Need more fiber

Options
How do you reach your fiber goal for the day? I'm finding it very difficult to reach my goal and stay within calories. I read avocados were pretty fiber rich so I'm going to get some. Are fiber supplements and bars as good as naturally fiber rich foods? I read that only 5% of Americans get enough fiber in their diets!

Replies

• 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat All Bran Buds; 1/3 cup is %51 of the RDA.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I don't reach my fibre goal (25g) every day. When I do, it's because I ate a lot of fruits and veggies and a Fibre 1 bar. Sometimes I can get there with popcorn and oatmeal.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husks are your friend! 4.5 gms/ tablespoon. You don't want to use a huge amount of this, but if you sprinkle a couple of tablespoons over various things you eat in the course of the day you can up your fiber significantly. Also be cautious about getting too much fiber if you start supplementing. Too much fiber can plug you up just as easily as too little fiber can.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Beans, high fiber bread, salads, veggies, fruit, and an occasional Fiber One bar for dessert.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of the bars - chicory root (inulin). Nasty side effects for me. The fiber additives in yogurt are the same.

Whole foods are a general rule.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-15/slideshow-high-fiber-foods

Fruits, veggies, beans, legumes, seeds, whole grains. I like to stir FiberOne (original) into my Greek yogurt. Oatmeal is great because it contains both soluble & insoluble fiber. My lunch & dinner has veggies (sometimes grain). Snacks are fruits or popcorn.

Don't increase fiber all at once. This could be really uncomfortable.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Beans and veggies. Whole grains as well. The problem with avocado is while it has a good amount of fiber, it is really calorie dense.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Lots of plant-based foods. Avocados are nice and all, but they are expensive in terms of calorie per gram of fiber (they have a lot of calories). If you are a few grams of fiber short but don't have many calories left, it's best to go for lower calorie vegetables. Endive, artichoke, cauliflower, eggplant, collards..etc are all high in fiber but low in calories.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I usually go over by 10 g or more (My goal is 38 g). Usually because I eat alot of bean, legumes, and vegetables. Another "trick" is I enjoy a bowl of fresh air popped popcorn most nights.

Basically when it comes down to it, you just have to figure out ways to get more vegetables and fruit in your diet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Vegetables for evey meal, 2-3 portions of fruit every day, often whole grains, some nuts and seeds.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I get about 50 grams a day usually. Beans, vegetables, high-fiber fruits (berries, pears, etc). If you're eating lots of vegetables, I think it would be hard not to hit your fiber goal.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Psyllium husks are your friend! 4.5 gms/ tablespoon. You don't want to use a huge amount of this, but if you sprinkle a couple of tablespoons over various things you eat in the course of the day you can up your fiber significantly. Also be cautious about getting too much fiber if you start supplementing. Too much fiber can plug you up just as easily as too little fiber can.

I tried these in pill form some years ago and it was an awful experience! I had taken 1/2 of the recommended dose, and had gone to the bathroom 5+times later that day. Needless to say I never tried them again.

I liked the fiber choice tablets. They were fruity/sweet and were a decent help on the days I needed a little extra. I seemed to get a lot more gas whenever I took these.

Now I pretty much just stick to plants for fiber. I don't even track green fibrous veggies (I eat a ton of baby spinach, and it's so low calorie that it doesn't really impact my diet).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    An apple a day (I love my pink ladies). Whole grain pasta/bread. Cereal bars with fiber/oats. Veggies. Beans.

I'm usually around 25g. It's enough to keep me regular.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1992fx3 wrote: »
    I eat All Bran Buds; 1/3 cup is %51 of the RDA.

Me too! I love it in place of granola in a fruit and yogurt parfait.

I also eat Fiber Gourmet pasta. http://www.fibergourmet.com/ClassicPastaHealthy.aspx

I add chia seeds and ground flax to many dishes, and eat a lot of vegetables and fruit.

Edit: and beans, I eat a lot of beans. So filling and nutrient packed for the calories!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I always seem to be over (which is good, IMO).

Beans when I have them are a star source. Otherwise, vegetables and fruits (some more than others), whole grains.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    C H I A S E E D S. I have them every morning, 2 tablespoons in a bottle of water (you can add mio flavor to avoid how bland it is). About 11g of fiber for 120 cals. Also low sodium black beans are a good one!

Remember too much fiber can have adverse effects, so find your balance :smile:
  • candie33
    candie33 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Does the chia seeds dissolve in the water?
  • Ashley083
    Ashley083 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I never seem to have a problem reaching my fiber intake... I agree with what others have said... lots of veggies, fruit, whole grains... I don't know what kind of bread you use, but I really like Ezekiel bread. It's organic, has no fillers, and is made from sprouted grains. It has about 4 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein, per slice. It's usually found in the freezer section of the grocery store, if interested.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Like others say, go with the veggies, fruit, and grains. Bonus: Besides the fiber, they help you get ample micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc.) !
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Eat beans & leafy greens every day. You can achieve this easily through soups - I add beans and kale to every soup I make!