Drinking a gallon of water

Options
2»

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Generally the established 8x8 rule [8 8oz glasses] works best for most [that's about 2 liters]. There's no need to drink more than that, unless you're still thirsty after that 2 liters and don't have an underlying medical condition.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Did your dietician actually tell you to drink a gallon of water every day?
    Or did she say something like "drink plenty of water". If it was me, I'd be asking her why so much, as that seems significantly higher than the general recommendations, so they must have had a reason.

I think some people find that drinking more water helps them to avoid snacking so much or drinking high calorie drinks, so you might find it helps to change over-eating habits... perhaps that's her strategy. Either way, I'd find out what her rational is.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    Generally the established 8x8 rule [8 8oz glasses] works best for most [that's about 2 liters]. There's no need to drink more than that, unless you're still thirsty after that 2 liters and don't have an underlying medical condition.

Ive always been confused about the general 64oz thing. If all adults need different calories why would they need the same amount of water?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    It is possible to drink too much water, especially if you drink other things like coffee or tea. Fruits and vegetables have water as well. I would go by your pee color.

This.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    xvolution wrote: »

Ive always been confused about the general 64oz thing. If all adults need different calories why would they need the same amount of water?

They don't. It's an old wives' tale that refuses to die. To say that a man who spends all day sitting at his desk in his air-conditioned office has the same hydration needs as an equivalent sized man who spends all day doing hard labor outdoors is laughable.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181/myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements