Emotional Eaters and Food Addictions Area

Options
This area is for those of us who are emotional eaters and suffer with food addiction. If none of this applies, please stop here. Later I will share my story but I thought maybe some others would like to go first.

Replies

• txfyreflye
    txfyreflye Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In complete honestly, I'm pretty sure we all are - to different extents!
    I'm a PT, I'm also qualified in sports nutrition and guess what - I'f I'm feeling down or having a bad day, I still feel like hitting Dominos pizza with a vengeance of a thousand hungry Guinea Pigs!

I think it's about pulling yourself around when you get into that mind frame and finding foods that leave you feeling more satisfied!

All the best!

Thanks!
    Have you been a PT long?
    Food addictions are a little more difficult than a craving. Maybe you can help someone who is a food addict, if ever you come across one (not on here- I mean in the course of your training people). Here's some info:

http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/are-you-food-addict

For those who think they could be a food addict:

https://authoritynutrition.com/8-symptoms-of-food-addiction/

A simple run down of symptoms.

#7 on that list has been a problem for me. I would hide food in my closet or wherever and go sneak the food.

http://www.doctoroz.com/quiz/quiz-are-you-food-addict
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I did that too but I wasn't a food addict. I was an anorexic (binge/purge subtype). Yup even anorexics binge and purge and I mean massively binge.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    txfyreflye wrote: »
    I'm a PT, I'm also qualified in sports nutrition and guess what - I'f I'm feeling down or having a bad day, I still feel like hitting Dominos pizza with a vengeance of a thousand hungry Guinea Pigs!

I think it's about pulling yourself around when you get into that mind frame and finding foods that leave you feeling more satisfied!

All the best!

Thanks!
    Have you been a PT long?
    Food addictions are a little more difficult than a craving. Maybe you can help someone who is a food addict, if ever you come across one (not on here- I mean in the course of your training people). Here's some info:

#7 on that list has been a problem for me. I would hide food in my closet or wherever and go sneak the food.

Although I understand generally where you're coming from with what you're saying -
    There isn't actually very much difference between food addiction and food craving, the only difference being the extent and self control.

When you consume something you enjoy, it releases certain hormones within your system - these hormones are no different between the people that are addicted than they are the people that simply crave something.

The difference being that some people take the release as a way to combat stress.

As a PT I'm more of a rigorous PT, I generally work with people that are trying to get into the armed forces or the police/fire brigade, etc :)

Nutrition is a difficult subject because 'addiction' is subjective.
  • elaineously
    elaineously Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know I am a food addict and it has been a life long thing. Just accepting that has helped me feel better and less uptight about the whole food/ weight issue. I also have discovered (like the poster said above) that there are certain foods to not have in my house because I can't always control my portions with them.

I'm trying to be kinder to myself when I don't always stick to a healthy diet and just try to do better the next day.

Good luck to everyone else who is struggling with this issue.
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    I know I am a food addict and it has been a life long thing. Just accepting that has helped me feel better and less uptight about the whole food/ weight issue. I also have discovered (like the poster said above) that there are certain foods to not have in my house because I can't always control my portions with them.

I'm trying to be kinder to myself when I don't always stick to a healthy diet and just try to do better the next day.

Thanks so much for your input.

I still beat myself up over things. I am also an emotional eater. When I get upset, instead of a good cry, I grab comfort food (today's was pizza). But on the up side, it was only 2 slices instead of four. So that was encouraging.

Do you find yourself getting others to go get things for you? And are they all too willing to do it?
  • AdamAthletic
    Options

All the best to you!
    The most important thing is being kind to yourself, it's important to be healthy both physically and mentally!

You got this!!!
  • txfyreflye
    Options

All the best!

Thanks!
    Have you been a PT long?

Although I understand generally where you're coming from with what you're saying -
    There isn't actually very much difference between food addiction and food craving, the only difference being the extent and self control.

When you consume something you enjoy, it releases certain hormones within your system - these hormones are no different between the people that are addicted than they are the people that simply crave something.

The difference being that some people take the release as a way to combat stress.

As a PT I'm more of a rigorous PT, I generally work with people that are trying to get into the armed forces or the police/fire brigade, etc :)

First, let me thank you for your service. Many people don't realize that there's someone who trains our police and military etc. You're doing a remarkable service to our communities and country.

I see what you're saying, yes. I actually get shakes and sweats (anxiety) when i can't have what I crave. I thought, for a long time, that there was something truly wrong in my noggin. Until I met up with a really good doctor who explained how, like any other addiction, food addiction is emotional,mental and physical. Once we got the diabetes out of the way, things simmered down but not totally gone.

So, whats your advice for people who come under a lot of life stress if they can't eat and aren't in good enough shape to do a hard core work out?
  • AdamAthletic
    Options

All the best!

Thanks!
    Have you been a PT long?

First, let me thank you for your service. Many people don't realize that there's someone who trains our police and military etc. You're doing a remarkable service to our communities and country.

I see what you're saying, yes. I actually get shakes and sweats (anxiety) when i can't have what I crave. I thought, for a long time, that there was something truly wrong in my noggin. Until I met up with a really good doctor who explained how, like any other addiction, food addiction is emotional,mental and physical. Once we got the diabetes out of the way, things simmered down but not totally gone.

So, whats your advice for people who come under a lot of life stress if they can't eat and aren't in good enough shape to do a hard core work out?

