Honeycrisp or Gala are my favs!
  • tommytorpedo
    tommytorpedo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Harlson
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    For simply eating, golden delicious and honeycrisp. For baking of any kind (pies, muffins, chips) I prefer Cortland.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    I miss the MacIntosh that we used to get when I was a kid. I don't know what they did, but they certainly aren't the same...now they are just bland....even Grannysmiths aren't as tart as I like. I like honeycrisp and ambrosia since I can't find a good MacIntosh
    I know what you mean. Part of the problem with Macs is that way back when, the MacIntosh brothers took a while to learn how to properly clone a cutting from their original tree. They sold a bunch of seedlings that were actually crosses of their good tree with who-knows-whatever tree was cross-pollinating it before they figured it out. So figure that the Macs we buy now that taste nothing like, those are from the non-cloned seedlings. Another factor is that they only taste their best when fresh. While on vacation once I found an orchard that sells Macs that tasted so much like what I remember from the tree we had in our yard when I was a kid that it brought tears to my eyes. You better believe I bought a half peck. A few weeks later, I saw in a grocery store some distance away from the orchard a display of Macs with that orchard's logo on it. I got some, but was disappointed by the way these apples only had a ghost of the flavor of the fresh ones. On the off-chance that you will be in the neighborhood of Lake Peppin in the next few weeks or will want to have them ship you some, here is the website for Peppin Heights Orchard: https://pepinheights.com Anybody else that can get there, do - so you can find out what a real MacIntosh tastes like. It's a few miles down the road from the National Eagle Center, so you can have a truly amazing day if you plan it right.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Cox' Orange Pippin. The right amount of crunch and sharpness. Discovery for their sweetness and short season, and Bramley's for the way they become deliciousness in an apple crumble.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    girlinahat, some people from the U.S. like to visit the U.K. to sample the ale. I'd want to visit in autumn and sample the apples.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Golden Delicious is my favorite, except that there's a tendency for them to be a little soft and that offends me to my core, so I only buy them when they are PERFECT. So more often than not, we buy Gala apples.

But for baking? I use equal parts Granny Smith and Red Delicious.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    girlinahat, some people from the U.S. like to visit the U.K. to sample the ale. I'd want to visit in autumn and sample the apples.

what annoys me the most is that the majority of the supermarkets don't sell many British apples. Asda seem to sell primarily French and New Zealand apples, which is just ludicrous.

Of course it's not just apples for eating that we get here in the West Country - this is CIDER country round here.......
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I typically do not like apples and rarely eat them, but I will make an exception for honeycrisp. I really like those!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I only really like Granny Smiths, I like the tartness.

One of my friends just gave me a big bag of crabapples from her tree though and I made a bunch of pie filling with them. They're super tart like I like but the texture isn't great for eating so I usually just bake with them.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i am hoping to go apple and pear picking this weekend! I prefer granny smith for baking or dipped in caramel and il eat any other variety. Its not my favorite fruit though.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    In the area in which I live, there are many Mac orchards. I prefer Gala apples myself
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Honey crisp
    Gala
    Pink lady
    Ambrosia
    Crispin Pink

:)
  • kayfager
    kayfager Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been putting 1 Tbls of sanders caramel sauce on my sliced Apple in the evening. Yummy!
  • dietcepheus
    dietcepheus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like a nice Cox ;) but Russet are my favourite.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    We grow granny smith and golden delicious and free apples are the best apples. :)

But, my favorites are the those little hard and sour wild apples that grow up on the ridge behind our house. Most people only use them for cooking but I love to eat them raw.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp, Zestar, & Sweet Tango, in that order.

My neighbor has an apple orchard with all of these trees, so I just have to walk down the road to get my apples in the fall. I have a Zestar and Sweet Tango with me today @ work for my morning and afternoon snacks.
  • dietcepheus
    dietcepheus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We grow granny smith and golden delicious and free apples are the best apples. :)

But, my favorites are the those little hard and sour wild apples that grow up on the ridge behind our house. Most people only use them for cooking but I love to eat them raw.

Crab apples?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Crab apples?

Yep. Nature's sour candy.