5 Reasons You're not losing weight

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I don't think he is advocating an unbalanced diet, just suggesting that eating too much of certain foods may be causing changes in the intestinal flora which could be causing someone issues.

No, he didn't say "someone," he said "most people." BIG difference.

Needless woo-filled fearmongering at its finest.

Citation needed on the "woo-filled fearmongering." Peer reviewed article perhaps? Or is this just going to be another thread where everything one disagrees with is "woo not supported by science" with no actual science actually being presented to dispute it? You're making the claim that the author's statements are incorrect, so back up your claims.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How do you chew ice cream slowly? :D

Like this, of course......

w0tLdYL.jpg

• SLLRunner
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Non functioning guts are actually not that common but according to that he thinks they are.

You are correct. I heard this same thing at my appointment the other day with a well respected GI doctor. I trust him any day, and especially over a blogger.
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    PennWalker wrote: »
    z4oslo wrote: »
    .. and chewing all your food to a mush sound like symptoms of an eating disorder, not a legitimate weightloss method.

That is quite the opposite of a eating disorder. Stuffing your face as fast as you can (like most overweight people do) is however closer to beeing a disorder.

eating slow, and chew your food properly is the easiest way to lose weight, as it will prevent overeating.

I agree that eating slowly is better than racing through your meal.

I definitely don't agree with Will Owens about legumes.

Legumes from the Mayo Clinic:

Legumes — a class of vegetables that includes beans, peas and lentils — are among the most versatile and nutritious foods available. Legumes are typically low in fat, contain no cholesterol, and are high in folate, potassium, iron and magnesium. They also contain beneficial fats and soluble and insoluble fiber.
    Beans and other legumes: Cooking tips - Mayo Clinic
    www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition.../legumes/art-20044278Mayo Clinic

Lentils: 1 cup has the protein of 3 eggs.

Yes! In defense of legumes! Honestly, I can't hit my fiber goal without them. I eat legumes of one kind or another every day.

The virtues of legumes aside, if someone's digestion truly is not functioning, per the Will Owens quote, that person needs to see a doctor, not take blogger advice.

yes, Yes, YES.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

w0tLdYL.jpg

I have never seen a dog get "brain freeze". :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Awolturtle wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

w0tLdYL.jpg

Cats apparently can get it, maybe another reason dogs are better than cats ;)

post-66512-cat-with-brain-freeze-gif-tumb-0nTh.gif

OMG hilarious!!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

w0tLdYL.jpg

OMG, I spit my coke!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I had lentil soup for lunch. Guess my gut is now unbalanced.

Oh, and my breakfast included some yogurt made from goat's milk (I've been to the farm it was from, so I saw them hanging out on what I'd consider pasture and eating and stuff). Which leads to the question, why is "pastured" dairy extra bad for my gut (allegedly).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Non functioning guts are actually not that common but according to that he thinks they are.

You are correct. I heard this same thing at my appointment the other day with a well respected GI doctor. I trust him any day, and especially over a blogger.

Same with my gi. I have Crohn's so I know quite a bit about guts lol
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I don't think he is advocating an unbalanced diet, just suggesting that eating too much of certain foods may be causing changes in the intestinal flora which could be causing someone issues.

No, he didn't say "someone," he said "most people." BIG difference.

Needless woo-filled fearmongering at its finest.

Citation needed on the "woo-filled fearmongering." Peer reviewed article perhaps? Or is this just going to be another thread where everything one disagrees with is "woo not supported by science" with no actual science actually being presented to dispute it? You're making the claim that the author's statements are incorrect, so back up your claims.

You're asking them to prove the blog's claim wrong?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, and my breakfast included some yogurt made from goat's milk (I've been to the farm it was from, so I saw them hanging out on what I'd consider pasture and eating and stuff). Which leads to the question, why is "pastured" dairy extra bad for my gut (allegedly).

I'd bet money they meant to say "pasteurized dairy" as that's frequently a target of the "this food is BAD" crowd.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'd bet money they meant to say "pasteurized dairy" as that's frequently a target of the "this food is BAD" crowd.

Oh, heh, you are probably right.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

w0tLdYL.jpg

No, kitty kats are better than doggies....they are more patient. :D
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Sadly, the MFP blogs are full of woo. I've seen starvation mode and many examples of elimination diets that are unnecessary. I've eaten any food I've wanted and you can't argue with the 82lbs gone from my body.

I agree with this.

Any special gut diets should be prescribed by a GI doctor, supervised by a registered dietician, with follow up of the results. Digestive problems can be serious business, but that in no way means certain foods are bad.

Congrats on your amazing weight loss!