Personal trainer issues...

Options
khall86790
khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
Hey guys, so I wrote a blog post here - http://www.fattofitgeek.com/2013/07/are-you-shtting-me-fitnessproblems.html - about my recent issues at my new gym.
However I will give a brief summary to anyone who doesn't want to read the post -

Joined an (expensive) gym because it offered a personal trainer to help me set up a plan because I want to get into lifting free weights.
Had 2 appointments prior to my training plan one where I told different PTs about my goals.
On my 3rd appointment for my plan, given a different PT again and he doesn't even ask me my goals before he goes through a routine with me. All with machines apart from one with dumbbells at 5kgs each.
After he goes through the plan with me, I tell him I actually wanted to lift free weights. He looks me up and down and tells me I need to start out with the machines first. When I explained to him in total I'd lost 18kgs and I wanted to do this properly following the idea of new lifting rules for women, he looked baffled and told me I needed to follow the plan he set me and to attend the gym 2 times a week.
Weight training with light weights and lots of reps - just 2 days a week? For 2 months? And that is supposed to get me the results I want?

Some advice would be great please guys, I am really p*ssed off and considering quitting the gym and investing in a free weights set at home to work with instead. I will be saving about 400€ this way and can continue to teach myself everything from the MFP forums and various youtube videos as I have done so far with my health & fitness.

Extra info;
Weight: 59kgs
BMI: 22.5
BF %: 27%
Muscle Mass %: 39%

Ideally I want to lose 5% of my body fat and increase my muscle mass by around 2-3%.

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    He's working for you, not the other way around, you don't have to do what he says!

I would either approach the gym management, and request another free session to make a plan, outlining the issues above, or just ignore the guy, and do the NROLFW workouts.
  • khall86790
    Options
    He was very affirmative when I suggested I didn't want to use machines and wanted to use free weights (even though he hadn't tailored the plan for me at all) and to be honest it sounds silly but I didn't want to question him too much because he is qualified compared to me being not qualified but having read so much research and information on the contrary to what he was saying.
    I just didn't want to insult him I suppose. I can be a bit withdrawn in new surroundings like this (this is my first week at a gym, I am normally outside running or doing home workouts).

I should also point out - I pay 40€ a month for this gym compared to 15€ a month I could pay at another gym and teach myself or pay €80-100€ one off to buy the equipment for my apartment and do it here.

Just wanted opinions on if that'd be a good idea really and also to see if anyone agreed with his suggestions to me! He is saying 2 months of the weight machines and then I could move on to free weights. But my argument is using a bar with no weights is surely a better way to start that machines to target certain areas when I want to move up to a full body style of lifting?
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    Good instincts. Basically this gym does not sound conducive to people serious about getting fit. I have lost 50 Ilbs and did it by utilizing free weight workouts that were high intensity in nature and of a shorter duration. Free weights and pushing your cardio are the way go. Machines.....well...not so much. Dump that gym or find another trainer who is not a poser. Good luck.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You don't need a personal trainer and telling those people your goals for them to write a bespoke program you have no intention of following was a waste of everyone's time.

You just need a gym instructor to show you where the fire exits are, where the water fountain and locker rooms are, and to check your form.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well there might be a few (not many) instances where machines make sense, but you can't tell just by looking someone up and down. He's either lazy, and just wants to use a cookie cutter approach, or he's not as qualified as you or he thinks. Maybe, he is unable to teach barbell exercises, so he is doing it for his own interests, not yours.

Either way, I think you should stick to your free weight goal, whether that's with a different trainer, alone, or a different gym, it's up to you.
  • khall86790
    Options
    You don't need a personal trainer and telling those people your goals for them to write a bespoke program you have no intention of following was a waste of everyone's time.

You just need a gym instructor to show you where the fire exits are, where the water fountain and locker rooms are, and to check your form.

I agree it was a waste of time but it's all trial and error, until you experience it for yourself you don't know that. I feel such a newbie when it comes to weights that I just thought maybe a little guidance was what I needed.
  • khall86790
    Options
    Well there might be a few (not many) instances where machines make sense, but you can't tell just by looking someone up and down. He's either lazy, and just wants to use a cookie cutter approach, or he's not as qualified as you or he thinks. Maybe, he is unable to teach barbell exercises, so he is doing it for his own interests, not yours.

Either way, I think you should stick to your free weight goal, whether that's with a different trainer, alone, or a different gym, it's up to you.

