Fat and carbs and trend weight

Options
Two things:

I think this has been asked before, but when bulking it really doesn't matter if my fat intake exceeds my carbs, right? I'm set to 50% carbs, and 25% fat and protein, but my carbs always seem to lag behind a bit.

Second, I'm only three weeks in and the scale has jumped 6lbs. My trending weight thus far (I use the Happy Scale app) is up 2.3lbs. I was prepared for that big jump, but I'm assuming I seem to be on track so far? I still have a week left in the month and I'm already at 2lbs. Assuming I just keep carrying on as is?

Replies

• sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and purpose? Are you new to strength training or just new to trying to add muscle? Personally to add muscle and to stay lean I eat about 60% fats and 10% carbs all from veggies, nothing processed. That's year round forever. All it takes to add the muscle is time under tension. 8-12 rep range and even 5-6 sets. High volume I know, but it's how muscle fibers work. 6lbs in 3 weeks sounds kind of high unless you're new to lifting. A lot if that is water from all the carbs. Feel free to add/message if you want options. I helped my wife and many other women.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I went to check out your diary, I thought you meant grams of carbs vs. fat but you mean exceeding your goals? I actually adjusted my fat goal to be a little higher than recommended because I like to eat higher fat and find it not as filling (but mind you my carbs were also very high). As long as you are hitting your protein and fat goals and filling the rest with carbs you should be good. From what I have read carbs are pretty important during a bulk for muscle building as well as energy during lifting sessions. How are you feeling? If you start to feel a little low on energy I would up the carbs and drop the fat a touch, but again all experimentation and personal preference.

That jump is normal. Glycogen in the muscles, all that extra food. If after a few weeks your weight keeps jumping then maybe reevaluate but keep going !!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm not exceeding calorie-wise. Just skewed towards more of them coming from fats...

The gain is spooking me and it's making me want to pull back but I'm assuming that like you said...it's extra food/carb bloat/and having switched programs which always makes me retain water. Definitely cutting back if this keeps up.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's not uncommon to see large amounts of weight initially. Increases in glycogen capacity, larger amounts of waste in your GI system, increase in sodium, being a women there is still TOM issues and if you started lifting, then you have fluid stored in your muscles for repair. This is why its important to trust the process and monitor progress over an extended period of time (4 to 6 weeks). Otherwise, you will never hit your goal.

You have a good amount of carbs in your diet, so if you want more fat, there won't be an issue.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    It's not uncommon to see large amounts of weight initially. Increases in glycogen capacity, larger amounts of waste in your GI system, increase in sodium, being a women there is still TOM issues and if you started lifting, then you have fluid stored in your muscles for repair. This is why its important to trust the process and monitor progress over an extended period of time (4 to 6 weeks). Otherwise, you will never hit your goal.

I've seen you post this over and over, and that's why I'm trying not to get caught up in the huge leap, (which is down 2lbs this morning btw). I'm assuming if I just pay attention to what my trending weight is I should be ok. Based on that being 2lbs up, if I hold there for another week then I'm just going to figure I consumed the correct calorie amount.

Just don't want to blow this and end up abandoning ship because I'm gaining too fast....
  • psuLemon
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

I've seen you post this over and over, and that's why I'm trying not to get caught up in the huge leap, (which is down 2lbs this morning btw). I'm assuming if I just pay attention to what my trending weight is I should be ok. Based on that being 2lbs up, if I hold there for another week then I'm just going to figure I consumed the correct calorie amount.

Just don't want to blow this and end up abandoning ship because I'm gaining too fast....

Based on your diary, you don't have a ton of calories, so if after 4 to 6 weeks, you see weight gain too fast, taper back calories by 10%.
  • BobbyBooSh4y
    BobbyBooSh4y Posts: 15 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Two things:

I think this has been asked before, but when bulking it really doesn't matter if my fat intake exceeds my carbs, right? I'm set to 50% carbs, and 25% fat and protein, but my carbs always seem to lag behind a bit.

Second, I'm only three weeks in and the scale has jumped 6lbs. My trending weight thus far (I use the Happy Scale app) is up 2.3lbs. I was prepared for that big jump, but I'm assuming I seem to be on track so far? I still have a week left in the month and I'm already at 2lbs. Assuming I just keep carrying on as is?

1. I normally start with finding my protein, and fats intake first then fill the rest with carbs.
    2. If you were cutting before and now bulking having 50% of your calories being carbs your weight will go up, carbs hold water so you will gain water weight. I would move your carbs up slowly or you could gain quiet a bit of fat back.

*I wouldn't advise gaining more than 2-3lbs max per month when bulking* Don't wanna get all sloppy or gain the wrong kind of weight.
  • cnbbnc
    Options

Based on your diary, you don't have a ton of calories, so if after 4 to 6 weeks, you see weight gain too fast, taper back calories by 10%.

It really isn't a lot of calories! Jeez... If I have to bulk on less I'm going to be a lil sad. I'm 5'4...started at 110lbs, and am not overly active, so maybe I will have to drop lower. I'll keep monitoring it.

Thanks.

