I know beer isn't on my diet..BUT.....

Options

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    drink beer and wine and I've gotten to my goal weight...heck I *make* my own beer! That said, Guinness tastes fabulous and is very low in calories! VERY low!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Guinness has less cals, partly due to the lower alcohol content 4.2%, partly due to carbonation (less sugar needed since Guinness is not carbonated)

I tend to drink 6-16 beer/week depending on what is going on and time of the year, and as long as you can fit it into your macro and calorie goals then "hop" to it
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This whole thread makes me cry.

Drink good beer. There are so many craft beers to choose from these days. Hefe, IPA, Souts, porter, Helles, Bock.
    Why limit yourself? I can go out and drink 2 or 3 x 200 calorie craft beers.

Back in the day I would drink 6 - 8 light beers. even at 60 calories, that's almost 500 calories on light beer. That doesn't even have a taste.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I do go out to have a drink I usually just forget about calories - I go out to enjoy my time, have a good laugh... I just forget that beer has calories and enjoy them guilt free. However, I don't tend to go much over one or two beers, so I think that's fine.
  • 65svtfastback
    65svtfastback Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I drink good beer at least twice a week (not just one either :)) and have seen no ill affects towards my goals. I log them all and usually go over for my daily limits when I do, but I keep my weekly average where it needs to be and life is good!! :) I have been losing an average of 2lbs a week for months doing this.

BTW my favs are Spotted Cow, Guiness, Summer Shanty, Shiner Boch, Modelo, Killians Red....hmmm actually anything tasty :)
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I drink Dragon's Milk or bourbon barrel stout. Or Summer Shandy. Or whatever is delicious.

I'm losing weight to make my life BETTER, not to suck all the fun out of it.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    beer makes you fat and stupid. Your choice, any beer is to much beer

i wonder if you drink a lot of beer

hahahahahaha +1
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    gotta love booze in this heat,
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever you want, just make sure it fits your calories for the day.

Yes, this. Boulevard Wheat with salt and lemon would be my choice! Or Blue Moon with an orange wedge.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    beer makes you fat and stupid. Your choice, any beer is to much beer

Ahh, so this is why I am so fat and stupid!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my occasional Guinness. It is thick and rich so I am perfectly satisfied with one. Go for the beer you really love.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I personally could not face dieting without a couple of beers or glasses of wine throughout the course of the week. I might want to die slim one day (far in the future) but I don't want to live miserable just to get there.

I find drinking real ale is a much better choice- the ABV% is higher, but I find that makes me feel less like having a second (or third) and the richer flavour is more satisfying.
    In the glorious weather I am currently sweating through in the UK, a cold Newcastle Brown Ale hits the spot quicker and more effectively for me than a Budweiser or Stella. Lager makes me want to glug all afternoon.

THIS THIS THIS!
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I personally do not drink beer - however my husband who is now watching his calorie intake likes to have a few. He usually drinks bud light and bud light lime. I grabbed him Miller 64 and select 55 to try.

He prefers the Miller 64 but if you do not like bud light try the select 55 :) (number in name is calorie count)

If you only have a few every few months or so - go for what you like. Do not deprive yourself! I usually drink Smirniff Ice which is about 175 per bottle. When I want to drink..I go for what i like. I just cut my cals back a bit over the week then add in an extra workout to off set some of the hit.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If I am going to drink a beer it has to be a good beer and I will work it into my numbers! Otherwise I will drink water!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Personally, beer is nasty, but that's just my personal opinion.

At least wine has antioxidants. But truly, if you are going to drink, then drink what you want. The occassional indulgence will not ruin your health in the long-term.
  • Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sam Adams Light has 119 calories per 12 oz, as opposed to the standard 150 calories, and it doesn't taste like a light beer!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If I decide to have a couple beers every now and then, I don't see any harm. My question is though, which beer tastes the best that has the least amount of calories? I don't want to drink bud light. Blah. Maybe I should just drink two really good tasting beers and not worry about the calories. I'd drink white wine but I know that has a lot of sugar in it. I just don't know. When I decide to have a couple drinks which I will do eventually, wine or beer? Decisions Decisions.

The way I look at it is that I'm not dieting, I'm just being more aware of what I'm consuming. I have not eliminated anything (including beer, Heineken drinker here), but I do try to plan ahead so that I have room left in my #'s for the day. If I end up going over my #'s for a day because I had a beer or 2 I don't worry the slightest bit about it, I know I'm not going to be over by much & it's only 1 day so it will not take me off track. I have found that this approach works best for me, I'm not missing anything because I haven't stopped having anything, I just keep an eye on how much & how often....

Bottom line, relax & enjoy the things you like - just do so in moderation & you'll be fine.....

Edited - A 12 oz. Heineken (NOT the light version) is 150 calories....
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Banning things tends to backfire, as does consistently choosing disappointing substitutes for what you wanted in the first place.

^This. Trying to use the "I can't have that" or substituting something less enjoyable has always led me to failure. Having what I want but controlling it has been much more successful, at least for me.....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If I decide to have a couple beers every now and then, I don't see any harm. My question is though, which beer tastes the best that has the least amount of calories? I don't want to drink bud light. Blah. Maybe I should just drink two really good tasting beers and not worry about the calories. I'd drink white wine but I know that has a lot of sugar in it. I just don't know. When I decide to have a couple drinks which I will do eventually, wine or beer? Decisions Decisions.

Typically white is a little lower in calories (10-20 calories per glass lower) than red, but it varies by type of wine.

I drink both beer and wine (more wine). It didn't stop me from losing or maintaining the loss. I just make sure I don't overdo it too often.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you want a beer- drink a beer- make sure you account for it through the rest of the week by adding a margin of error in there (buffer zone)

and don't go for one of those stupid lite beers- or 64 oz or whatever- drink what you want- enjoy it. Don't waste beer calories on a beer you won't enjoy.

Drink what you want. I personally ONLY allow myself to drink Friday/Saturday- and I rarely drink EVERY friday/saturday- mostly I have one or two on one night and that's it. Don't get crazy with it- despite all the diet/counting etc etc- we still only have one life to live. :)