Why do people say if you go low carb to lose weight, you must eat that way forever?

Options
I know about the water weight loss coming back, but how does the fat come back if you're in a deficit or maintaining?

I keep hearing you need to maintain that way of eating or gain it all back.

Is low carb forever or not?

Replies

• ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well, if you can maintain once you add the carbs back in, I guess you don't HAVE to eat low carb forever. The issue is that most people add the carbs back in, don't stay in maintenance and gain all the weight back.

Ok thats clear, I'm just always confused when I hear people say low carb has to be a long term way of eating,to be sustainable with weight loss.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I say reduced carb. I know if go out to eat and they bring bread to the table or eat bread at home it is more carbs than I need but I can eat a sandwich for lunch. Same goes for potatoes & fries. If I have them a couple of meals a day Boom! I avoid potatoes and fries but may splurge and have some chips on the weekend. I do miss my loaded baked potato with a steak but baked veggies have kind of grown on me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    As with any diet, if you return to your original way of eating once you've lost the weight, you'll fail, because that's what got you in trouble in the first place. Low carb, low calorie; doesn't matter. You need to develop a new way of eating, and that's for the rest of your life.

I think that is it right there. Most diets that are successful in the long term seems to be a continuation of what that person was doing to lose. If one starts to move away from that, they sometimes move away from success.

Another factor may be that for many low carbers, carb heavy foods are trigger foods, especially refined carbs like sugar and sweeteners, and flours. Some people assume adding back carbs is adding in baked goods, noodles or cereal, whereas many will increase their veggie and fruit consumption if they want to increase carbs.

A good question to ask is, why would you want to leave low carb if it was successful for you? Especially if no other eating plan has been successful in the long term in the past for you. Most people are not suddenly going to be able to modeate a SAD diet for maintenance because they lost weight on LCHF. KWIM?

I'm LCHF for life. It works for me. Higher carb does not. Plus I have insulin resistance which demands a low carb diet if I want to stay healthy. It means avoiding some foods but it seems like a fair trade off in my situation.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You really don't have to forever. People who say you have to do it forever are making an assumption that you see a "diet" or weight loss as a short-term process, which may not be correct. They might do better by suggesting that if you don't want to go low carb forever, you have an exit strategy for maintenance instead of going back to old habits.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You really don't have to forever. People who say you have to do it forever are making an assumption that you see a "diet" or weight loss as a short-term process, which may not be correct. They might do better by suggesting that if you don't want to go low carb forever, you have an exit strategy for maintenance instead of going back to old habits.

Ooh I love that exit strategy idea! Brilliant.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Ooh I love that exit strategy idea! Brilliant.

Thanks! I'd suggest straight calorie counting, but I'm biased. ;)
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For me personally, I know what foods trigger me to wanting more....potatoes, breads, pasta, desserts. I still allow them on occasion but they are not a "typical" item eaten daily. We each have to do what WE KNOW is right for ourself. What one person does isn't going to be right for me but maybe I take a combination of ideas and they do work.

In the past I did The Zone.... 10 months 90lbs... Ate it to the dot... Let myself enjoy some ice cream and bam!! It's sent me into a sugar frenzy because I hadn't allowed myself any of those things. Lesson I learned: limited intake of those things, so I can still enjoy life but don't make it a regular thing.

And I love the exit strategy idea! Knowing the way I eat right now is my lifetime pattern is my reality because sadly nothing magical happens when I reach my goal like "HEY HEY...I'm at my ideal weight now let's eat a whole pizza!" :wink:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about learning new eating habits while you lose weight. So if you use a way of eating that you're not planning on using forever... you're really not learning how to eat properly in a sustainable manner.

Some people who go low carb do it because they don't know how to moderate carbs - so it's not a crazy guess that they will still have the issue when they reintroduce them... and gain weight back.

Also keep in mind that when going low carb and reintroducing carbs, you're pretty much guaranteed to gain water weight back, so that has a lot to do with the 'OMG I'M GAINING WEIGHT BACK' factor.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I know about the water weight loss coming back, but how does the fat come back if you're in a deficit or maintaining?

I keep hearing you need to maintain that way of eating or gain it all back.

Is low carb forever or not?

because of raised and peaking insulin.