1500 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week. Possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,988 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I agree with alexpn. Get that protein up. Almost everyone who has a lot of weight to lose is going to lose fat and muscle so don't get anxious and fearful about losing muscle. It's normal to do so in weight loss. Protein is the one macro you really want to hit or exceed daily, though.

Eating as much as possible while still losing weight and feeling good is winning! If MFP says you can eat 1800 to lose one pound a week, then I would say you could easily eat 1600-1700. You'll feel so much better and be much more likely to stick to it.

I thought we were suppose to get .8 lbs of protein per kg of our weight. For me that's under 100g. At least that's what I keep reading online.

Oh, I thought you said you weren't keeping up with your protein - but I see that you have your protein set pretty high already.

The point being that you can eat more!! Why not try 1700-1800 (as suggested by MFP.) Obviously if you are keeping your Carbs lower, you'll have to eat more fat. Mmmmm. Fat! Really, the difference between 1600 and 1800 can be as easy as errors in logging. I log everything, I use a digital food scale, but I'm sure I forget some things and/or underestimate/overestimate. It's a "close-enough" thing. That's why I have my calories set 150 calories lower than I need to - just for that buffer.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Try putting your info here and see what it says, as a cross-check against MFP's recommendation:

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

This is good. It puts me within 10 calories difference to MFP's recommendation.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with alexpn. Get that protein up. Almost everyone who has a lot of weight to lose is going to lose fat and muscle so don't get anxious and fearful about losing muscle. It's normal to do so in weight loss. Protein is the one macro you really want to hit or exceed daily, though.

Eating as much as possible while still losing weight and feeling good is winning! If MFP says you can eat 1800 to lose one pound a week, then I would say you could easily eat 1600-1700. You'll feel so much better and be much more likely to stick to it.

I thought we were suppose to get .8 lbs of protein per kg of our weight. For me that's under 100g. At least that's what I keep reading online.

Oh, I thought you said you weren't keeping up with your protein - but I see that you have your protein set pretty high already.

The point being that you can eat more!! Why not try 1700-1800 (as suggested by MFP.) Obviously if you are keeping your Carbs lower, you'll have to eat more fat. Mmmmm. Fat! Really, the difference between 1600 and 1800 can be as easy as errors in logging. I log everything, I use a digital food scale, but I'm sure I forget some things and/or underestimate/overestimate. It's a "close-enough" thing. That's why I have my calories set 150 calories lower than I need to - just for that buffer.

Yeah I use a food scale as well. I'm very ocd about that. Lol. As for fat, well I'm always over that and atm it's set at 62g.