Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does the media put pressure on your body image and should there be laws to stop this?

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do they put pressure in general on body image? Yes. Do they put pressure specifically on me about body image? I don't feel that way. Should it be outlawed in some way....definitely not, that would be a horrible precedent for censorship to set...that we can outlaw media from presenting things if the majority of the culture thinks its inappropriate. Media should not be restricted to majority opinion.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    We will soon see the health consequences of ignoring health for the sake of feelings.

I see no evidence that anyone is actually ignoring health for the sake of feelings. Doctors still (properly) identify obesity/overweight as a health concern, and the government has had an ongoing effort to educate the public in eating less and moving more. I think people are more aware than being overweight is a health issue than when I was a kid (and far fewer people were overweight).

On the other hand, both then and now (at least in the circles I'm in) health is only a small part of why people don't want to be fat -- it's considered far preferable and more attractive to be thin (and I'm not objecting to this, I agree, which is why my preferred weight isn't simply within the healthy zone, but more like BMI 20-21, where I think I look better). That many people are overweight isn't because they no longer think being thin is preferable, at least not in the society I live in, it's because the environment makes it harder and they haven't adjusted/figured out how to stay a healthy weight despite this yet or simply because humans don't always choose long-term health or even other positive things when making a tradeoff.

I'm honestly not sure which is worse: preferences that induce horrible consequences, or ignorance in a time when the free flow of information has never been more available to the masses.

Whatever one is worse, I think it's got to be preferences. Well, for the truly obese I think it's often more complicated -- not obesity being preferred or not knowing obesity is unhealthy, but not understanding that losing weight isn't all that hard and doesn't require a complete sacrifice.
  • erica8787
    erica8787 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    At times, I feel pressure to maintain or achieve a certain body image, but then I make my own decisions. I don't think there should be laws to censor media communication. (Research North Korea). I know that's a stretch but like somebody else mentioned- it's a slippery slope.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    We will soon see the health consequences of ignoring health for the sake of feelings.

I see no evidence that anyone is actually ignoring health for the sake of feelings. Doctors still (properly) identify obesity/overweight as a health concern, and the government has had an ongoing effort to educate the public in eating less and moving more. I think people are more aware than being overweight is a health issue than when I was a kid (and far fewer people were overweight).

On the other hand, both then and now (at least in the circles I'm in) health is only a small part of why people don't want to be fat -- it's considered far preferable and more attractive to be thin (and I'm not objecting to this, I agree, which is why my preferred weight isn't simply within the healthy zone, but more like BMI 20-21, where I think I look better). That many people are overweight isn't because they no longer think being thin is preferable, at least not in the society I live in, it's because the environment makes it harder and they haven't adjusted/figured out how to stay a healthy weight despite this yet or simply because humans don't always choose long-term health or even other positive things when making a tradeoff.

I'm honestly not sure which is worse: preferences that induce horrible consequences, or ignorance in a time when the free flow of information has never been more available to the masses.

There is MORE information available for sure. Now the accuracy of that information... well, just look at these forums or the popularity of folks like Food Bad and David "Avocado" Wolfe.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

There is MORE information available for sure. Now the accuracy of that information... well, just look at these forums or the popularity of folks like Food Bad and David "Avocado" Wolfe.

That's true, but as I have said many times, I am not the smartest person in the world, and even I have managed to sort out most of the crap from the useful.

I tend to catch a lot of *kitten* on these forums because I push optimal and not "good enough for sedentary housewives". Believe me, if I can read studies, read work from reputable experts, and shuffle in the "broscience" that actually works in between, anyone who isn't completely mentally deficient should be capable of doing the same. I know, I know...effort.
  • MichaelKarnes
    MichaelKarnes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No and no.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Change the channel. Your choice. You create your life.

