Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

U.S. FDA orders antibacterials removed from consumer soaps

Options
2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The issue and danger with overuse of antibiotics is bacterial resistance - while everyone knows this they still insist on using antibiotics. The issue now is that the resistant genes are already out there and being shared by bacteria, so stopping the use now is pointless.

Not pointless.

Selective pressure is required for a high rate of retention for most of those genes over multiple generations. Remove the selective pressure and the percentage of bacteria resistant to that pressure should drop.

Perhaps for the environmental microbial populations at large; however for the clinically significant pathogens - pointless.

If you mean eliminating the specific antibiotics in soap is basically meaningless for clinically significant pathogens, then I'd agree.

If you mean that eliminating any antibiotic is pointless to reduce populations of clinically significant pathogens once the resistance is out there, then I'd disagree. Populations of pathogens such as MTB have been followed when this or that antibiotic falls out of favor. When it does, over time the percentage of cases that are resistant to that particular antibiotic decrease.

We're on the same page here. I'm not one of the fact denying purists who demonizes all use of antibiotics. Antibiotics are a very necessary tool in treatment; however the overuse in everyday items - soap, animal feed, etc. has forced resistance for thousands of years potentially.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

Look at all the people that go into hospital but never make it out due to picking up deadly infections in there. Hospitals would have to be the number 1 user of antibacterials.

Incorrect. Hospitals don't train their staff on industrial cleanliness nor personal cleanliness (to the degree they need to). Most doctors only take 1 course the entire time they are in school about cleanliness. Plus doctors and staff don't always take the proper precautions for a variety of reasons, like they are busy or forget.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The issue and danger with overuse of antibiotics is bacterial resistance - while everyone knows this they still insist on using antibiotics. The issue now is that the resistant genes are already out there and being shared by bacteria, so stopping the use now is pointless.

Not pointless.

Selective pressure is required for a high rate of retention for most of those genes over multiple generations. Remove the selective pressure and the percentage of bacteria resistant to that pressure should drop.

Perhaps for the environmental microbial populations at large; however for the clinically significant pathogens - pointless.

If you mean eliminating the specific antibiotics in soap is basically meaningless for clinically significant pathogens, then I'd agree.

If you mean that eliminating any antibiotic is pointless to reduce populations of clinically significant pathogens once the resistance is out there, then I'd disagree. Populations of pathogens such as MTB have been followed when this or that antibiotic falls out of favor. When it does, over time the percentage of cases that are resistant to that particular antibiotic decrease.

We're on the same page here. I'm not one of the fact denying purists who demonizes all use of antibiotics. Antibiotics are a very necessary tool in treatment; however the overuse in everyday items - soap, animal feed, etc. has forced resistance for thousands of years potentially.

And let's not forget perfectly appropriate prescriptions where the patients don't complete the protocol. That's been a major contributor as well. No idea how to improve that one other than repeatedly emphasizing the importance of continuing to take the medicine even after the patient feels better/normal and praying that they'll actually listen.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Look at all the people that go into hospital but never make it out due to picking up deadly infections in there. Hospitals would have to be the number 1 user of antibacterials.

Incorrect. Hospitals don't train their staff on industrial cleanliness nor personal cleanliness (to the degree they need to). Most doctors only take 1 course the entire time they are in school about cleanliness. Plus doctors and staff don't always take the proper precautions for a variety of reasons, like they are busy or forget.

I dunno... My husband had a procedure done a couple weeks ago at our local hospital, and he had to sanitise his hands with a betadine wash before walking from one room to another, I'm surprised he had any skin left on his hands at the end of the day. His experience is what made me comment on this thread.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Around here we hear all the time "don't be afraid to ask your doctor to was their hands when they enter your room". I thought that was rediculous. What doc would not wash his/her hands?! Well, when I was in labour with my last child we arrived at the hospital(after a one hour ride that should have taken 1.5hrs. We were in a bit of a hurry given that I go from labour to delivery extremely fast) but my husband was desperate to stop at the public washrooms on our way up to delivery while I paced in the hall. In walked a name tagged doc behind him and was out in less than 30sec. I asked my husband if the gentleman before him had washed up. "Nope" was the reply. They can train all they want but some people choose to be idiots no matter what their education. My midwife was one of the good ones though!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Absolutely NOT pointless. The resistance genes have been out there for a long time. It is the selective pressure that is causing them to increase. If you relieve this pressure, the spread of these genes should go down.

They have actually found these resistance genes in caves in bacteria that supposedly have not been exposed to antibiotics. The overuse of antibiotics have helped put selective pressure on microbial populations to select for resistant strains. It is not too late to stop this trend.

Resistance genes have developed within one line of bacteria to compete against foreign colonies. These resistance genes can be shared locally to any living organism through transposable elements. Once you introduce a broad spectrum antibiotic on a global scale you introduce resistance genes on a global scale. For a very short time any isolated strains may live without these genes, but once they come in contact with another organism carrying the resistance gene these have a chance of becoming resistant. These resistance genes are here to stay for the next thousand years.

The antibiotics in hand sanitizes are so broad spectrum and mild that there is no effectivity, hence the ruling from regulatory authorities.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I definitely think they should be used in food work and health care. And responsibly by others (no need for extreme germaphobia and overuse).

I was severely injured by antibiotics and another med. That was why I said I avoid them unless absolutely necessary. This is directed by my Rheumatologist and all of my doctors. It's been over a year and I am still dealing with the health damage from the meds. I was wrongly prescribed. Meds do need to be prescribed correctly and responsibly. And some have way more risks than benefits (they are prescribed for cosmetic, not medical reasons, but worsen both). But, during this year my daughter got strep throat and she took antibiotics. Just wanted to explain and provide correct information to prevent false conclusions.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Maybe they'll get rid of fluoride next.