treadmill vs outdoor running

Options
13»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    There are good reasons to use either. I avoid treadmills for running because my gait changes and I end up with sore knees.
  • michaelachaela
    michaelachaela Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Running outside for sure . You sweat more and youre breathing in fresh air . It allow you to go your own pace as well in stead of trying to keep up to a treadmill speed . I feel lighter and bouncier on a track than a treadmill. Granted I hate running but it's less painful on a track where you can see your endgoal up ahead of you
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like both for different reasons. My stride is definitely different on treadmill vs. outside so I think incorporating both is probably working different muscles.

I find running on a treadmill to be harder because it forces me to keep my pace even when I'm tired. Outside when I get tired I tend to slow down, but outside is a lot less boring for me so I can usually run for longer.

I also have arthritis in one knee so the treadmill is nice if it has some give to it - a little more shock absorption.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I'm not a tremendous fan of any stationary cardio equipment. I cycle and would much rather be out on my bike than on the stationary...though I can get a good workout either way...the stationary bike is just friggin' boring though...a mere 30 minutes of intervals feels like an eternity while I watch the clock...30 minutes outside doing intervals flies by. No way I could do a long ride on a stationary...3-4 hours on my bike though? No problem!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like the treadmill because it helps me keep a steady pace. and i watch a tv show or two. i've done a full 13 miles on the treadmill.
    i like running outside but i seem to train better on the treadmill

however, outside is nice. i find it more refreshing and easier to run out there.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    the stationary bike is just friggin' boring though...a mere 30 minutes of intervals feels like an eternity while I watch the clock...30 minutes outside doing intervals flies by.

Have you tried the sufferfest video's?
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    the stationary bike is just friggin' boring though...a mere 30 minutes of intervals feels like an eternity while I watch the clock...30 minutes outside doing intervals flies by.

No, I've generally been in my gym when I'm doing the stationary bike and my coach usually hooks me up with something utterly painful...yet still boring 'cuz I'm still just staring at the wall.

I'm getting a good indoor trainer for my birthday though and plan on looking into something like that for those not so nice winter days.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    niblue wrote: »

No, when I'm on the stationary it's usually in my coach's gym and he gives me something to work on. I'm getting an indoor trainer though for my birthday and was going to look into some training videos for home when the weather turns this winter.
  • ohsosweet26
    ohsosweet26 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You benefit from either as it gets you moving and gets your HR up.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoors when I can! I love the distractions of nature and the diversity of landscape. I trained for an ultra marathon this year, and I had to get my miles in however I could! One time, I was traveling, and had nothing but a hotel gym treadmill to work with! I ran 12 miles while watching a movie :) can't say it was the funnest, but it worked!
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    I'm a treadmill runner, safer, easier on the joints, no stopping for traffic, and control of your pace. About an hour every other day.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    marciblue1 wrote: »
    I love the treadmill, no dogs, vehicles and I can open the windows for fresh air. I grab a good book and gradually increase my time and difficulty. Before I know it 30 to 60 minutes are finished.

30 max for me!! Don't know how you do that 60.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love outdoors running, especially really early or late when the streets are deserted. For me it's a good discipline that once I've run 20 mins, I need to do another 20 mins just to get back home... :smile:
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Outdoor running is the best. When I used to run on the treadmill, I got very bored after 30 minutes. I tried covering the screen so I wouldnt see the time but that didnt work. Treadmill running is very boring. Its great running out in nature and getting fresh air into the lungs.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside because I don't need to pay the gym entrance fee or monthly membership. However, if I do run on a treadmill, I don't need a sighted guide as there isn't anything to crash into. It's a very specific reason so it will be different for everyone but for me it is 50/50. Pay vs hassle of organising a guide.