How often do you log?

Options

Replies

• NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I log every meal, either after it is prepared and I'm about to eat it, or right after I eat it, if I can help it. If I don't log as I go, I would never be able to make proper adjustments to meals later in the day, as far as sticking to my targets. And if you don't track, how do you know where you are at nutritionally, even if you aren't counting actual calories to lose weight? Knowledge is power, and without accurate info, analysis is useless.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    I log every day. I usually log as I go, most of the time I write it all down when I weigh it and log it when I'm finished. My husband gets annoyed when I log at the table. I will usually log snacks before I eat them to decide if I really want it.
  • mrs_sjlarsen
    mrs_sjlarsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My rule is to log it before it goes into my mouth... sometimes that means a day ahead... sometimes an hour ahead... sometimes a minute ahead...... but never after. I would forget.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I mostly log in the morning what I'm going to do for the day, sometimes I get the next day going. I update it sometimes through the day or change things. It helps me a lot if I start with my dinner and evening snack and then back into the rest of the day.. o
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My rule is to log it before it goes into my mouth... sometimes that means a day ahead... sometimes an hour ahead... sometimes a minute ahead...... but never after. I would forget.

I agree mostly with this. Usually I log in the morning. Even though I have a tendency to eat the same breakfast/lunch/snacks during the week, I like to log daily after I pack my food for the workday and I know exactly what I have available. Sometimes I decide to have an unplanned item and when that happens I log it immediately. On occasions where I think temptation may be an issue (holidays, parties, special occasions) or I know I am having a meal that is not regularly included in my routine, I log ahead of time. This helps me stay on track. Usually I log my dinner after I eat it because we like to change it up often. I have also been known to log it as I am eating it.

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Log every day. During the work week I prelog the evening before what I'm taking to work to eat and also my breakfast because I don't have time to mess with logging before work. Dinner I log as I'm making it. Weekends I generally log as it goes into my mouth because if I don't, I'll forget.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    I log when i have my plate of food before i eat
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will log food while I lay in bed for the next day after I have prepped, but it works best for me to log as I go on throughout my day. I struggle badly on the weekend though.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Happy to see a few who do not log. I made the decision recently to only log if I need a calorie count on something I'm not familiar with. For me, I don't want to have to log the rest of my life. For me, it is obsessive and puts too much negative energy into getting fit. However, logging was useful for me to learn about calorie counts and nutrition.. now I need to make the lifestyle change to trust myself.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Happy to see a few who do not log. I made the decision recently to only log if I need a calorie count on something I'm not familiar with. For me, I don't want to have to log the rest of my life. For me, it is obsessive and puts too much negative energy into getting fit. However, logging was useful for me to learn about calorie counts and nutrition.. now I need to make the lifestyle change to trust myself.

Same here, I logged everything for years and it caused some bad habits. Mainly, clearing my plate all the time and ignoring the instinctual aspects of hunger-- I was just looking at "the numbers." I still think that logging is useful. Even logging everything everyday can be useful but it's not the best long term strategy. Now i will log a days worth of food about once or twice a week to make sure I'm around my macronutrient and micronutrient goals. Other than that, I've gotten familiar with my gut and started listening to it.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Like many others I log right before I eat, except packed lunches, which I log at home where I can weigh everything. I don't trust myself not to log or weigh my food, since my eyeball estimates always turn out to be wildly optimistic.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Before I eat it.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I log as I go.

"Kinda trusting evolution" is what got me here in the first place. Gaining a steady pound a month - it adds up. Logging and tracking enables me to tell the bit of my brain that's urging me to grab a muffin to STFU because no, I am not preparing to hibernate.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I log as I go b/c there were times when I would prelog the day before and have to change the entire thing b/c I changed my mind.
  • archermfp87
    archermfp87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mostly I log the night before, just to give myself an idea of what I'll be eating/where I'm allocating calories. I don't always stick to it 100% but it gives me a rough guide and it makes adjustments easier for me. But I don't pre log more than a day because then it becomes boring to me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm random. I've done before, during, after, a day or few before, a day after.

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I log every day, either as in eating or shortly after
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I log as soon as I put food in my mouth. Every time I eat, no matter how big or small. I log ;)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I log at every meal, and take a look at reports once a day. Having MFP on my phone as well as my laptop makes logging a snap.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    2111Cai wrote: »
    This has probably been asked before, but here go nothing:

How often and when do you log your food? Before you eat? If so, several days before, the night before? After you eat? If so, how long do you wait before you log?

Do you log your foods for the next day the night before (as in do you plan what you're going to eat the night before)? Or do you plan what you're going to eat that morning or a few hours before eating?

Just curious

When I eat.