Need more fiber

Options
2»

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I average 30-40 grams of fiber a day. Lots of veggies (veggie omelet 3-5 days per week for breakfast, big salad for lunch; whole grains (oatmeal+flax 2-3 days a week for breakfast, and sometimes for an afternoon snack), and heavy reliance on beans and legumes as protein sources.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    VegetaSKJ wrote: »
    candie33 wrote: »
    Does the chia seeds dissolve in the water?

No, it makes wet, slightly crunchy goo.

That sounds...appealing? :s
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My food diary is open and today I'm going to get to 47 grams of fiber today. Click the button to view Printable to see the fiber column.
  • bvplh
    bvplh Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Actually, it can create sort of a nice texture, like a thick pudding, when mixed with greek yogurt, mashed sweet potato, etc. The taste is really neutral, unlike flax, and it is a great way to add fiber. Between chia, oatmeal, and regular fruits and veggies, I always go over my fiber requirement.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I suggest trying gettting your fibre from food, like all bran cereals, or oatmeal bran for example. Just google high fiber foods and see what fits in your diet and lifestyle. If you can't reach your goal from food then you can add psyllium husks.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

I'll mix chia seeds in my yogurt, but I don't care for mixing them in water. Drinking chia fresca is like drinking a glass full of tadpoles.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

I'll mix chia seeds in my yogurt, but I don't care for mixing them in water. Drinking chia fresca is like drinking a glass full of tadpoles.

I mix chia seeds with chocolate soy milk and let it sit in the fridge for half an hour. It becomes like pudding.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

Ack. I just dry heaved. LOL
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    bvplh wrote: »

Actually, it can create sort of a nice texture, like a thick pudding, when mixed with greek yogurt, mashed sweet potato, etc. The taste is really neutral, unlike flax, and it is a great way to add fiber. Between chia, oatmeal, and regular fruits and veggies, I always go over my fiber requirement.

Interesting. I find chia seeds to be kind of bitter so I usually only add them to soups, whereas I never taste ground flax at all.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So much easier than I thought! Thanks everyone :)
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options

This has me rolling.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I actually tired a spoon full of chia seeds. Besides helping keep you hydrated (drink water after you eat them) it was a pretty filling snack. Don't eat too much of it, I wouldn't go over 3 Table spoons a day.
  • ErlienWubs
    ErlienWubs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get about 50 grams a day usually. Beans, vegetables, high-fiber fruits (berries, pears, etc). If you're eating lots of vegetables, I think it would be hard not to hit your fiber goal.

DITTO - same for me.