Can someone explain why I struggle with one type of exercise but not the other?

Options
2»

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Blame mom and dad. In all seriousness it's your genetics and everybody's body is different.

To put things in perspective and based on my own personal experience I could swim 1 to 2 miles two to three times a week and yet I was sucking wind after a mile jog and my legs would kill me.

When I was lifting I couldn't bench press my own weight but I could do lat pull-downs with more than I weighed. Also I could squat 2 times my own weight like it was no big deal.

I don't think it is a matter of genetics and using mom and dad as an excuse.

In my opinion, she hasn't been training properly for long distance running. And that is one of the reasons why she has continued to fail in her quest.

Long distance running requires the proper training, which will produce the endurance and stamina needed over time (along with incorporating good hydration (and fueling) techniques when applicable) to run long distances.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Blame mom and dad. In all seriousness it's your genetics and everybody's body is different.

To put things in perspective and based on my own personal experience I could swim 1 to 2 miles two to three times a week and yet I was sucking wind after a mile jog and my legs would kill me.

When I was lifting I couldn't bench press my own weight but I could do lat pull-downs with more than I weighed. Also I could squat 2 times my own weight like it was no big deal.

In my opinion, she hasn't been training properly for long distance running. And that is one of the reasons why she has continued to fail in her quest.

Long distance running requires the proper training, which will produce the endurance and stamina needed over time (along with incorporating good hydration (and fueling) techniques when applicable) to run long distances.

^This. Specificity of training matters. Powerlifters don't train by running 10Ks. 10K runners don't train by powerlifting. You can get very good at one and still completely suck at the other. Strength training isn't optimal for building a cardio base, and cardio isn't optimal for building a strength training base. I'm sure there are plenty of world-class powerlifters who would die if they had to run a 5K, and a lot of world-class runners who couldn't deadlift 25% of what a powerlifter can bench press.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

^This. Specificity of training matters. Powerlifters don't train by running 10Ks. 10K runners don't train by powerlifting. You can get very good at one and still completely suck at the other. Strength training isn't optimal for building a cardio base, and cardio isn't optimal for building a strength training base. I'm sure there are plenty of world-class powerlifters who would die if they had to run a 5K, and a lot of world-class runners who couldn't deadlift 25% of what a powerlifter can bench press.

Is it possible to be good at both? Or will there always be one that you're much better at? I'll give the endurance training more practice and go slower next time by the way.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Is it possible to be good at both? Or will there always be one that you're much better at? I'll give the endurance training more practice and go slower next time by the way.

Good in comparison to yourself - yes - you can keep improving both with well scheduled workouts.

Good in comparison to others - at a higher level likely not.

You could have an even match of slow/fast twitch fibers so have equal potential in both disciplines - but then others will have more of one and excel easily in that direction when they focus on it.

You could have more of one and focus on the other and become decent - but it'll always be harder for you compared to those that have it naturally.

But those things only start to matter if attempting age-group results and weight-class results.

You can make improvements for a long time before that matters - and if only comparing to yourself, no problem.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Good in comparison to yourself - yes - you can keep improving both with well scheduled workouts.

Good in comparison to others - at a higher level likely not.

You could have an even match of slow/fast twitch fibers so have equal potential in both disciplines - but then others will have more of one and excel easily in that direction when they focus on it.

You could have more of one and focus on the other and become decent - but it'll always be harder for you compared to those that have it naturally.

But those things only start to matter if attempting age-group results and weight-class results.

You can make improvements for a long time before that matters - and if only comparing to yourself, no problem.

Alright, thanks!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run longer, faster will do in a zombie attack

Which is the basic rule to judge all things

You could throw a dumbbell at a zombie's head and outrun the person next to you in a horde attack

In the scheme of things that is all that matters :bigsmile:

(PS I'm exactly the same, endurance sucks comparatively its down to enjoyment and muscle fibres)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

You will likely always be better at one, but you can absolutely be good at both. Good programming and consistency goes a long way. Somehow the myth is perpetuated that you have to be one or the other and are always destined to be that way. This is not the case at all.