Do you gain when you go to maintenance?

Options
Plutodreams
Plutodreams Posts: 67 Member
edited September 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
For the past week, I've been eating 1600-1800, mostly at the upper end, and so far I've gained .8 pounds. I run 2.3 miles 5 days a week, and 4.6 the other 2 days. I'm 5'9, female and 132 pounds. Wondering if this means I'm gaining or if it's like adjusting to more calories as I was previously eating 1400-1600. It seems odd that I would actually gain on 1800 but maybe that is possible. Also I've been eating more carbs. I don't really count macros I just weigh food and count calories. Per day, I eat mostly whole foods, protein at every meal (5-8 servings), a few servings of fruit and I've increased my fat to 2-4 servings a day, 2-3 carbs per day in addition to fruit. For dessert a lot of times I will have greek yogurt, fruit or the low cal arctic ice ice cream. Thoughts?

Replies

• Plutodreams
    Options
    I've only increased my carbs by 1-2 servings a day, but I'm at about the same level of fruit. But I confess some days I use up my extra calories on diet "ice cream" (35 cals per serving) whichhas some carbs. Could this be it? I've just been craving cold food it helps my headaches... maybe I should switch to frozen fruit or something.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Keep eating food that pleases you. The weight will drop back off if you are in a calorie deficit. Give it a couple weeks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Often people see a slight increase in scale weight when transitioning to maintenance, it is usually temporary water weight from glycogen stores being replenished, especially if a person was eating at a large deficit for a prolonged period of time.

Some more info will help people give you more specific advice...

Have you calculated your TDEE? Were you losing weight eating 1400-1600? How much were you losing per week? Were you eating back exercise cals? How accurate is your logging - do you use a food scale?

You were eating pretty low for such high activity, unless you were eating back exercise cals. For what it's worth I'm 7 inches shorter than you and my activity is mostly walking, but my maintenance cals are around 2100 for a weight of 120 lbs. So my initial reaction is that no, 1800 is not your maintenance level, it should be higher than that given your stats and activity.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How familiar are you with your natural fluctuations? 0.8 lb fluctuation in a week is completely normal for me, 5'7". My TDEE for maintenance will be about 1700, so your numbers seem on target to me, plus eating back a few exercise cals.
  • Plutodreams
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Often people see a slight increase in scale weight when transitioning to maintenance, it is usually temporary water weight from glycogen stores being replenished, especially if a person was eating at a large deficit for a prolonged period of time.

Have you calculated your TDEE? Were you losing weight eating 1400-1600? How much were you losing per week? Were you eating back exercise cals? How accurate is your logging - do you use a food scale?

You were eating pretty low for such high activity, unless you were eating back exercise cals. For what it's worth I'm 7 inches shorter than you and my activity is mostly walking, but my maintenance cals are around 2100 for a weight of 120 lbs. So my initial reaction is that no, 1800 is not your maintenance level, it should be higher than that given your stats and activity.

I lost like 6-7 pounds in about 1 1/2 months. I was losing at 1300-1400 at a rate of about .5-1 lb per week. I then went up to 1400-1600 and thought I noticed just super slow loss/maintenance. I felt hungry still on that so then went up to 1700-1800 and now I'm gaining. I did not eat back exercise calories. My logging is super accurate--I weigh every last piece of lettuce, and I write down everything in a notebook, including vitamins. I have used various calculators to figure out my TDEE and the results I've gotten range anywhere from 1750-2100. I am sedentary for the most part, with the exception of running and going for a walk 1-3 times a week. Actually I was walking a lot more when I was losing too, and I've gone from 3-4 walks a week to previously stated number. Walks are generally 20 mins to an hour. Maybe i should go back to walking more. I really hate to but I'm planning on dropping my cals back down to 1400-1600 to see if that is my true maintenance level. It's depressing if that's the case!
  • Plutodreams
    Options

I lost like 6-7 pounds in about 1 1/2 months. I was losing at 1300-1400 at a rate of about .5-1 lb per week. I then went up to 1400-1600 and thought I noticed just super slow loss/maintenance. I felt hungry still on that so then went up to 1700-1800 and now I'm gaining. I did not eat back exercise calories. My logging is super accurate--I weigh every last piece of lettuce, and I write down everything in a notebook, including vitamins. I have used various calculators to figure out my TDEE and the results I've gotten range anywhere from 1750-2100. I am sedentary for the most part, with the exception of running and going for a walk 1-3 times a week. Actually I was walking a lot more when I was losing too, and I've gone from 3-4 walks a week to previously stated number. Walks are generally 20 mins to an hour. Maybe i should go back to walking more. I really hate to but I'm planning on dropping my cals back down to 1400-1600 to see if that is my true maintenance level. It's depressing if that's the case!