Or, don't have a tv like we don't ;) We keep media type stuff to a minimum-a couple Redbox movies a month and that's about it. Much rather be hanging out here or gaming :) Heck, I don't even do social media like FB/twitter etc.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

That's true, but as I have said many times, I am not the smartest person in the world, and even I have managed to sort out most of the crap from the useful.

I tend to catch a lot of *kitten* on these forums because I push optimal and not "good enough for sedentary housewives". Believe me, if I can read studies, read work from reputable experts, and shuffle in the "broscience" that actually works in between, anyone who isn't completely mentally deficient should be capable of doing the same. I know, I know...effort.

In my opinion, nothing wrong with pushing optimal, fact of the matter most people will not get there, but much better than pursuing good enough for sedentary housewives and not getting there. Need to keep the bar high.

Quote from, I believe Vince Lombardi, "perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we catch excellence".
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    What do you think?

I choose the media I consume. If I don't subscribe to it, open it, listen to it then it isn't really in my face that much so I don't feel pressured.
    I think diversity in media is important. The "media" should want to show all kinds of people of different ages, sizes, ethnicities, gender identities, abilities. I don't think that can be legislated. Media is a business. The consumers should demand it and support those who are diverse.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

You get a lot of *kitten* because you are really condescending and rude. Not because you're encouraging high-performance. Everyone does NOT need "optimal" performance. Most people don't need "optimal". Most people actually just need to be generally healthy and have a good life, not be a slave to the gym. Oh, wait, is calling you a "slave to the gym" condescending? Not any more condescending than saying "sedentary housewives" is.

@Gallowmere1984 has by his own admission a self loathing of when he was overweight which he has transferred bit to others as well as admitted his maturity is developing more in that area. I have a family member who was obese most of her life. She is now very thin and she developed a very mean spirit re her overweight friends even making jokes so its not uncommon.

I'm not here to defend him because I believe he can do that pretty well:). But I do think that he's coming around a bit. I have noticed a change already in his terminology of describing overweight/obese folks already. If he ever plans to train he will learn really really quickly to have a bit more compassion for folks.

I believe there is a fine line between helping people find their accountability and being mean. Sometimes we all step over that line me thinks:).

ETA- since its hard to interpret printed word I mean this is a very light spirited tone:).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

You get a lot of *kitten* because you are really condescending and rude. Not because you're encouraging high-performance. Everyone does NOT need "optimal" performance. Most people don't need "optimal". Most people actually just need to be generally healthy and have a good life, not be a slave to the gym. Oh, wait, is calling you a "slave to the gym" condescending? Not any more condescending than saying "sedentary housewives" is.

What can I say? I have precisely zero issues if that's the perception of me.

I'll stop being rude and condescending, when people stop arguing with me that inefficient and minimal effort should be acceptable ways of doing things. Last time I checked, I'm not the one struggling with things I set out to accomplish.

Also, if you hadn't noticed I am rarely (if ever) the aggressor in most of the interactions that turn kinda bleh. But yes, I should just kick back and absorb the whiney excuses that get made on behalf of the person I may be addressing: especially when said excuses aren't even made by that person, but by some random that I wasn't even talking to, hmm?

I can count on fingers and toes, the number of people on this board who have shown enough experience and knowledge for both training and nutrition (not either/or) that their opinion should be taken seriously. You'll also probably have noticed that when one of them says something, I actually pay close attention, and don't get the slightest bit annoyed or rude. It's almost like I respect people who actually know what they are talking about or something, and not just jumping in my *kitten* over any verbiage that I may use that happens to rustle their jimmies.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I don't generally care how people phrase things, including you @Gallowmere1984 . What is said is generally far more important than how it's put, in my opinion. I just took issue with the self-analysis, particularly where it regards opinions rather than facts :P
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't generally care how people phrase things, including you @Gallowmere1984 . What is said is generally far more important than how it's put, in my opinion. I just took issue with the self-analysis, particularly where it regards opinions rather than facts :P

You may not, and to be fair, I don't think I've ever seen you randomly chirp in on my phrasing without actually having something to add to conversation. However, if you're ever bored, go shuffle through a few pages past most of my posts. You'll see all kinds of random driveby posts that consist of nothing more than quoting something I said, and posting "landwhales? Really?"