If I could have any other job in the world, I still wouldn't change it. It's something I love and it great knowing that something good comes of it!

What you're saying isn't wrong, your doctor is obviously not 'wrong' but addiction comes in many forms.
    You're not addicted to the 'food', simply the feeling after the release of said hormone.

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination claiming its any 'easier' because of that, I'm simply stating that because of the nature of the 'addiction' - it can be shifted to another direction (exercise, etc).

As for vigorous workouts, a vigorous workout isn't set in stone. It's whatever is achievable and manageable safely to you.
    That could easily be lite exercise, taking in views places - when you get a craving, it's changing habits.

I'd also suggest being sure to maintain hydration, a lack of adequate hydration can bring on 'cravings'.
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    Thank you so much! Yes, he did mention the release of a particular hormone that, when one gets the food they desire, is released and makes you feel better. I drink a lot of water. I have a 32 ounce chill mug that goes just about everywhere with me.

Trying to figure out what I could do that would fill in those spots. I spend a lot of time at the computer because I monitor an online safety watch as a volunteer. It's not much but at least it keeps people from hurting others.

I've thought about yoga. What do you think? Does it help with toning like they say?
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    Okay just trying this out:

118294648.png
  • AdamAthletic
    Options
    Thank you so much! Yes, he did mention the release of a particular hormone that, when one gets the food they desire, is released and makes you feel better. I drink a lot of water. I have a 32 ounce chill mug that goes just about everywhere with me.

Trying to figure out what I could do that would fill in those spots. I spend a lot of time at the computer because I monitor an online safety watch as a volunteer. It's not much but at least it keeps people from hurting others.

I've thought about yoga. What do you think? Does it help with toning like they say?

There's nothing wrong with Yoga and some people get a great release from it!
    Definitely worth giving a try!

Anything that works different muscular areas of your body can increase tone - yoga works pretty much every different area, if done correctly and instructed by someone that's experienced!

Feel free to drop me a friends request, I'm always more than happy to offer advice where I can!
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm not sure how to do the friends request thing. But I'll find out and add you in.!
  • AdamAthletic
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm not sure how to do the friends request thing. But I'll find out and add you in.!

I've sent you a request :)
    Click to your MFP dashboard and you should see one new friends request pop up! :)
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    okee dokee! lol I just sent you one too!
  • Crystal_Can
    Crystal_Can Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I believe I have issues with food. I've been overweight since around third grade and I'm 35 now. Been on every diet. Lose some weight, gain it back. Get into the all or nothing thinking. Sweets are a big problem for me. My mouth will water around it and I will try to say no but often give in and then eat much more than I should or intended. I think there must be some underlying issue that I'm not dealing with, so I just stuff down the feelings with food. I seriously feel more calm and almost high when I pig out on sweets, but then its followed by self loathing, guilt and shame....and how do I get rid of those feelings? Eat some more! Definitely the definition of addiction! I want to be sexy and healthy and happy, but I keep going through this vicious cycle. I want to exit this cycle of addiction permanently.
  • Lipstick_chick1960
    Options
    How do i become a member of this particular group and follow discussions.
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    How do i become a member of this particular group and follow discussions.

I think you just participate on the forum here. Welcome! :)
  • txfyreflye
    Options
    I believe I have issues with food. I've been overweight since around third grade and I'm 35 now. Been on every diet. Lose some weight, gain it back. Get into the all or nothing thinking. Sweets are a big problem for me. My mouth will water around it and I will try to say no but often give in and then eat much more than I should or intended. I think there must be some underlying issue that I'm not dealing with, so I just stuff down the feelings with food. I seriously feel more calm and almost high when I pig out on sweets, but then its followed by self loathing, guilt and shame....and how do I get rid of those feelings? Eat some more! Definitely the definition of addiction! I want to be sexy and healthy and happy, but I keep going through this vicious cycle. I want to exit this cycle of addiction permanently.

Hi Crystal.
    First, let me say that I am very proud to know you already. You're open and honest about something that is pretty much hidden in our society.

I am not an eating disorders expert. But I have lived, and still struggle with, the exact same thing you're describing.

A gentleman mentioned a hormone. I couldn't recall the name at the time, but it's called Ghrelin but in all honesty, from all I've read, the jury is still out on this issue. One thing we do know- insulin plays a major role in weight loss, especially for those who are undiagnosed diabetics or who are insulin reliant (type 2) diabetic. Has your doctor mentioned either of those?

My obesity began when I went into puberty. At least in terms of physiological. The psychological was far different. I had been systemically abused off and on for years. If the abuse wasn't sexual, it was physical and emotional. I believe (though I cannot prove) that this had a lot to do with the desire for food. My only really good childhood memories circulate around food. Food was my closest friend. As a young child I could run it off. Teen years hit, hormones went bonkers, and wham! Big girl bouncing!

And the abuse stopped.

That may be more than some think I should put out there, but I think it played a role.

The cycle I well understand. All I can say is try to applaud yourself (and see it from others) when you do overcome the eating cycle. Yesterday I was so depressed and deflated from events that I actually ate pepperoni pizza and some bacon/cheese bites. A few years ago it would've been the whole pizza- or at least half- and all of the bites. Yesterday it was 2 slices and 1/3 of the bites.

*pat on back*

Keep pluggin, gal! You're in my prayers!