I wouldn't make the change after a 0.8 lb increase and only one week of higher cals. You really need to stick with it for a few weeks as there are many things that could cause fluctuations (water retention, stress, hormones, menstrual cycles, all of the above).

Your stats and your rate of loss suggest that your maintenance cals should be at least 1800 so I would avoid having a knee jerk reaction to less than a pound increase on the scale and just give it time, especially since you said you were hungry eating at lower levels. Also remember that maintenance isn't a single number, it's a range of anywhere from 3-5 lbs. I say that my weight is 120 but my maintenance range is between 118-122. Even if it goes above or below that range I give it a few weeks and things usually normalize.

I hear you. I guess the 3-5 pound range thing is my issue then because that's almost the entirety of my weight loss. I didn't want to lose a lot but the minor shift in weight has made a huge difference for me in terms of how I feel/look. I'm back in my old fav skinny jeans and I can run more easily etc. Anyway that's why originally I was wanting to lose 6 more pounds, because really this weight is kind of the maximum of my happy size and 5-6 pounds less from where I am is as slim as I can get before I start to feel/look boney and underweight and not good. Maybe I should just drop few more so I can comfortably fluctuate.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I wouldn't make the change after a 0.8 lb increase and only one week of higher cals. You really need to stick with it for a few weeks as there are many things that could cause fluctuations (water retention, stress, hormones, menstrual cycles, all of the above).

Your stats and your rate of loss suggest that your maintenance cals should be at least 1800 so I would avoid having a knee jerk reaction to less than a pound increase on the scale and just give it time, especially since you said you were hungry eating at lower levels. Also remember that maintenance isn't a single number, it's a range of anywhere from 3-5 lbs. I say that my weight is 120 but my maintenance range is between 118-122. Even if it goes above or below that range I give it a few weeks and things usually normalize.

I hear you. I guess the 3-5 pound range thing is my issue then because that's almost the entirety of my weight loss. I didn't want to lose a lot but the minor shift in weight has made a huge difference for me in terms of how I feel/look. I'm back in my old fav skinny jeans and I can run more easily etc. Anyway that's why originally I was wanting to lose 6 more pounds, because really this weight is kind of the maximum of my happy size and 5-6 pounds less from where I am is as slim as I can get before I start to feel/look boney and underweight and not good. Maybe I should just drop few more so I can comfortably fluctuate.

Do you ever do any strength training? Many people who are at a healthy weight but not satisfied with their body find great success in doing a Recomp, essentially eating at maintenance but with heavy focus on strength training.

• Plutodreams
    Options

Do you ever do any strength training? Many people who are at a healthy weight but not satisfied with their body find great success in doing a Recomp, essentially eating at maintenance but with heavy focus on strength training.

I tried several times and I swear to God I have the weirdest physical ability to pack on muscle. When other women do strength training they look amazing, but when I do it I look like the hulk. I tried different ways. I just don't like how I look when I do strength training. It's very odd but I think it is genetic as everyone on my dad's side of the family, including the women, are muscular and large people. Good for them but I don't like it on me. Sorry I'm not trying to reject all of your suggestions btw.. I really appreciate your insight/advice. At least now I can expect a gain whenever I do go for maintenance.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I did, a little. But, I also went into maintenance:

* Slowly
    * ~2 lbs under goal weight

It allowed a little "bounce" while I got used to maintenance, and the slow progression helped keep the bounce minimal. I only noted that every time I changed my deficit, it took about a week to get into the expected weight change. Figured the same would happen in maintenance.
  • Plutodreams
    Options

* Slowly

It allowed a little "bounce" while I got used to maintenance, and the slow progression helped keep the bounce minimal. I only noted that every time I changed my deficit, it took about a week to get into the expected weight change. Figured the same would happen in maintenance.

This is very helpful. I think I need to do this, go back down a few pounds, then slowly go up to maintenance. Can I ask what you mean by slowly...like 100 extra per week or? And how did you figure out what your true maintenance calories were?
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

* Slowly

This is very helpful. I think I need to do this, go back down a few pounds, then slowly go up to maintenance. Can I ask what you mean by slowly...like 100 extra per week or? And how did you figure out what your true maintenance calories were?

I can totally relate. We just can't be too chicken to try and up our calories. I just posted about this topic this morning. I know that I am to much of a chicken to see the scale go up even though I know it's extra undigested food, water from carbs and not fat. It's really a mind game. But someone replied what do I have to lose if I try to increase calories by 100 each day for 30 days. We'll see if I will give it a shot. Also, I read lots of posts were people said they lost a few pounds below goal just to factor in that small bounce you get in maintenance due to the extra carbs, undigested food etc.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

* Slowly

I can totally relate. We just can't be too chicken to try and up our calories. I just posted about this topic this morning. I know that I am to much of a chicken to see the scale go up even though I know it's extra undigested food, water from carbs and not fat. It's really a mind game. But someone replied what do I have to lose if I try to increase calories by 100 each day for 30 days. We'll see if I will give it a shot. Also, I read lots of posts were people said they lost a few pounds below goal just to factor in that small bounce you get in maintenance due to the extra carbs, undigested food etc.

