Options
    Awolturtle wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How do you chew ice cream slowly? :D

Like this, of course......

w0tLdYL.jpg

I have never seen a dog get "brain freeze". :)

Cats apparently can get it, maybe another reason dogs are better than cats ;)

post-66512-cat-with-brain-freeze-gif-tumb-0nTh.gif

My dog seems to have permanent brain freeze. She's so lucky she's cute.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options

w0tLdYL.jpg

No, kitty kats are better than doggies....they are more patient. :D

I'm more of a cat person myself. My apartment complex only allows cats so we can't have a dog...at least not until we move.
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Sadly, the MFP blogs are full of woo. I've seen starvation mode and many examples of elimination diets that are unnecessary. I've eaten any food I've wanted and you can't argue with the 82lbs gone from my body.

I agree with this.

Any special gut diets should be prescribed by a GI doctor, supervised by a registered dietician, with follow up of the results. Digestive problems can be serious business, but that in no way means certain foods are bad.

Congrats on your amazing weight loss!

I agree with this 100%.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

w0tLdYL.jpg

And devious. I admire that.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the MFP blogs are full of woo. I've seen starvation mode and many examples of elimination diets that are unnecessary. I've eaten any food I've wanted and you can't argue with the 82lbs gone from my body.

I agree with this.

Any special gut diets should be prescribed by a GI doctor, supervised by a registered dietician, with follow up of the results. Digestive problems can be serious business, but that in no way means certain foods are bad.

Also if you think you have gut issues please go see a gi instead of trying random diets to fix it (I almost diet from ignoring my Crohn's symptoms that I thought were IBS, eating the wrong things, etc)
  • mph323
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    I always thought gut issues made themselves known quite immediately by you know, causing one to poop one's brains out at the speed of sound for example.

My husband will testify to that.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I can testify to that too lol
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Unfortunately, split peas don't love me23wmt-superJumbo-v2.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    My gut issues are stealthy! Shhhhh
  • queenliz99
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »

Unfortunately, split peas don't love me23wmt-superJumbo-v2.jpg

Please forgive me!
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Haha I wish I could say that about mine but my gut hates me
  • mph323
    Options

I agree with this.

Also if you think you have gut issues please go see a gi instead of trying random diets to fix it (I almost diet from ignoring my Crohn's symptoms that I thought were IBS, eating the wrong things, etc)

I STRONGLY agree with this. Research your symptoms on the web if you must, but never self-diagnose. Take the research results to your Dr. and start a dialog.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Yep, I'm sorry! It's no laughing matter.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

No, laughing is dangerous, I poop easily ;)

@mph323 I was days away from perforating when I had my colonoscopy and was hospitalized for 34 days on TPN. My blood work was a mess, my bmi was below 17, I needed frequent transfusions and strong meds. In fact I started a drug usually used as a last chance med when all else fails (a biologic called Remicade) right at diagnosis. It took almost a year to get out of that flare and a year and a half later I am still not quite in remission. I wish I didn't ignore it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

w0tLdYL.jpg

My cats resemble that remark....especially with how they plot to jump on the kitchen counters when they think I can't hear the PLOP of their little feeties....LOL!
  • mph323
    Options

No, laughing is dangerous, I poop easily ;)

@mph323 I was days away from perforating when I had my colonoscopy and was hospitalized for 34 days on TPN. My blood work was a mess, my bmi was below 17, I needed frequent transfusions and strong meds. In fact I started a drug usually used as a last chance med when all else fails (a biologic called Remicade) right at diagnosis. It took almost a year to get out of that flare and a year and a half later I am still not quite in remission. I wish I didn't ignore it!

I am so sorry, that sounds horrific. I can see how easily crohn's symptoms could be mistaken for IBS. Putting your story out here might very well save others from the same experience.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

Yep. And, go to a knowledgeable GI too.
  • mph323
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

w0tLdYL.jpg

My cats resemble that remark....especially with how they plot to jump on the kitchen counters when they think I can't hear the PLOP of their little feeties....LOL!

Ever wake up with a cat on your chest staring into your soul with alien eyes?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »

I don't think he is advocating an unbalanced diet, just suggesting that eating too much of certain foods may be causing changes in the intestinal flora which could be causing someone issues.

No, he didn't say "someone," he said "most people." BIG difference.

Needless woo-filled fearmongering at its finest.

Citation needed on the "woo-filled fearmongering." Peer reviewed article perhaps? Or is this just going to be another thread where everything one disagrees with is "woo not supported by science" with no actual science actually being presented to dispute it? You're making the claim that the author's statements are incorrect, so back up your claims.

Okay, from a post upthread:

"Legumes — a class of vegetables that includes beans, peas and lentils — are among the most versatile and nutritious foods available. Legumes are typically low in fat, contain no cholesterol, and are high in folate, potassium, iron and magnesium. They also contain beneficial fats and soluble and insoluble fiber.
    Beans and other legumes: Cooking tips - Mayo Clinic
    www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition.../legumes/art-20044278Mayo Clinic

Lentils: 1 cup has the protein of 3 eggs."

Why are legumes to be limited? Why are they "bad?" The author clearly states that legumes are among the reasons why "Unfortunately, most people don’t usually realize their gut isn’t functioning properly until it’s too late."

Too late for what, exactly?

Therefore, it's needless woo-filled fearmongering at its finest.

And we'll just have to agree to disagree, then.

None of that contradicts the author's claim about minimizing legumes to prevent malfunctions in the gut - it doesn't even discuss gut flora or anything to do with digestion other than mentioning that they contain fiber. I hardly think that post meets the criteria to be sufficient support to disprove the author's claim.

To be clear, I'm not sure where the author got that and haven't had time to look it up on his site, although I did see some article about digestion when I scanned his twitter feed. The article I linked to said that there was one study which showed a link between chickpeas and a lowered percentage of certain gut microbiota, but it also said there wasn't enough research out there to conclude how legumes influence microbiota (which I originally stated in my post upthread that the authors determined more research is needed). The OP asked for information about the claim, so I provided an article with a review of the research which will hopefully give her some answers, or at the very least give a starting point for some further research if she's interested in the topic.

I'm not saying that I'm buying his claim, but I'm also not going to just dismiss something as being "woo fear-mongering" without at least looking into the claim further, especially if I don't actually have any knowledge or research myself to prove that claim to be false. Appealing to science is a logical fallacy, after all.