Apple season!

Options
I love apples right from the orchard. We have a variety called Sweet Tango and supposed to be crossed with a honeycrisp. It is so good. I've been eating 2 a day.

I was in line buying a bag at the orchard and this little girl and her mom were ahead of me. The mom was ready to leave and says to the little girl "an apple a day!" and the little girl says "keeps the doctor away!....2 apples a day keeps the cancer away!" I chuckled to myself.

What's your favorite apple?

Replies

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love many different kinds, but Opal apples are at the top of my list. I also love tart apples and Braeburns. Mmmm.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    2 apples a day gives the dentist his pay
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I live in Minnesota, which is apple heaven. I just bought a bag of Zestar apples, and am excited to make some apple sauce! I also love Fuji and Braeburn.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Joya, Ambrosia, Pinova, Granny Smith <3
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I love Honeycrisp apples... Almost in season here in NY. :)
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Fugitive, pink lady, translucent, and others.
    My great grandpa had an apple orchard that I ate from but I never remembered the names.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    We had a MacIntosh tree in our yard when I was growing up. Sooooooo good, but the ones in the stores seem so bland compared to my memories. I have only found one orchard that grows Macs like the ones in my memory. We stumbled on the place while on vacation. But of the new varieties, I like Zestar, and I love SweeTango. OP is right, SweeTango is a cross between Honeycrisp and Zestar. I think Jonagold is my favorite all around. They don't grow Pink Ladies around here, but they are available in the off season; they are my favorite off season apple.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp. Honeycrisp. Honeycrisp.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Options
    I can never be bothered to remember the types (whoops!) but I love soft apples with a tiny bit of crunch. Very sweet and a bit tangy! Mmmmm

This is getting me excited for apple picking this Sunday!
  • princedeac
    princedeac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Living in Massachusetts it is hard to pick just ONE Apple!! However, I'm a fan of the macintosh and honey crisp apples we pick at the orchard located in Peabody. Question regarding apples, anybody have any healthy baked apple recipes to share? For example, apple muffins, crisps or others???
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Fuji and Granny Smith for munching on. I like to use a combination of Granny Smith and one of Rome, McIntosh or Gala when I make apple pie, but I tend to prefer Gala.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Pink lady, ambrosia, and honey crisp
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I eat apples everyday. They are a go to snack when I'm hungry, but I don't know what I want to eat.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Winesap - an old variety, very crunchy and not overly sweet. Yum.
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Zestar are pretty good but my favorite are Empire. Apple time is my favorite time of the year. This is the only time I eat apples. Any other time of the year they don't have much taste to me.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Yay, an apple thread!

I was stoked to see apples at the farmers market again...it's my favorite time of year! I love them all for different reasons, but the honeycrisp make terrific snacking apples. I tend to be partial to the MacIntosh and Winesap varieites though.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Granny Smith are my favorite fresh apples.
  • gingerbee33
    gingerbee33 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp apples are the best! I enjoy one a day year around, but they are the best tasting in the fall as this is apple season.
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I miss the MacIntosh that we used to get when I was a kid. I don't know what they did, but they certainly aren't the same...now they are just bland....even Grannysmiths aren't as tart as I like. I like honeycrisp and ambrosia since I can't find a good MacIntosh
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The last honeycrisp apples I had were really disappointing so I admit I've given up on them... I buy pink ladies year round. I admit that I don't know a lot of the apples you guys are talking about!

The local orchard had early fuji last year that were delicious though, and I loved their sun crisp as well. Planning to stock up on all of those this year...