Abdominal Axioms: 9 Rules For Better Abs.

Options

Replies

• CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Not sure what all the disagreement is about.

Abs are made in the kitchen, refined in the gym.

Yep. with a calories deficit.

simple as that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

......... if you havnt got anything possitive to say and that goes for everyone then keep it to your selfs because negativity gets you no where in life.

Where will copypasta and vague insults get me?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    <--- does not do isolation ab exercises, or eat clean, or avoid booze. The only thing I agree with in this list is #7, and to some extent #s 1 & 8
  • SmartBlogz
    SmartBlogz Posts: 37
    Options
    Good tips. Thanks!
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    <--- does not do isolation ab exercises, or eat clean, or avoid booze. The only thing I agree with in this list is #7, and to some extent #s 1 & 8

agreed...and i could use a little more #9
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I thought they were reasonable general guidelines. I'm sure they would work.

Is it impossible to obtain leaness if you don't follow them. Of course not.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    To those that don't agree with the list, I'd really like to know why. Not starting a fight, just would be interesting to know as I am always up for learning new things.....
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Ya good tips .

Ill stick with a calorie deficit to see abs . its working.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    To those that don't agree with the list, I'd really like to know why. Not starting a fight, just would be interesting to know as I am always up for learning new things.....

All you need to do is have low enough body fat% to see abs, so a caloric deficit (the smaller the better so you lose less muscle mass) and time, as it may take a while to lose enough fat to see them
  • schakiiiii
    schakiiiii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I agree to an extent. I personally subscribe to the moderation on occasion theory and my abs love me for it. :wink:
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of all the negative posts... as someone who hasn't always stayed physically active, and never ate properly until recent years.... this article is very helpful.

Thanks for posting this... even if you didn't include link... which you are right, I never would have opened or read

If these points don't benefit you or you've already got your model/rock star body.... congrats ... go read about squats.. and give me 10 pushups !
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Good tips, shame about all the unhelpful negative posters. They could have at least tried to share their tips or add to the list.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Good tips, shame about all the unhelpful negative posters. They could have at least tried to share their tips or add to the list.

I also noticed that no one came back to explain the points they don't agree on, why they don't agree and what is better instead.

*shrugs*

I thought it was good info for someone who isn't sure how to go about getting a six pack. I understand that it's all about lowering your bf % but I think the information provided very good ways to do this, especially cutting out (or down) the booze. I know that's why I don't have the abs that I want.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options

15% for women - YES (if you read it says aim for!!)

WOMEN:
    Competition Shape ("ripped"): 8-12%
    Very Lean (excellent): < 15%
    Lean (good): 16-20%
    Satisfactory (fair): 21-25%
    Improvement needed (poor): 26-30%
    Major improvement needed (Very poor): 31-40%+

I really don't think so.

<15% for women = serious (potentially life threatening) problems if done on a sustained long term basis

As a female, your body has more essential fat than a male for proper body functions, particularly reproduction. If you fall below 15 percent body fat you may notice your body stops having a menstrual cycle. This may not sound so bad, but it will affect your ability to have children. Additionally, as your body fat reduces to unhealthy amounts your body will start to burn your muscles for energy, and since your heart is a muscle you risk damaging the most important muscle in your body and risking your life. This is one reason anorexia nervosa is such a serious disease.

(source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/128666-low-body-fat-percentage-women/#ixzz2Z7HycWhP)

Fitness models don't keep themselves that lean all the time for those reasons. You also can't build muscle while keeping yourself excessively lean - TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch). People who are competitive body builders or fitness models cycle to build muscle and then achieve that lean look on a schedule, giving their bodies a break in between competitions. When they are on stage, they are spray tanned and oiled up. On photo shoots, they are made up, properly lit, pump just before taking the shots, and (gasp) sometimes even photo-shopped to optimize the look.

If someone's genetics are such that their body is naturally that lean - those people exist and I am definitely not one of them - great. In the end you have to work with whatever you have, to the best of your own potential, and listen to your body.

Ultimately, abs are built 20% in the gym and 80% in the kitchen - through a calorie deficit for fat loss. If you're going to be eating in a deficit, you need to make those calories count. Your best bets would be higher quality proteins, a variety of good vegetation and fats will provide the full spectrum of nutrients your body needs to function properly while losing the fat. That being said, unless you're someone who is a serious competitive athlete, working towards a scheduled event, if you're eating pretty sanely 90% of the time, that double bacon cheeseburger once in a blue moon is not going to kill you.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

I also noticed that no one came back to explain the points they don't agree on, why they don't agree and what is better instead.

*shrugs*

I thought it was good info for someone who isn't sure how to go about getting a six pack. I understand that it's all about lowering your bf % but I think the information provided very good ways to do this, especially cutting out (or down) the booze. I know that's why I don't have the abs that I want.

I would say the only part I don't agree with is it being all or nothing. I still had half an order of chicken fried chicken with queso on top the other night and a pina colada yesterday. Just, normally I eat baked chicken (tuna, turkey or tilapia) and roasted or regular veggies.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options

While I don't feel like going point by point explaining why I don't fully agree, I do want to say: Mustard is a delicious condiment that is zero calories and not full of sugar and is delicious (did I say that already?) and I will never give it up. EVER!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    For those crying out against naysayers for not "giving their tips"... they did. I've seen it mentioned at least twice: caloric deficit/reducing body fat %. That's it. People have abs eating McDonald's, people have abs eating organic Paleo what-have-you. People have it doing no crunches (a thing I'll agree with in the article), people have it doing tons of crunches. It all, ultimately, has to do with a low body fat %.

That's not being negative to point that out, or point out a disagreement. It's incredibly negative to insult other users' bodies (against forum rules, btw), or advocate your own "guideline" for healthy body fat % for others("very lean," or under 15%, is fine, but not an ultimate goal to aim for for every woman--it's more like the "ultimate leanness before experiencing any potential health issue, specifically reproductive").
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The list is completely unnecessary. To get abs you need: a calorie deficit. Everything else on that list is completely superfluous and unnecessary.