The only other alternative is to be bummed because we believe our maintenance range is a lower number because we were too scared to test out a higher number. I think if we are able to wrap our heads around the slight scale increase, we would be pleasantly surprised that we can eat a little more. That would be nice, huh? :)
  • Plutodreams
    edited September 2016
    Options

* Slowly

The only other alternative is to be bummed because we believe our maintenance range is a lower number because we were too scared to test out a higher number. I think if we are able to wrap our heads around the slight scale increase, we would be pleasantly surprised that we can eat a little more. That would be nice, huh? :)

Oh my god yes. I want the courage to do this. I think I'm gonna try to lower for a week, see what that does. And if I lose bump it up, and if I maintain I'm gonna either decide do I want to lose so I can have more wiggle room or should I just bump it up slowly and see where my true maintenance is? In the latter case maybe I'll just do it very slowly, like 100 a week. I'm an astrologer and right now the moon is waxing so I know it's harder to decrease when the energy is increasing. I might just go with the universe right now and try to maintain over the next few weeks, experiment/play with calories, then when the moon is waning again consider dropping 3-5 lbs for the extra wiggle room. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat the maximum amount without gaining or obsessing too much. I am tired of dieting and gaining/losing the same stupid 7 pounds every couple years. Lets promise ourselves we'll get the nerve to eat more!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    You are already at the low end of a healthy weight range for your height. The 0.8 lb increase you saw this week is likely not permanent. I would stick with the 1800 for now and I think you should even be able to go higher.

Increasing cals can be scary but you need to be patient...
  • Plutodreams
    Options
    You are already at the low end of a healthy weight range for your height. The 0.8 lb increase you saw this week is likely not permanent. I would stick with the 1800 for now and I think you should even be able to go higher.

Thanks girl. I think I might have the courage to do this after I drop a few more/see that I'm losing or at least maintaining on 1400-1500. I just can't stand to have to gain another pound when it was really hard to take off each pound, and I really didn't lose much so the potential 3-5 lb adjustment fluctuation when switching to maintenance will rob me of the majority of what I did work so hard to lose. Some people have slow metabolisms and I've always thought I might be one of them. This is my first time ever truly counting calories so I guess eventually I'll find out. I'm honestly still hungry on 1800 so I really hope that I'm wrong and that you're right, and eventually I'll be able to eat more than this. :/
  • leejoyce31
    Options

* Slowly

Oh my god yes. I want the courage to do this. I think I'm gonna try to lower for a week, see what that does. And if I lose bump it up, and if I maintain I'm gonna either decide do I want to lose so I can have more wiggle room or should I just bump it up slowly and see where my true maintenance is? In the latter case maybe I'll just do it very slowly, like 100 a week. I'm an astrologer and right now the moon is waxing so I know it's harder to decrease when the energy is increasing. I might just go with the universe right now and try to maintain over the next few weeks, experiment/play with calories, then when the moon is waning again consider dropping 3-5 lbs for the extra wiggle room. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat the maximum amount without gaining or obsessing too much. I am tired of dieting and gaining/losing the same stupid 7 pounds every couple years. Lets promise ourselves we'll get the nerve to eat more!

It's a deal!
  • leejoyce31
    Options

Thanks girl. I think I might have the courage to do this after I drop a few more/see that I'm losing or at least maintaining on 1400-1500. I just can't stand to have to gain another pound when it was really hard to take off each pound, and I really didn't lose much so the potential 3-5 lb adjustment fluctuation when switching to maintenance will rob me of the majority of what I did work so hard to lose. Some people have slow metabolisms and I've always thought I might be one of them. This is my first time ever truly counting calories so I guess eventually I'll find out. I'm honestly still hungry on 1800 so I really hope that I'm wrong and that you're right, and eventually I'll be able to eat more than this. :/

The only way that I could maintain on 1500 without increasing already is because I am not hungry. If you are hungry, do you think it's a good idea to drop more calories? No advice here, just food for thought. :)
  • Plutodreams
    Options

The only way that I could maintain on 1500 without increasing already is because I am not hungry. If you are hungry, do you think it's a good idea to drop more calories? No advice here, just food for thought. :)

Thanks, I hear you! Idk, this is all new to me. What is weird is that, I felt pretty much the same levels of hunger at 1400 as I do at 1800. It's like, the more I eat, the hungrier I get? I sometimes wonder if there's a point where I'm not going to be hungry, or if there's just a bottomless abyss where my stomach should be!