I know beer isn't on my diet..BUT.....

Options
If I decide to have a couple beers every now and then, I don't see any harm. My question is though, which beer tastes the best that has the least amount of calories? I don't want to drink bud light. Blah. Maybe I should just drink two really good tasting beers and not worry about the calories. I'd drink white wine but I know that has a lot of sugar in it. I just don't know. When I decide to have a couple drinks which I will do eventually, wine or beer? Decisions Decisions.

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I think red wine is lower in calories and has apparent health benefits. Easy to justify. But...don't drink what you don't like.

I like Michelob Ultra, much better than Bud Light. But lately I've gone for the full-flavor stuff--summer shanty, stella artois, blue moon. all in the 170-200 calorie range. I'd almost rather have one of those than two ultra lights.

For me it's not the calorie load per se but the accompanying desire to eat salty crap with the beer that can be a problem! If you can be aware of and handle those urges, i say have a drink once in awhile. Or two.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I ♥ Bud Light
  • marcimlarson
    Options
    i drink what i want to, and let it reflect on my charted outcome. usually im fine.
  • estey89
    estey89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    corona?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever you want, just make sure it fits your calories for the day.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Don't do things by halves. If you want drunk with a minimum of calories, there's vodka and diet things. If you want tasty and buzzed, go for what you actually want even if this does mean one of those 200-calorie craft beers. Banning things tends to backfire, as does consistently choosing disappointing substitutes for what you wanted in the first place.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If I decide to have a couple beers every now and then, I don't see any harm. My question is though, which beer tastes the best that has the least amount of calories? I don't want to drink bud light. Blah. Maybe I should just drink two really good tasting beers and not worry about the calories. I'd drink white wine but I know that has a lot of sugar in it. I just don't know. When I decide to have a couple drinks which I will do eventually, wine or beer? Decisions Decisions.

Drink the drink you enjoy and count it as part of your calorie intake. I had a bottle of cider on Saturday. I had a couple of single malts during the week. I didn't exceed my calorie intake. Job jobbed! :-D
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Have bottles rather than pints, and make sure they're ultra cold. Stella 4% has fewer calories than regular Stella, but doesn't taste weak and watery. Or I do live a nive corona or san miguel......
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    There are actually MANY beers already on this website. Factor them into your intake and enjoy! Mind you the alcohol in beer comes from fermented sugars. There is always a residual amount of sugar left in the beer hence the higher the alcohol the more calories. Personally I'd just save them for my cheat day and all bets are off, some of it may not stay down anyway. :laugh:
  • wwhite72082
    wwhite72082 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The best light beer that I've had is probably Sam Adams Light. Good flavor without the watery taste that you sometimes get with low calorie beers.

http://www.samueladams.com/craft-beers/sam-adams-light

I don't drink much these days but love the occasional Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout or Founders Breakfast Stout (I don't even want to think about how many calories are in those...)
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I personally could not face dieting without a couple of beers or glasses of wine throughout the course of the week. I might want to die slim one day (far in the future) but I don't want to live miserable just to get there.

I find drinking real ale is a much better choice- the ABV% is higher, but I find that makes me feel less like having a second (or third) and the richer flavour is more satisfying.
    In the glorious weather I am currently sweating through in the UK, a cold Newcastle Brown Ale hits the spot quicker and more effectively for me than a Budweiser or Stella. Lager makes me want to glug all afternoon.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'd rather drink less of a beer that I like, than more of a lower calorie substitute, be it a light beer or otherwise. For the most part I treat beer as an indulgence, much as i do a piece of cake and so.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Drink the good stuff.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I like budweiser, land shark, leinenkugel summer shandy, corona light, bud platinum, miller 64.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i drink corona light with lots of lime. i can have 2 of these and not feel like i broke the bank because the calories are so low. also, the most bang for your beer-flavor buck will always be guiness with only 125 calories per can.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I personally could not face dieting without a couple of beers or glasses of wine throughout the course of the week. I might want to die slim one day (far in the future) but I don't want to live miserable just to get there.

I find drinking real ale is a much better choice- the ABV% is higher, but I find that makes me feel less like having a second (or third) and the richer flavour is more satisfying.
    In the glorious weather I am currently sweating through in the UK, a cold Newcastle Brown Ale hits the spot quicker and more effectively for me than a Budweiser or Stella. Lager makes me want to glug all afternoon.

I hear THAT :)

As an expat Pom in Oz there is a lack of decent real ale here, it exists but is drowned out by the flood of pish weak lagers.

I will opt for a heavy beer every time, I used to love Newky Brown too. Guinness is generally rubbish here but I don't mind a local Kilkenny or Caffreys.

These days If I'm drinking beer it will be a stout, I have a big (750ml) bottle in my fridge right now loaded with calories but also loaded with taste and depth and fracking enjoyment ... Just waiting for the right moment :)
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    beer makes you fat and stupid. Your choice, any beer is to much beer
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    beer makes you fat and stupid. Your choice, any beer is to much beer

i wonder if you drink a lot of beer
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I would have the beer I really wanted if I was going to have some. Why drink a beer that you aren't going to enjoy??
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever you want, just make sure it fits your calories for the day.

^This.