It's like trying to have a discussion with adults, and every few minutes someone's obnoxious kid will pipe in with "d'awwww, he sez teh derty werds". The first time it's funny. The second time, it's cute. Everything after that is just irritating.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Yes what you see on the media affects your mind. No there should not be laws to stop the free press.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I say all of this as a person who has been both obese and underweight and in both cases had different physical or mental health problems related to my weight and lifestyle. Also I'm speaking specifically about the media I am exposed to which comes predominantly from Australia and the US. I know media and beauty standards aren't the same everywhere.

I think that society glorifies thinness on an unhealthy level, and the media contributes to this. I'm not implying that there's anything unhealthy about having a thin figure, just that the way it is viewed and the way people who aren't thin are treated often goes beyond promoting health/wellness.

At the same time, it is true that obesity rates are increasing. And I think while one one hand there is this misrepresentation of being very thin in and of itself as something everyone should strive for, there's also this kind of normalisation of the fact that obesity is more and more common, and a normalisation of really high sugar foods being more prominent in people's diets. There's also evidence suggesting that these foods have addictive properties and that many people who are overweight or obese (and many who aren't) are actually addicted to food, particularly triggered by high GI foods. Media also promotes these foods.

So there are kind of different unhealthy messages going on at once.

I don't think laws on the media will fix this. Even if it were enforceable, which it isn't. Even if a federal law placed restrictions on broadcasting and other traditional media, it doesn't change the content people produce or view on the internet. And no I don't think a Government should block access to images of fashion models, ect, on the internet. Just as I don't think we should ban alcohol ads or films depicting drug use.

At risk of sounding super idealistic, only education can really address this.

People get angry about the Fat Positive Movement but really I think it's a reaction to mainstream media, in absence of any consistent or quality public education about the artificial nature of media and the distinction between aiming to have a good diet and aiming to be as thin as possible. I don't think it's a healthy movement, but has anyone noticed the number of people who react with shock/disgust at Fat Positive blogs yet have never once said anything about the saturation of thin bodies in other media? (Again, not implying that those people are unhealthy, but when almost every image features particularity thin women, it does send a message).

I'd rather see an incentive (I don't know what) to feature a range of healthy body types more often, than a law that tries to restrict what body types can be shown.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The only real body image I see in media is related to marketing, and its not just thin and fit people. Consumers respond to pretty people. Males, females, thin, plus-size, babies and old people. I absolutely do NOT think there should be a law against it. I assume we're discussing the US in all of this and I'm pretty sure this would fall under free speech and free press. We also have the freedom to turn the channel or not buy the products being offered.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Weak mindedness should be addressed by a counselor, not by changing a generally acceptable environment.
    3474449k Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous. You can't legislate thought or morality or humor or whatever. If we weren't buying those magazines and books they wouldn't be publishing that stuff. I agree on more education.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

You may not, and to be fair, I don't think I've ever seen you randomly chirp in on my phrasing without actually having something to add to conversation. However, if you're ever bored, go shuffle through a few pages past most of my posts. You'll see all kinds of random driveby posts that consist of nothing more than quoting something I said, and posting "landwhales? Really?"

It's like trying to have a discussion with adults, and every few minutes someone's obnoxious kid will pipe in with "d'awwww, he sez teh derty werds". The first time it's funny. The second time, it's cute. Everything after that is just irritating.

I'll admit I get thrown off by people who get emotion or offended by the posts of strangers on the internet. I really don't understand those who get offended on the behalf of others who themselves did not express that they were offended. But clearly that does happen and if nothing else sometimes it's worth self-censoring just to avoid having to deal with it provided your intent or message isn't somehow lost by changing your wording.