Newbie - can someone look at my diet plan please

Options
Hey I'm new too this and just wanted a bit of advise on what I'm planning to diet on, hoping to loose a 14lbs or more of fat in 8 weeks.. Would love to gain some bigger glutes also!!
So here it is (any advice would be appreciated)

breakfast- 2 hard boiled eggs with spinach or ham omelette

Lunch- chicken or beef (whatever I eat the night before) with brocoli or Spinach (medium amount)

Dinner - same as lunch really, beef (mince, steak etc) or chicken breasts with brocoli and couliflower

Snacks- 6-8 walnuts a day and a handful of grapes

Protein shake - pre or post work out (whatever is best??)

I'm only planning on doing this diet for 2/3 weeks and having a cheat day on a Sunday ... After this I am hoping to bring in healthy carbs such as sweet potatoe pre or post workout and only on workout days

Can someone let me know if this is suitable or if I am eating too much? Thank you so much in advanced

Love Georgina xxxx

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The quantities you eat of these will determine the calories -- that will be a bigger factor in your weight loss than the specific foods you are eating.

When you log it, how many calories is it?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In addition to how many calories is it, how many carbs, fat, and protein? Except for the grapes it seems low carb, but the low carbers here are also high fat, and yours doesn't seem to be that.

If you're going to be at your goal weight after you lose 14 pounds, then doing it in 8 weeks means you will have to create a very large calorie deficit for your weight, which is a bad idea for several reasons. For example, under-eating can easily lead to burnout or binging.

Also, with rapid weight loss, you will lose muscle along with fat.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if that is a picture of you on your profile, I seriously doubt you will be able to lose almost 2 pounds a week eating that diet. As was said, set up your goals in MFP, log that meal plan, and see where you stand.

Also, getting bigger glutes doesn't tend to go with weight loss! You will need to lift weights.

Aside from that, the menu looks fairly healthy and nutritious.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Figure out your total daily calorie burn, put yourself in a 20% deficit and you will lose weight. I'd not cut out my carbs but have a decent mix of high protein/carb and low fat diet. No one can tell you from what you have posted that you can or cannot lose weight from it. You need to weigh everything and know how many calories you are taking in vs. burning.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the same thing every day, you'll lose your mind and almost certainly fail at your diet. Change it up every day, just stick to you MFP calorie goal and make sure you're getting enough protein, fiber, and veggies in and you'll be fine. It's less about what you're eating and more about calorie intake as a whole.
  • georginakirby94
    georginakirby94 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The quantities you eat of these will determine the calories -- that will be a bigger factor in your weight loss than the specific foods you are eating.

Thank you for replying so fast! I'm not sure how you reply to people so hope this is it
  • georginakirby94
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    if that is a picture of you on your profile, I seriously doubt you will be able to lose almost 2 pounds a week eating that diet. As was said, set up your goals in MFP, log that meal plan, and see where you stand.

Also, getting bigger glutes doesn't tend to go with weight loss! You will need to lift weights.

Do you doubt it because maybe I'm eating too much, I'm thinking about putting my meals on a side dish plate to limit portions!
    I do train legs and glutes 3 days a week on average I'm getting stronger but I feel I have too much fat around the thighs and my calves are 15 inches so pretty big for someone of my height :) thank you for replying
  • georginakirby94
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies not sure how you actually reply back individually without quoting it , or is that how you do it?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Do you doubt it because maybe I'm eating too much, I'm thinking about putting my meals on a side dish plate to limit portions!
    I do train legs and glutes 3 days a week on average I'm getting stronger but I feel I have too much fat around the thighs and my calves are 15 inches so pretty big for someone of my height :) thank you for replying

No he means that hypertrophy takes effort and appropriate diet, generally eating in surplus

And while it is not impossible to gain muscle in defecit it is very tricky, more so for a woman

When you say train legs and glutes you need to be incorporating progressive resistance, easiest with weights for many but not the only ways

You can get stronger without gaining muscle because of neuromuscular adaptation, particularly in noobs

That said to lose weight you need to eat at a defecit ...you may get to it by guessing calories, or you may need to start weighing and counting

And dependent on how much you weigh determines how quickly you should lose ..aim for 1% per week
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This^

The number of calories is the most important thing. The percentages of protein, fat & carbs are choices you make for health and sustaining a diet long term. There are people who eat high fat and lose, there are people who eat high carb and lose.....and everything in between.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Make you you are using a food scale to ensure you are logging correctly. Eyeballing it is a rookie mistake
  • georginakirby94
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

No he means that hypertrophy takes effort and appropriate diet, generally eating in surplus

And while it is not impossible to gain muscle in defecit it is very tricky, more so for a woman

When you say train legs and glutes you need to be incorporating progressive resistance, easiest with weights for many but not the only ways

You can get stronger without gaining muscle because of neuromuscular adaptation, particularly in noobs

That said to lose weight you need to eat at a defecit ...you may get to it by guessing calories, or you may need to start weighing and counting

And dependent on how much you weigh determines how quickly you should lose ..aim for 1% per week

Thank you!! in regards to what you say about training glutes, I'm not 100% what some
    Of the words you use mean!
  • georginakirby94
    Options
    I did write a hell of a lot more in the post above but for some reason isn't showing :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

How tall are you? I'm 5'6" and my 18 calves laugh at your 15" calves ;)
  • georginakirby94
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @kshama2001 I'm just hitting 5ft3
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

I don't KNOW if you are eating too much because I don't know your stats to figure out how much you need or the portions you plan to eat. What I do know 2lbs a week is a 1000 calorie deficit. Unless you are very overweight, which you don't appear to be if that is you in the photo, that is difficult to do.

In addition, getting bigger glutes requires eating more than you need, so that is counterproductive to your fat loss goals.
  • georginakirby94
    Options
    @GauchoMark oh ok I think I understand a bit now, I think I rushed into posting the post without giving it proper thought- I'm down to 10st 2 so I should be able to do 2lbs a week if I put the effort it !

And eat more than I need too :O maybe I should concentrate on fat loss first thehn
    Thanks again
  • georginakirby94
    Options
    @kshama2001 in just hitting 5ft3
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

^^^ I second all of this. I'd try setting the loss scale to .5 or 1 lb. a week because those results tend to stick a little more, whereas unless you have 50+ lbs. to lose and set it to "2 lb x week loss" you'll most likely regress as soon as you go back to maintenance eating. Your diet seems incredible, lots of healthy, clean foods and protein. That's important. However, as the quoted poster said, glute growth and weight loss do not go hand-in-hand. I suggest lifting. Lift heavy. Eat at maintenance level and continue with the high protein, clean food diet. Lifting heavy will build muscle and in turn, burn more fat!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Also, originally when I started my fitness journey my goals were very similar to yours. I wanted to lose "fat" (basically lose the stomach pudge and overall "fluffiness") and get bigger glutes and more definition throughout my body. My first attempt was basically what you are doing - eat at a massive deficit and do tons of cardio. Was I successful? Yeah, at getting terribly skinny and hangry...all the time. I was miserable. At the time I weighed 106 lbs. Then I discovered lifting, upped my calorie intake slightly, switched my diet to contain more protein and ditched the cardio (went from 60-minutes per day to 15 to 20-minutes per day). I am now significantly stronger, more defined with bigger glutes and way less fat. Lifting rocks.

P.S.

Before: 1,000 calories x day = 106 lbs. and flabby (26% BF)
    Now: 1,500 calories x day = 108 lbs. and toned (20% BF)