Thank you, I appreciate this feedback! I thought I knew what he was saying wasn't right but I just needed some confirmation from people a little more experienced in it than me.
  • JovanValor
    JovanValor Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Hes definetly setting bs goals for as long *kitten* possible to get the most easy $$ from you :( , Specially after knowing your goals he insist in doing it his way, so desrespctful! Ok look i love learning about this stuff and i go deep into the details so ill tell you a bit of what i suggest you should do ON YOUR OWN AT THE GYM. ( Get rid of the trainer that is all)

OK so you want to lower your bodyfat% witch means you need to adjust your Macro nutrients for a specific result that been Eating exacly enough carbs/Fats to fuel your dessired weight and new muscle.

You do this by looking up the following things on Youtube or whatever website you trust:

SEARCH: BMR calculator, Activity Calculator, Bmi calculator( I know you know this one already :D )

And then research-

SEARCG: Macro nutrient ratios

Also based on your goal you seem to be aiming more towards building muscle so you want to research-

SEARCH: How to Hypertrophy ( Study what it is and how its different from others )

And ofcource study Meal preparations or ingredients that benefit your specific goal, Witch should be Low Fat/carb High protein ratio.

Search: Low carb Meal Planing.

And when getting to the exercises their is very Fundamental things you want to KNOW-

SEARCH: Proper breathing when lifting, When to eat & take supplements to Benefit you at the most important times in the day, The importance of the SPEED,INTENSITY,RANGE OF MOTION of a repetition.

And most important of all-

Search or watch HOW Famous men/Women body builders Train, Theyre movement,The attitude, Their experiences and Tips.
    I reccommend Searching on youtube: Actually heres the link, Makesure to listen to what he is trying to express and teach.

http://youtu.be/_4cLUKRns00

Waw im sure im missing so much but feel free to msg me if you have any specific questions :D , i love sharing what ive learned and my expirience with the Road to a Healthier/ Fit life

Hope i helped!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    take the book, or write out the first New Rules workout and take it with you and show the PT thats what you want to... you're paying them, you can do what you like!
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This guy is seriously inept or just leaching you for money, possibly both. Talk to the gym management and inform them of what your goals are. You may also want to tell them that you want to work with a more lenient instructor. You pay for their services, they work for you. If you aren't happy with it, you are can to express your dissatisfaction. I took a peak at your profile and you physique looks perfectly fine to have started weight training already. It looks like you could move passed beginner routines fairly quickly.

My guess is they are trying to prevent customers from quickly learning how to properly exercise. Customers would eventually ditch the trainers to save money and just do their own thing.

I'd also recommend you not mention seeking advice on the net. This maybe a fitness site but I'm willing to bet those same instructors will be biased towards their own inflated sense of self and instructor training, or lack thereof.
  • khall86790
    Options
    This guy is seriously inept or just leaching you for money, possibly both. Talk to the gym management and inform them of what your goals are. You may also want to tell them that you want to work with a more lenient instructor. You pay for their services, they work for you. If you aren't happy with it, you are can to express your dissatisfaction. I took a peak at your profile and you physique looks perfectly fine to have started weight training already. It looks like you could move passed beginner routines fairly quickly.

My guess is they are trying to prevent customers from quickly learning how to properly exercise. Customers would eventually ditch the trainers to save money and just do their own thing.

I'd also recommend you not mention seeking advice on the net. This maybe a fitness site but I'm willing to bet those same instructors will be biased towards their own inflated sense of self and instructor training, or lack thereof.

That's what I thought about mentioning advice from online too because most people discredit it. Which is ridiculous as I'd be willing to bet his Personal Trainer course was through an online service, for the lack of knowledge he had and/or current research I can't imagine he studied it at college/university. I could be wrong, but if he did then he wasn't taught very well about customer relations, etc.

I have written an email to their management expressing I am considering pulling out of my membership and how I disappointed I am.

