Can't seem to make my goal

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Tons of suggestions here, I would add in any of these that sounds best for you. But if you are trying to lose weight, and your body doesn't feel hungry, there is no need to force feed yourself. Others maybe disagree and say you are absolutely required to hit a certain calorie goal, but when I am trying to lose weight I typically listen to my body and if I'm satisfied I let it be. I figure once the weekend rolls around I'll probably make up for it by enjoying myself when I'm going out to eat.

I would listen to anything and everything your body has to say.

and what is your body saying?

It's saying "Hi, you look like an accomplished fitness instructor and I would like you to teach me how to slim down and tone up and maybe, you know, if there's time, wrestle a little bit".
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I totally know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I think it's good advice, so please just stick with me.

You're talking about 1825 and having problems hitting your cals when you eat vegg. I'm NOT going to advocate that you cut out the vegg because that stuff has all the micronutrients that your body requires to function properly.

But the way MFP is set up is that you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories. You're probably finding problems because you've been doing all this weightlifting and other stuff. If you don't do the exercise MFP won't keep raising your calorie goal. No one ever got fat from eating too little am I right LOL?

So just think about scaling back your exercise, keep eating everything you're currently eating, and then eat a few vegetables. That, plus not exercising, and I think you'll really start seeing results of some kind.

Hmm. I guess this kind of makes sense. I workout, it raises the goal. If I don't work out, the goal stays the same.

No. No. No.

The point of exercise especially weight lifting, contrary to popular MFP belief, is NOT to lose weight or be able to eat more. There are so many health benefits of working out vs. simply just eating less.

This suggestion is just... absurd.
    Well here's what I'm thinking. I started with New Rules for Women and that book gives you a meal plan and tells you to eat more on lift days, and then tells you how much more to eat, which is how i got 1825. So on lift days I add the extra calories the book suggested. But maybe I shouldn't eat those calories after all.

Edit: Oh, but then I might not be able to make my 137g of protein for lifting days. :frown:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Tons of suggestions here, I would add in any of these that sounds best for you. But if you are trying to lose weight, and your body doesn't feel hungry, there is no need to force feed yourself. Others maybe disagree and say you are absolutely required to hit a certain calorie goal, but when I am trying to lose weight I typically listen to my body and if I'm satisfied I let it be. I figure once the weekend rolls around I'll probably make up for it by enjoying myself when I'm going out to eat.

If I listened to anything and everything my body says I would be gorging on pizza while having sex, constantly.
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making this thread, OP! I'm also having a lot of trouble meeting my calorie goal every day, and it's set pretty low. It's 11:30PM And I still need to eat about 400 calories. It's definitely not going to happen today, as I'm still stuffed from dinner. :frown:

I bought a bunch of nuts today and am definitely going to incorporate them into my diet to up my intake. Thanks to everyone here for the suggestions! :flowerforyou:
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

Nothing wrong with 1800 calories, but if you ate 1500 and you're not hungry, why force yourself? Your nutritional needs are being met and she feels satisfied. I know that it happens to myself sometimes as well but I surely make up for it on the weekends.

Please keep exercising though, not sure why not exercising would be a good idea. Maybe I can see less cardio if she is doing 60 minutes a day, but resistance training is great! I lift 4x a week and just do 20-30 minutes of cardio. Either way I don't think stopping all physical activity is the best idea.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    cutting back exercise so you dont have to eat as much?

this might be the most ridiculous advice I've heard in a while...
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

It's saying "Hi, you look like an accomplished fitness instructor and I would like you to teach me how to slim down and tone up and maybe, you know, if there's time, wrestle a little bit".

Wrestling is a good idea...

It would allow you to increase your calories for the day, which you should always do when exercising. Do you have an HRM?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with 1800 calories, but if you ate 1500 and you're not hungry, why force yourself? Your nutritional needs are being met and she feels satisfied. I know that it happens to myself sometimes as well but I surely make up for it on the weekends.

