georginakirby94 Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @peaceout_aly thank you for your advice!! will
    Defo try lifting heavy more then!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @GauchoMark oh ok I think I understand a bit now, I think I rushed into posting the post without giving it proper thought- I'm down to 10st 2 so I should be able to do 2lbs a week if I put the effort it !

And eat more than I need too :O maybe I should concentrate on fat loss first thehn
    Thanks again

At 142 pounds and 5'3", two pounds a week is an overly aggressive weight loss goal.

What's your goal weight?
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @GauchoMark oh ok I think I understand a bit now, I think I rushed into posting the post without giving it proper thought- I'm down to 10st 2 so I should be able to do 2lbs a week if I put the effort it !

And eat more than I need too :O maybe I should concentrate on fat loss first thehn
    Thanks again

I think you are missing the point. If you have less than 20 lbs to lose total, you should be setting your goal to .5 lb per week. It doesn't matter how much weight you have already lost. Even people with 100 lbs to lose change their weekly goal to more reasonable numbers as they get closer to their goal weight. To try to lose 2 lbs in one week at your size is too aggressive and will likely not work. You will lose lean muscle in the process, which counters your goal for bigger glutes.

Also, it does not matter WHAT you eat. You can say you're only going to eat eggs and boiled chicken (example), but if you consume more eggs and boiled chicken than you burn, you will not lose weight. If you don't already have a good scale, buy one. Weigh everything you eat and log it here. If a super restrictive diet works for you for the long run, then great. I could never sustain that. I'll continue to balance my diet with yummy foods and the occasional sweets and still lose weight over here.
  • synthiame
    synthiame Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is the Low carb High fat a good idea?
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Thanks again

No. At 142lbs and 5'3, you should at max be aiming for 1lb per week loss, likely half a pound. Eating a small enough amount to lose 2lbs a week steadily will lead your body to using muscle for fuel (yep, those glutes too) and to stop sending nutrition to non-essential functions such as hair and nail production, reproductive functions, skin health. Just set up your calorie goals in mfp using your honest information. Eat what it tells you too for 6 weeks. Weigh your foods, measure your liquids, choose sane entries from the data base. Losing weight does not need to be punitive.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    synthiame wrote: »

It's one of many ways to achieve a calorie deficit. Some people swear by it; others hate it. See http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10413364/dont-go-low-carb/p1
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I eat all foods in moderation. But then I don't have any medical issues. Only you can determine if low carb is a good strategy: will it help you stay on track, is it the type of food you like. Do you have medical issues. Will moderating carbs be more of a lifestyle change ... or do you see yourself returning to "normal" after you get to goal. My "normal" = overweight.

Weight loss is all about calories. Macros (protein, fat, carbs) are about health, sticking to it, and satiety
  • spinderellaj
    spinderellaj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi chickie - I'm 5'3, 129lbs looking to get to 118ish by Christmas. I'm thinking I can do this with 1400 calories a day and three days of cardio-esque exercises plus weights. THAT for me is do-able. I've lost weight before quickly by severely restricting calories and felt constant fear of gaining it all back. Which I did.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Thanks again

Yeah... You've totally misunderstood both of my posts. Maybe it's my southern accent!
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

For some people it is. I have PCOS and do better with low carb.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Thanks again

You're only 63kgs (138lbs), there is no way no how you are going to lose 2lbs a week! OP adjust your expectations.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    if that is a picture of you on your profile, I seriously doubt you will be able to lose almost 2 pounds a week eating that diet. As was said, set up your goals in MFP, log that meal plan, and see where you stand.

Also, getting bigger glutes doesn't tend to go with weight loss! You will need to lift weights.

Aside from that, the menu looks fairly healthy and nutritious.

Do you doubt it because maybe I'm eating too much, I'm thinking about putting my meals on a side dish plate to limit portions!
    I do train legs and glutes 3 days a week on average I'm getting stronger but I feel I have too much fat around the thighs and my calves are 15 inches so pretty big for someone of my height :) thank you for replying

No he means that hypertrophy (gaining muscle) takes effort and appropriate diet, generally eating in surplus

And while it is not impossible to gain muscle in defecit (eating fewer calories than you burn) it is very tricky, more so for a woman

When you say train legs and glutes you need to be incorporating progressive resistance (each week you increase weights, or intensity, or reps etc it's about progressing and overloading the muscles to force them to repair and grow), easiest with weights for many but not the only ways

You can get stronger without gaining muscle because of neuromuscular adaptation (your brain/body gets better at the signals so more efficient and you are stronger without increased mass), particularly in noobs

That said to lose weight you need to eat at a defecit ...you may get to it by guessing calories, or you may need to start weighing and counting

And dependent on how much you weigh determines how quickly you should lose ..aim for 1% per week

Sorry ...does this make more sense

Books
    Strong Curves - Brett Contreras (he's the glute guy)
    New Rules of Lifting for Women/Stronger

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

If you can't bring yourself to do free weights yet then do a decent bodyweight programme
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • georginakirby94
    georginakirby94 Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @spinderellaj hey! I know how you feel I done the exact same but I went put on all the weight and even more than before!! yes you can do this :) what are your diet plans xx
  • spinderellaj
    spinderellaj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @spinderellaj hey! I know how you feel I done the exact same but I went put on all the weight and even more than before!! yes you can do this :) what are your diet plans xx

Hey lady, I'm pretty much just trying to stick to 1400 net and see what happens from there.