squat help. Good to see you're still here.

Yeah Buddy!

I was just thinking about you today as I finally put your name in my contact list on my cell phone. I didn't recognize the number in my texts until I saw the convo about me sweating my *kitten* off. LOL.

How's the squat coming along?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I totally get that some people might be like "who the F are you and why do I care what you think?"

And I get it! I've seen threads like this totally backfire when someone new comes along and does this.

So with that said, go ahead and troll me if you'd like.

Or, feel free to drop any questions here and I'll take a crack at them since I'll be glued to my computer for a while.

newthread-cat-bite.gif

So I was going to save this for the September thread, but I figured why not ask it now. If you have a limitation of equipment, what is your thought about increasing time under tension as a means to increase progress (i.e., 3 controlled seconds down, 3 seconds up for a deadlift). This is with the full understand that it would be more ideal to get more equipment.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Yeah Buddy!

I was just thinking about you today as I finally put your name in my contact list on my cell phone. I didn't recognize the number in my texts until I saw the convo about me sweating my *kitten* off. LOL.

How's the squat coming along?

Florida is fun in the summer lol

The retrain is slow but happening. At least I'm finally consistently and comfortably hitting depth.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    So I totally get that some people might be like "who the F are you and why do I care what you think?"

And I get it! I've seen threads like this totally backfire when someone new comes along and does this.

So with that said, go ahead and troll me if you'd like.

Or, feel free to drop any questions here and I'll take a crack at them since I'll be glued to my computer for a while.

newthread-cat-bite.gif

So I was going to save this for the September thread, but I figured why not ask it now. If you have a limitation of equipment, what is your thought about increasing time under tension as a means to increase progress (i.e., 3 controlled seconds down, 3 seconds up for a deadlift). This is with the full understand that it would be more ideal to get more equipment.

Coincidentally I also made the September thread yesterday, lol

Depends on the goal and the equipment limitation.

As a generalization though I think "getting creative" to create a progressive stimulus when you don't have optimal means via equipment, is a great idea.

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    What certifications do u have and what do you recommend for somebody looking to start? I would not be looking to specialize in PT but more general physique improvement
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    What certifications do u have and what do you recommend for somebody looking to start? I would not be looking to specialize in PT but more general physique improvement

I certified with NASM for two years and I let it lapse (I didn't recertify or register CEUs). I recently completed the Shredded by Science course (SBS Academy) but they are not yet accredited. They are looking into getting accredited, however.

If you are looking to become employed in a gym in the US then I would recommend NSCA or NASM. If you are looking to learn without necessarily looking start a career training others in a gym, I would go with the SBS course as I found it far more current and applicable. If you did go that route I would supplement with some basic anatomy so you can learn muscle origins and insertions, and basic functions, which is covered in the NASM course.

I did think NASM was decent overall but I had some issues with enough of their methodology that it's just not for me.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Whats the min time frame to see results for a female client begining strength training, while eating at a deficit? Carries most of her fat in her belly.

6 months, a year 2 years?
    Or is it all in your genetics?

Yes, this question. Please. Please.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Whats the min time frame to see results for a female client begining strength training, while eating at a deficit? Carries most of her fat in her belly.

Sorry, I missed this one!

This is tough to answer because it depends on a ton of factors such as how well you can adhere to the diet and how much fat you have to lose.

And then it also depends hugely on how the individual defines and perceives results.

For example I've had clients who strictly define progress as the number on the scale. Which generally isn't a good outlook.

But having said all that I would tend to think you should perceive results every 3-4 weeks at least.

Again though, really hard to nail down an answer without many specifics.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    No specific question for you, Side Steel, but just wanted to say that I have learned an amazing amount from reading your posts on here on MFP.

Thank you for continuing to share your wealth of knowledge. It's appreciated more than you'll ever know. <3

Thank you!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am 50 80ish Lbs overweight and have a bad knee and lower back issues probably due to a weak core (has hurt since childbirth of my son 30 years ago).

I just started walking 2 months ago and am walking 2 miles 4 times a week.

I would love to start lifting however I have no clue what to do as there are so many youtube's. I live too far away from a gym so it would need to be home equipment. Where do I start?

ETA - 1250 daily average calories (zig zagging).
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Sorry, I missed this one!

This is tough to answer because it depends on a ton of factors such as how well you can adhere to the diet and how much fat you have to lose.

And then it also depends hugely on how the individual defines and perceives results.

For example I've had clients who strictly define progress as the number on the scale. Which generally isn't a good outlook.

But having said all that I would tend to think you should perceive results every 3-4 weeks at least.

Again though, really hard to nail down an answer without many specifics.

Thank you Steel,
    I'm new to lifting. I just started in April. Before that I did a year of body weight HIIT and saw great results and then stalled. I'm still 10 lbs over what I want to weigh. Thing is, it's all in my stomach and hips. Otherwise. I'd stay at the weight I am and continue to lift. I think I won't see my hard work until I get rid of more fat??
    I also know I could improve on my protein intake.
    I'm 55, 5'9" and currently 150ish with a goal of 140, or whatever weight I no longer have a muffin top in jeans.