Already eat well, quickest & easiest way to lose weight now?

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can relate to not working out at home OP. I did the right thing and downloaded all these different body weight and weight lifting programs, and i did it once :flushed: The only way for me to keep up with an exercise program is if i had a personal trainer come to my door and force me to do it!
    I do walk many miles everyday, but i enjoy it and it's not very strenuous..
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything you eat so that your logging is truly accurate. Without doing this, the calories will be way off.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Now if you are bored working out at home, Netflix or Youtube is the answer. Put on your entertainment and work out while watching.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You mentioned lack of patience a few too many times for me to continue reading and not commenting.

The situation is pretty damn straightforward.

You are are not obese. You are not even overweight.

There exists NO FAST WAY for you to change your body composition in a favourable manner. NONE. Doesn't exist.

You can lose muscle fast. You can gain fat fast.

You cannot gain muscle fast. You cannot drop fat fast at your weight.

Until you can deal with this issue my suggestion is to do nothing.

At the very least this saves you from ending up with a worse body composition and having to eat less calories in order to avoid gaining weight going forward.

I agree with this advice
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat less food to lose weight
  • MamaMenorca
    MamaMenorca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    . Can you really not lose any weight with exercise? I was thinking of HIIT for 7 mins every 3 days or something. I oculd cope with that lol

Exercise will help for sure. But, think of it as 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. HIIT is also great, but you need more than 7 minutes. Aim for more like 20-30. There are workouts you can do at home, you don't have to go to the gym and run on a treadmill. Things like jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees, jump rope are all great for getting your heart rate up. Mix it up, do one minute of each with a rest of 30 seconds between each one for 20-30 minutes.

Also, you said you make a lot of soups and curries. There can be a LOT of calories and hidden things even if you are making them. MFP lets you put in a recipe and calculates the calories for each serving. Make sure you out in everything, even a pinch of salt. Are you using anything packaged, like tomato sauce? Try really making your own. The chemicals and preservatives in things like that can also sneak in things you can't really log.

Water. Water. Water. A good rule of thumb is take half your body weight in pounds and drink that much water in ounces, for example if you weigh 133lbs, you should be drinking at least 67 oz of water every day! Yes this means frequent trips to the bathroom, but it will really help and you will feel better for it too.

There is no quick fix and it will take a little time. But the more strict and careful you are the quicker it will happen.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    age 36, height 5"6, weight 133lbs. I scan the barcode of most of my foods into mfp and go off what it tells me. It's never exact as i don't use a scale and some foods aren't in the database so i have to guess. Also i make a lot of meals with multiple ingredients like stews, curries, veggies in tomato sauce with sprinkles of nuts and seeds, nutritional yeast etc. Logging every little thing is a nightmare, and very difficult as i don't know what should be cups/spoons etc (for e.g. how on earth are you supposed to log one knife spread of vitalite, or 3 shaves of vegan cheese??). The 1,500 - 2,000 range came from my diary here when i was logging more regularly every day.

It's not difficult for me. I plan the food in the food diary or recipe tool before cooking. I print the ingredient list from the food diary or the recipe tool. I weigh each ingredient on my scale before adding it to my container. The way I get a weight for the pat of butter is as follows. I place a clean butter knife on the scale and zero the scale. Then I use that knife to shave a pat of butter from the stick, and place the knife with the butter back on the scale. The scale will show the additional weight of the butter. I've gotten pretty good at shaving off 3 grams, but I still weigh it. As I weigh each item, I note the weight on my printed list. When I'm finished with my meal, I take my marked-up list back to the computer and update my food diary with accurate values. Yes, it does take time and it may be possible for people with smart phones and the app to do all this more quickly, but I no gots.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You are not lazy, it takes a bit to get on a good routine, especially before you start seeing results. I think that is one of the hardest parts. Sticking with it while it still sucks!

When I dropped a lot of weight (62 lbs), I was taking in less calories, but honestly I don't think I was eating enough, especially once I started doing high intensity workouts. I have a whole different mindset on that now. I eat a lot more calories and it seems to fuel my workouts and I stay in fat burning mode instead of storing it as fat, if that makes sense.

I think HIIT and lifting heavy are two great things to do for long term, sustainable weight loss. Spiking heart rate and then recovery helps so much with overall conditioning. Lifting heavy, building muscle mass (and no you won't get bulky), and you turn your body into a furnace burning more calories at rest. And as we know, muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less room - so it becomes less about the number on the scale and more about body composition - muscle mass vs body fat %, especially at the normal weight range you are at.

It sounds like you are eating the right things. I mostly have protein/carb together with veggies. I do have healthy fats but portioned. As soon as I buy a bag of almonds, I will measure them and portion them into little snack bags or else I will eat way too many! I stay away from peanut butter because I can't stop at a tablespoon. Mostly I will have 2 real eggs for breakfast and 1 tbsp olive oil with my dinner because I tend not to go overboard on olive oil. ;)

You can google some HIIT programs or even download an app. Try jogging at an uncomfortable pace for 1 minute, walking a minute recovery, sprint as hard as you can for 30 seconds, walk for a minute, etc.

Hope any of that helps! And yes, when you start feeling the progression, running a minute longer than you could before, a lower number on the scale, or a muscle you haven't seen in awhile, the motivation gets easier! I started off last year May not being able to run continuously for 3 minutes to a 7 minute mile. So I'm a big believer in HIIT training!
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't think of 'exercise' as a 'thing' ..like a separate activity that for you "Ugh, exercising just.... ugh." It doesn't have to be the gym or heavy workouts. What do you like to do? .. go for a walk with a friend and gossip as you stride along, get off the bus 3 stops earlier - you honestly won't notice the difference. Maybe consider a xtrainer or stationary bike that you could use at home watching TV . Exercise is only moving your body a bit more - not torture ! Good luck
  • SashaQ1381
    SashaQ1381 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Weight loss is simple, but it's not easy.

Amen!

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    age 36, height 5"6, weight 133lbs. I scan the barcode of most of my foods into mfp and go off what it tells me. It's never exact as i don't use a scale and some foods aren't in the database so i have to guess. Also i make a lot of meals with multiple ingredients like stews, curries, veggies in tomato sauce with sprinkles of nuts and seeds, nutritional yeast etc. Logging every little thing is a nightmare, and very difficult as i don't know what should be cups/spoons etc (for e.g. how on earth are you supposed to log one knife spread of vitalite, or 3 shaves of vegan cheese??). The 1,500 - 2,000 range came from my diary here when i was logging more regularly every day.

Well, there's your problem. (Or one problem anyway; @PAV8888 is very correct.) Were you to use a scale, your measurement problems would be solved. It's dead easy to weigh ingredients, even "one knife spread of vitalite". For any dishes you make regularly, the recipe builder makes matters much more simple.

But seeing as you're smack in the middle of the normal BMI range, there's very little reason to focus so much on losing more weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,561 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Zombie thread?

LOL, didn't even notice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,561 Member