Please keep exercising though, not sure why not exercising would be a good idea. Maybe I can see less cardio if she is doing 60 minutes a day, but resistance training is great! I lift 4x a week and just do 20-30 minutes of cardio. Either way I don't think stopping all physical activity is the best idea.

If she was making up those calories on the weekend, thus keeping her weekly calorie goal in line, I would agree with you.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

I really don't like to argue on the internet, but I really feel compelled to defend my advice.

The OP is tracking calories and exercising. She knows what she's doing. Like all of us, she got here from eating too much. No one gains weight from eating too little. That's a fact. So if she can't manage to have a healthy diet, and she is over calories every day no matter what she does, and she's already eating balanced macronutrients, then something has to give.

Just saying "oh eat less food" sounds great on paper but if that was the solution then we would all be anorexic. I'm not saying that she should become bedridden - - that would be ridiculous. But saying to scale back the exercise so she can eat enough healthy green leafy vegetables is a completely reasonable thing to say.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Find some other calorie dense snacks like nuts, cheese, nut butter, coconut oil, ice cream. Easy ways to pack in calories after you've hit your macros... or to help you hit your macros.

QFT
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a "problem" I would like to have. I have been getting steroid injections for the past few months and have
    put back on 6-7 lbs.
    Just eat like me; binge on crap. Not very nice to your body
    but I figure this med will wear off within a few months.
    Joan Rivers said "you can never be too rich or too thin." I tend to agree unless
    you are anorexic or a creator of facebook or something extreme. Being thin
    is healthy for you. I was told by a doctor when I was a teenager that I was "fat" at 127 lbs and
    I needed to be around 112 or least under 118 and I am 5'4".
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I really don't like to argue on the internet, but I really feel compelled to defend my advice.

The OP is tracking calories and exercising. She knows what she's doing. Like all of us, she got here from eating too much. No one gains weight from eating too little. That's a fact. So if she can't manage to have a healthy diet, and she is over calories every day no matter what she does, and she's already eating balanced macronutrients, then something has to give.

Just saying "oh eat less food" sounds great on paper but if that was the solution then we would all be anorexic. I'm not saying that she should become bedridden - - that would be ridiculous. But saying to scale back the exercise so she can eat enough healthy green leafy vegetables is a completely reasonable thing to say.

There is some happy medium between not working out as much (I don't think her existing activity level is unreasonable at all) and being able to have a balanced diet but consistently undereating for her existing activity level.

That happy medium is ice cream.

Or butter.

:drinker:
  • Achrya
    Options

If she was making up those calories on the weekend, thus keeping her weekly calorie goal in line, I would agree with you.

I don't eat that much on the weekends, because I lift Monday-Wednesday-Friday. I don't do much Saturday and Sunday, so I don't eat as much.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I totally know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I think it's good advice, so please just stick with me.

You're talking about 1825 and having problems hitting your cals when you eat vegg. I'm NOT going to advocate that you cut out the vegg because that stuff has all the micronutrients that your body requires to function properly.

But the way MFP is set up is that you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories. You're probably finding problems because you've been doing all this weightlifting and other stuff. If you don't do the exercise MFP won't keep raising your calorie goal. No one ever got fat from eating too little am I right LOL?

So just think about scaling back your exercise, keep eating everything you're currently eating, and then eat a few vegetables. That, plus not exercising, and I think you'll really start seeing results of some kind.

Hmm. I guess this kind of makes sense. I workout, it raises the goal. If I don't work out, the goal stays the same.

No. No. No.

The point of exercise especially weight lifting, contrary to popular MFP belief, is NOT to lose weight or be able to eat more. There are so many health benefits of working out vs. simply just eating less.

Well here's what I'm thinking. I started with New Rules for Women and that book gives you a meal plan and tells you to eat more on lift days, and then tells you how much more to eat, which is how i got 1825. So on lift days I add the extra calories the book suggested. But maybe I shouldn't eat those calories after all.