After the responses I've had so far, I think I'm just going to go at this alone!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so I wrote a blog post here - http://www.fattofitgeek.com/2013/07/are-you-shtting-me-fitnessproblems.html - about my recent issues at my new gym.
    However I will give a brief summary to anyone who doesn't want to read the post -

Joined an (expensive) gym because it offered a personal trainer to help me set up a plan because I want to get into lifting free weights.
    Had 2 appointments prior to my training plan one where I told different PTs about my goals.
    On my 3rd appointment for my plan, given a different PT again and he doesn't even ask me my goals before he goes through a routine with me. All with machines apart from one with dumbbells at 5kgs each.
    After he goes through the plan with me, I tell him I actually wanted to lift free weights. He looks me up and down and tells me I need to start out with the machines first. When I explained to him in total I'd lost 18kgs and I wanted to do this properly following the idea of new lifting rules for women, he looked baffled and told me I needed to follow the plan he set me and to attend the gym 2 times a week.
    Weight training with light weights and lots of reps - just 2 days a week? For 2 months? And that is supposed to get me the results I want?

Some advice would be great please guys, I am really p*ssed off and considering quitting the gym and investing in a free weights set at home to work with instead. I will be saving about 400€ this way and can continue to teach myself everything from the MFP forums and various youtube videos as I have done so far with my health & fitness.

Extra info;

Ideally I want to lose 5% of my body fat and increase my muscle mass by around 2-3%.

Do you HAVE to have the personal trainer, or can you not just go to the gym and do your own thing?
  • khall86790
    Options

Extra info;

Do you HAVE to have the personal trainer, or can you not just go to the gym and do your own thing?

Not at all, as I've already stated I don't need one I just thought maybe I did for a little extra guidance into something totally new for me.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Not at all, as I've already stated I don't need one I just thought maybe I did for a little extra guidance into something totally new for me.

Ahh right, because I am thinking, if you ditch your PT and do your free weights at the gym and that saves you buying some for indoors, plus you will need a spotter or partner in time for free-weights, you will be able to get this at the gym, but not at home see. Also you will have access to other stuff at the gym such as any cardio machines, sauna, classes etc etc and it can be such a sociable environment.

The only thing is, ensure you get the correct technique for lifting free weights, don't want any injuries.

I hope you get it sorted x
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Posts like this trouble me. I am currently in the process of getting certified to be a personal trainer. I'm not a big fan of the cookie cutter programs they want you to set up for people. Seeing so many people get frustrated over inept CPT's has helped my drive to be a good one, but also worries me that CPT's get a bad name and less people will be inclined to use one.

I would attempt to open a dialogue between you & your PT and ask him WHY he's insistant on giving you the program HE wants, versus the one YOU want? I sreiously doubt he'll have a good answer and you should go down the path you want, but it may help out the next person he tries to teach, but doesn't want to listen to thier goals.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers at commercial gyms are pretty much useless. I have tried many times to get decent coaching on the squat, for example, and finally came to the conclusion that it's a complete waste of money, time and frustration. Spend your time reading about technique and working it out on your own by video taping and critiquing. There are groups on here where you can get help with that. A serious alternative would be to find a powerlifting gym and seek help there.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I had the same issue with my gym in January. Told the PT I wanted to lift free weights and he told me I didn't need to do that and just needed to work on machines. So I ignored him and found a workout buddy to do the New Rules Of Lifting For Women on my own.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    i never had a PT and i learned all my info off of muscle building books, youtube and online sites in general... I would just save the money... but if you do want a PT, make sure he is not a *sshole and hears you out... He is suppose to help you get to your goals.. period.
  • khall86790
    Options
    To the OP, I had the same issue with my gym in January. Told the PT I wanted to lift free weights and he told me I didn't need to do that and just needed to work on machines. So I ignored him and found a workout buddy to do the New Rules Of Lifting For Women on my own.

You know, I'm not saying he is sexist or anything extreme like that but I really felt like if I was a man who had said this to him that he would've have told me to stick with low weights, high reps and machines.
  • khall86790
    Options
    Posts like this trouble me. I am currently in the process of getting certified to be a personal trainer. I'm not a big fan of the cookie cutter programs they want you to set up for people. Seeing so many people get frustrated over inept CPT's has helped my drive to be a good one, but also worries me that CPT's get a bad name and less people will be inclined to use one.

I would attempt to open a dialogue between you & your PT and ask him WHY he's insistant on giving you the program HE wants, versus the one YOU want? I sreiously doubt he'll have a good answer and you should go down the path you want, but it may help out the next person he tries to teach, but doesn't want to listen to thier goals.

I've emailed the gym and been told they are offering me personal training with someone better qualified and the PT in question will be given a serious talking to.
    So I have missed the boat on that, maybe he will change his ways after being given a dressing down by his manager, I am not sure.

As for me - I am still undecided as to whether to take them up on the offer to look elsewhere.