Tips for post-workout binging

Options
So I got back into lifting a few weeks ago and have started pushing myself hard. My biggest problem is the crazy appetite that I work up! I seriously want to eat my weight in cinnamon rolls the next day. I was able to lose about 40 lbs last year while lifting and I honestly can't remember how I did it. I want to drop 20lbs now but I love lifting heavy so I want to know if anyone has any tips to combat intense carb and sugar cravings without overdoing it.

Replies

• SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I hope you get answers cos I'm the same! I feel constantly hungry! I found a quark type protein yogurt yesterday which is really thick & filling. I had one today as a post workout snack & it did see me through the afternoon. But it's currently 8.30pm & I'm considering going to bed as I'm so hungry now & bad snacks are calling to me :(
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    So I got back into lifting a few weeks ago and have started pushing myself hard. My biggest problem is the crazy appetite that I work up! I seriously want to eat my weight in cinnamon rolls the next day. I was able to lose about 40 lbs last year while lifting and I honestly can't remember how I did it. I want to drop 20lbs now but I love lifting heavy so I want to know if anyone has any tips to combat intense carb and sugar cravings without overdoing it.

Try to push yourself to figure out what you're craving. That is usually what I do. You want cinnamon rolls? Maybe you need carbs/sugar. Try a half bagel with light cream cheese and fruit. You want chips? Try carrots and hummus for a little sodium intake. Also, attempt to get some protein in within 30-minutes after your work out. That always helps me feel less hungry by the time I make it home, plus it's great for your muscles.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Maybe plan out your day so that your post-lifting meal will be your biggest? That might keep you from going over your calories (if you're in a deficit), or decrease your deficit if it's a bit big.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips, I've been eating more meat lately but I'll try drinking a protein shake after I work out. I think that might really help. I should also keep better snacks stocked. I haven't been buying carb and sugary groceries so my cravings have been intense and I usually end up eating more food than I normally would (ending up going back for seconds...and thirds on chicken and broccoli dinner, or eating a full burger and fries at a restaurant because none of my food at home sounded tasty lol) I'm usually not too hungry after working out but the next day I can't seem to feel full.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat and protein?
  • evilpoptart63
    Options

I have no idea, I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to be eating. I've been eating more meat than I normally do so I know I'm at least getting protein
  • Jellybeanz44
    Jellybeanz44 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm totally the same way. I'm unstoppable!
  • evilpoptart63
    Options
    JayCouve wrote: »
    I'm totally the same way. I'm unstoppable!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! It's intense!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Do you have a small deficit? I find when my deficit is reasonably smaller, it's easier to contain that hunger.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I have no idea, I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to be eating. I've been eating more meat than I normally do so I know I'm at least getting protein

Do you hit your mfp targets for them?
  • daves05
    daves05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar or maybe a banana sometimes half a bagel an hour before my workout and I'm not so starving after I'm done working out.
  • fredericktambunan
    Options
    I feel like eating everything after lifting too lol...