Edit: Oh, but then I might not be able to make my 137g of protein for lifting days. :frown:

On lift days Do you typically eat a more carb loaded meal pre- workout and then a protein/carb meal post workout? This is probably where I would try to sneak in some extra calories. If you don't have enough carbs in your system prior to lifting you might not have all the energy you need since weight lifting uses all carbs. Then after I train my carbs are completely depleted
    so right after I train I have another meal of carbs and protein like salmon and wild rice. I am also naturally just hungrier on those days. Do you feel like the days you lift you have more of an appetite?

Also if you are trying to make 137g of protein, yum yum cheese again, full of calories and protein. I eat a ball of Burrata cheese over arugula and sliced peaches, nectarines, cantaloupe, or figs ect, drizzled with balsamic reduction. Its probably a good 500-600 calorie snack.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Sounds like a "problem" I would like to have. I have been getting steroid injections for the past few months and have
    put back on 6-7 lbs.
    Joan Rivers said "you can never be too rich or too thin." I tend to agree unless
    is healthy for you. I was told by a doctor when I was a teenager that I was "fat" at 127 lbs and

Well binging is bad, but I'm not sure being overly full is good either. I've only had 1122 calories today and it's 7pm my time.
  • Achrya
    Options

No. No. No.

On lift days Do you typically eat a more carb loaded meal pre- workout and then a protein/carb meal post workout? This is probably where I would try to sneak in some extra calories. If you don't have enough carbs in your system prior to lifting you might not have all the energy you need since weight lifting uses all carbs. Then after I train my carbs are completely depleted
    so right after I train I have another meal of carbs and protein like salmon and wild rice. I am also naturally just hungrier on those days. Do you feel like the days you lift you have more of an appetite?

Also if you are trying to make 137g of protein, yum yum cheese again, full of calories and protein. I eat a ball of Burrata cheese over arugula and sliced peaches, nectarines, cantaloupe, or figs ect, drizzled with balsamic reduction. Its probably a good 500-600 calorie snack.

Well I had a protein shake before my lift today and then I had chicken&Spinach curry with udon noodles after. Then I had 2 cups of broccoli, then pasta with ground turkey and a slice of Texas toast.

This has me just under 1200, which I know is bad to be under. I see people saying it all the time here.

I don't even normally lift on Sunday but I was traveling Wednesday and it's got me all out of sync. I hate when that happens.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    put back on 6-7 lbs.

Well binging is bad, but I'm not sure being overly full is good either. I've only had 1122 calories today and it's 7pm my time.

wow thats really low, do you mind if I look at your diary? There could be something you can easily add in like adding nuts to your oatmeal.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

No. No. No.

Well I had a protein shake before my lift today and then I had chicken&Spinach curry with udon noodles after. Then I had 2 cups of broccoli, then pasta with ground turkey and a slice of Texas toast.

This has me just under 1200, which I know is bad to be under. I see people saying it all the time here.

How about instead of a protein shake, a nice breakfast like steel cut oats with banana's, walnuts and honey...or a veggies omelette with cheese and potatoes, or a bowl of kashi go lean crunch with milk?

And how about an after dinner desert, are you eating enough fruit? Maybe a scoop of ice cream with fresh strawberries
  • Achrya
    Options

No. No. No.

How about instead of a protein shake, a nice breakfast like steel cut oats with banana's, walnuts and honey...or a veggies omelette with cheese and potatoes, or a bowl of kashi go lean crunch with milk?

And how about an after dinner desert, are you eating enough fruit? Maybe a scoop of ice cream with fresh strawberries

This seems pretty reasonable. Next lift day I'll have oatmeal or cream of wheat or something like that. I just don't usually eat in the morning if I'm gonna be working out; it upsets my stomach. But I can give it a try.

And I'll try to eat something else tonight. I made some cupcakes for friends, maybe I'll actually have one.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    But what about carrot cake? Does it count as veg or grain?

Are you trying to tell me to eat cake? Because I imagine the carrot content in carrot cake is very low.

Shame on you.

I am thinking the carrot content in carrot cake is not much more than the coffee content in coffee cake :)