• Faldeen
    Faldeen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Need help...pls inbox
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about the six pounds in three weeks. As others have said it is a combination of increased water weight through glycogen, muscle repair, etc. Keep doing what you are doing and if you are still gaining at same six pound rate in another three weeks then taper back. My guess is that at six weeks in your gain will even out to about where you want to be...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    sbubenchik wrote: »
    What are your goals and purpose? Are you new to strength training or just new to trying to add muscle? Personally to add muscle and to stay lean I eat about 60% fats and 10% carbs all from veggies, nothing processed. That's year round forever. All it takes to add the muscle is time under tension. 8-12 rep range and even 5-6 sets. High volume I know, but it's how muscle fibers work. 6lbs in 3 weeks sounds kind of high unless you're new to lifting. A lot if that is water from all the carbs. Feel free to add/message if you want options. I helped my wife and many other women.

@sbubenchik what was the process that lead you to move to more fats and less carbs since that is not typical of all body builders?
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just needed to try something different and found it just works best for my body. I did higher carb for years and the best results I got were how I eat now. I have way more energy with the way I eat now, and I stay lean and built without working as hard as I did a few years back. Plus I started reading medical journals and took A&P from an MD when I was in school. The more I learned how the cells in the body work, the easier everything has been.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    Just needed to try something different and found it just works best for my body. I did higher carb for years and the best results I got were how I eat now. I have way more energy with the way I eat now, and I stay lean and built without working as hard as I did a few years back. Plus I started reading medical journals and took A&P from an MD when I was in school. The more I learned how the cells in the body work, the easier everything has been.

Interesting.... I could never go that low on carbs though! LOL! They definitely do leave me bloated, so I've always tried to moderate them regardless what I'm doing. Too many make me sluggish as well. Protein and veggies keep me lean and satiated, but I still need my carbs. Thanks for the input.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would not worry about the six pounds in three weeks. As others have said it is a combination of increased water weight through glycogen, muscle repair, etc. Keep doing what you are doing and if you are still gaining at same six pound rate in another three weeks then taper back. My guess is that at six weeks in your gain will even out to about where you want to be...

Ok.... Had to wipe a lil sweat off my brow at the thought of this pace keeping up, but I know what you're saying. I'll bite the bullet and keep going.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Avoiding Processed food and/or clean eating has nothing to do with staying lean or adding mass...

ndj1979 why after two years are you still struggling with this subject? It may not apply in your personal case but many others have the personal experience to know what @sbubenchik is stating is medically factually in our experiences.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Avoiding Processed food and/or clean eating has nothing to do with staying lean or adding mass...

Qft
  • psuLemon
    Options

Interesting.... I could never go that low on carbs though! LOL! They definitely do leave me bloated, so I've always tried to moderate them regardless what I'm doing. Too many make me sluggish as well. Protein and veggies keep me lean and satiated, but I still need my carbs. Thanks for the input.

Ok.... Had to wipe a lil sweat off my brow at the thought of this pace keeping up, but I know what you're saying. I'll bite the bullet and keep going.

If you want to exceed your protein goals its fine. Excessive protein will convert to glucose. And there is no need to get a ton of carbs. Carbs just tend to make it easier. And the question i woulf have which foods make you feel bloated? I would question it being carbs themselve but rather a subset.
  • psuLemon
    Options

ndj1979 why after two years are you still struggling with this subject? It may not apply in your personal case but many others have the personal experience to know what @sbubenchik is stating is medically factually in our experiences.

Gale, what experience do you have with bulking? Have you seen an isocaloric/isomacronutrient study that alter foods? Do you realize how many people struggle to get enough calories because they put excessive limitations on the foods they eat? Do you understand the benfits of carbs during a bulk? Do you understand the requirements of bulking while on keto?

We all agree that one should eat nutrient dense foods but as Alan Aragon has stated, you dont get extra credit for more nutrients than your body needs. Diets are about contexta dn bulking is about calories. If you cant sustain a surplus, you will not bulk, you will miss your goals and you will be trying to figure out whats broken.
  • cnbbnc
    Options

If you want to exceed your protein goals its fine. Excessive protein will convert to glucose. And there is no need to get a ton of carbs. Carbs just tend to make it easier. And the question i woulf have which foods make you feel bloated? I would question it being carbs themselve but rather a subset.

Absolutely. I love all things bread/pasta/rice but they make me feel really fluffy...sap my energy...and they don't leave me feeling full like meat and veggies, so I just stick to smaller amounts.

• psuLemon
    Options

Absolutely. I love all things bread/pasta/rice but they make me feel really fluffy...sap my energy...and they don't leave me feeling full like meat and veggies, so I just stick to smaller amounts.

If it's mostly grains making you feel bloated, it could be another mechanism that is causing the issues. So, if that is the case, I would drop those and try different types of carbs to see if you can get that replacement, such as: lentils, legumes, quinoa, oats or just add more fruits.

If you are at a point, where you want to worry about timing (not overly necessary but may be a precaution) is eat some carbs pre - or post-workout with some protein. Not saying it will improve results, but worst case it won't hurt.