treadmill vs outdoor running

Options
is one more beneficial than the other?
is it easier on a treadmill than outside?

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Honestly, as far as difficulty goes, it’s a complete wash for me. Running on a treadmill is technically easier than running outside from a pure Physics perspective. However, that is balanced out by the mental boredom/difficulty that goes along with being on the treadmill.
    So I can go just as far/fast outside as I can on a treadmill.
    In terms of which is more beneficial, it would depend on your criteria.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    I can run outside for over an hour, past 30 mins on a treadmill i get super bored, even with music or a tv going.
    I feel like a hamster on a wheel. I have noticed that i dont get as good a workout leg wise on a treadmill due to its moving and Im not. Its a winter routine for me due to ice, but when i can get outside. I much rather that.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I find the control you have on a treadmill one of its better features. Regulating speed is easy on a TM, not so much outside, especially for a new runner unless you use a GPS watch. If you run an out and back route outside, or even a loop, once you are out there you are committed for that distance back. On a TM you can stop whenever you want and will be right where you started.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i started c25k on a treadmill and was zipping through the program pretty well, one night i decided to run outside to get to my local pub for trivia. i nearly died after 3 minutes and i was a mess by the end. That being said, circumstances changed and i've not had access to a treadmill in a year and now i run outside and i love it. i'll have my first treadmill run tomorrow and i'm really curious to see how it will go.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use both but prefer outside by a long shot. It's more challenging physically, but much more visually stimulating. When I run outside, I tend to listen to my body more on how fast it wants to/ can go. That being said, I do love my treadmill for rainy or scorching days, or days when the kids won't let me leave the house.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Both are better than not running.
    Treadmill can be anytime, never gets dark, unlikely to be mugged etc, can be ok with seasonal allergies
    Outside you can do almost anywhere, is better mentallt/spiritually, is harder physciaclly due to uneven ground etc.

The important thing is to run!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    I find the control you have on a treadmill one of its better features. Regulating speed is easy on a TM, not so much outside, especially for a new runner unless you use a GPS watch. If you run an out and back route outside, or even a loop, once you are out there you are committed for that distance back. On a TM you can stop whenever you want and will be right where you started.

This is a good point. I had a lot of trouble when I was a very new runner trying to regulate my pace, and I was constantly going out too fast and ending up exhausted well before my planned route was finished, even if it was a distance I knew I could cover. It was nice when I was starting out to be able to say "okay, 5K at 10:00 min/mile, 1% incline" and then just run without thinking about it.

Most people here will sing the praises of outdoor running and talk about the treadmill like a torture device, but I really don't feel that way. I use both the treadmill and outdoors and I like them both for different reasons. I go outside when I like the weather and it's daytime, inside when it's inclement or dark. Both have their advantages to me but I tend to run a little faster outdoors for some reason.

One thing I do like about the treadmill is being able to blast my music and read a book or watch something or whatever and just zone out completely. It's kind of nice to be able to completely ignore my surroundings for a while. I also like not having to worry about what I'm wearing or carrying and I can just hop on with no fuss. I also live in a fairly cold climate and it's nice to not have to battle minus forty temps and snow and ice and dark for months on end if I want a workout.

Outdoor runs feel a little easier to me because there's a defined sense of how long I'm doing it for based on my route, plus I have a lot more to observe and occupy my mind that way. But everyone is different.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    If you run an out and back route outside, or even a loop, once you are out there you are committed for that distance back. On a TM you can stop whenever you want and will be right where you started.

Being committed to a distance is a bad thing? B)

Last time I checked success in running (like success in all other aspects of life) was premised on commitment.

• marciblue1
    marciblue1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill, no dogs, vehicles and I can open the windows for fresh air. I grab a good book and gradually increase my time and difficulty. Before I know it 30 to 60 minutes are finished.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside. The terrain varies inclines etc...but lately I've been too lazy to run outside so I've been running on the treadmill.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Outside, off road for me. I get as bored on flat tarmac as I do on a treadmill, plus off road uses more body skills and core muscles. I keep myself entertained by watching the wildlife, trying to pick blackberries in motion and doing my best not to fall over something. Gives me a mental challenge.

I run faster overall outside. I think this is because my pace changes to reflect the surface, I doubt we evolved to run a steady continuous pace. The movement of air over my skin helps evaporate my sweat so keeps me cool, on a treadmill i would most likely give up due to overheating after time.

Plus outside I get to discover new places, I'm constantly getting lost in the woods near me. I'm looking to join a running club soon to explore more places and let other people get me lost.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Both have there place. I enjoy the tarmac for sure. However, in Florida there aren't many hills, so I can change the elevation. I can also concentrate on form and more effectively do intervals. TM are a great tool for training, but would it ever be my go to choice? No, but it serves it purpose.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of treadmills at all, but I can see where they've got value for those who can't get out and run in the real.

I get very bored, so I'd rather get kitted up and go out. Night-time running on trails is great fun, and good training for long duration races that'll extend into the night, or night races.

The variation in terrain gives far more training effect, although that assumes you've got ready access to challenging routes. If all you've got access to is flat surface, then you need to use one to give yourself some elevation.

Needs must though, for some.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Being committed to a distance is a bad thing?

I didn't say that. Being committed to a distance for your run is generally good, but sometimes things change and being 4 miles from home can turn out to be pretty inconvenient.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    When i was prepping for a race i only ran on a treadmill. Everyone said that i woukdnt be able to duplicate or beat my treadmill times outside. I beat my treadmill time and won. Turns outi hate running either way.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    marciblue1 wrote: »
    I love the treadmill, no dogs, vehicles and I can open the windows for fresh air. I grab a good book and gradually increase my time and difficulty. Before I know it 30 to 60 minutes are finished.

You can read while running?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    marciblue1 wrote: »

You can read while running?

I didn't post this but I can and do on the treadmill often, with my ereader and the font size increased a bit. I just put it on the ledge and tap whenever I need to turn the page.

Granted, I only do this with "easy" runs (for me that's no faster than about a 9 min/mile or 6.8 mph) and wouldn't do it with sprint intervals or anything, but I don't find it too challenging most of the time.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I would be vomiting but I can't read in the car either