Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does the media put pressure on your body image and should there be laws to stop this?

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree there is really no feasible law for this.

It is easy to say that the media forces things on society, but we forget that the media is controlled by society. Why don't they use "fat" models? Because historically it didn't sell well. As you see more and more body acceptance in society today, we are gradually seeing more and more different body types represented. Just let economics do its thing. Changes don't happen overnight.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I agree there is really no feasible law for this.

It is easy to say that the media forces things on society, but we forget that the media is controlled by society. Why don't they use "fat" models? Because historically it didn't sell well. As you see more and more body acceptance in society today, we are gradually seeing more and more different body types represented. Just let economics do its thing. Changes don't happen overnight.

I agree that there is no logical law, but that has never stopped legislators from catering to in uninformed masses. Any such law is unenforceable and therefore pointless, but would make for a great political platform and get a lot of do-gooders out to vote.

Media is not controlled by society. Media is controlled by an extremely concentrated group of people who push content that will drive the most attention & revenue.

Less regulation = better outcome
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Media is not controlled by society. Media is controlled by an extremely concentrated group of people who push content that will drive the most attention & revenue.

Society provides the attention and revenue. The concentrated group of people are just experts in what society wants to see and how to apply it to said product.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Do what I, and many other awake folk have done... Quit watching TV. Problem. Solved.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    France has banned excessively skinny models (less than BMI of 18) from modeling in 2015 - joining Israel, Spain and Italy. 6 months jail and around $100 000fine for the agency.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yes it does.

No there shouldn't. Voting with your wallet is far more effective.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes on the media, no on the law.

Frankly, I think the heart of the matter lies at the feet of the fashion industry and Hollywood. If you haven't read some of Tim Gunn's articles about plus sizes, it's worth your time.

But I don't think there's a way to legislate this.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yes, the media is guilty of this. No, there should be no law...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    When young people from the prepubescent are bombarded by pictures of unhealthily thin people, giving the impression this is normal, it distorts their personal body image. Too often they are heard saying things like, I don't like my nose, my ears my eyes or I'm fat, what ever.

A recent transmission of UK's Women's Hour, reported the number of persons considering cosmetic interventions, because is where we are at risk of ending up, the number considering this is up by 47% in something like three years.

I think we are supposed to have a health weight policy for models over here.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Waist lines have expanded with the availability of ready meals, low calorie meal options etc. I can't remember where I found this snippet, or the correlation drawn.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    What do you think?

NOT AT ALL! I would actually say the opposite. With all the vanity sizing and "plus size is beautiful and healthY" movements... I feel pressure to be overweight because it is "normal". And with the vanity sizing it makes me feel too skinny when I am not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    We will soon see the health consequences of ignoring health for the sake of feelings.

I see no evidence that anyone is actually ignoring health for the sake of feelings. Doctors still (properly) identify obesity/overweight as a health concern, and the government has had an ongoing effort to educate the public in eating less and moving more. I think people are more aware than being overweight is a health issue than when I was a kid (and far fewer people were overweight).

On the other hand, both then and now (at least in the circles I'm in) health is only a small part of why people don't want to be fat -- it's considered far preferable and more attractive to be thin (and I'm not objecting to this, I agree, which is why my preferred weight isn't simply within the healthy zone, but more like BMI 20-21, where I think I look better). That many people are overweight isn't because they no longer think being thin is preferable, at least not in the society I live in, it's because the environment makes it harder and they haven't adjusted/figured out how to stay a healthy weight despite this yet or simply because humans don't always choose long-term health or even other positive things when making a tradeoff.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    We will soon see the health consequences of ignoring health for the sake of feelings.

I see no evidence that anyone is actually ignoring health for the sake of feelings. Doctors still (properly) identify obesity/overweight as a health concern, and the government has had an ongoing effort to educate the public in eating less and moving more. I think people are more aware than being overweight is a health issue than when I was a kid (and far fewer people were overweight).

On the other hand, both then and now (at least in the circles I'm in) health is only a small part of why people don't want to be fat -- it's considered far preferable and more attractive to be thin (and I'm not objecting to this, I agree, which is why my preferred weight isn't simply within the healthy zone, but more like BMI 20-21, where I think I look better). That many people are overweight isn't because they no longer think being thin is preferable, at least not in the society I live in, it's because the environment makes it harder and they haven't adjusted/figured out how to stay a healthy weight despite this yet or simply because humans don't always choose long-term health or even other positive things when making a tradeoff.

I'm honestly not sure which is worse: preferences that induce horrible consequences, or ignorance in a time when the free flow of information has never been more available to the masses.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Nothing can "make" you feel anything. If you feel pressure, you've chosen to feel pressure.

This is Adulting 101.

not really, although it's kind of o.t.

there's a test here in canada which is about what the 'reasonable person' would feel under a given set of circumstances. it's about deciding human-rights cases afaik, but the principle applies elsewhere as well. the basic idea is that if the 'reasonable person' would have a certain reaction, then you don't get to blow them off with 'just choosing to feel that way'.

no opinion about making laws. i think it would be in the public interest if people in their entirety were more accurately represented, but the global public interest isn't the only thing that law serves.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

too true