Personal trainer issues...

Options

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with a personal trainer: Everything he is teaching you can be researched in an afternoon on YouTube.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I am really p*ssed off and considering quitting the gym and investing in a free weights set at home to work with instead.
    Do this. Most of my workouts are done at home. Watch videos and learn the form that works best for you. Picture perfect form or exercise technique is non-existent since we are all built differently.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Disrespectful is right, also, arrogant, ignorant little douche.. even if he believed in what he suggested (and would also rec it for a man), that is not how you deal with people who've entrusted you with their fitness. Or their sweaters, even. Just really crap customer service. Deserved what he got from his management.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Have you got any experience in weight lifting?
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sounds less like a personal trainer then just someone who works at the gym and shows you how to use the equipment. Coming from someone working on heir PT certification- I would not accept this. You should not be "shoved" between PT/ there should be one assigned to you. That person needs to sit down and talk with you. Find out your goals, hat you've been doing. Any limitations per dr, etc. talk nutrition, fitness- the whole thing.
    Then you should both figure out a fitness plan that meets your goals and what you are wanting to do not just saying here's equipment- use it. They should also be meeting with you for your exercises and spotting you to make sure you're doing them right, give encouragement, etc. your routine may also vary each time to work different muscle groups, etc.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    He's not a good trainer -- simple as that.

A good trainer would've asked about your exercise history, your goals, and would've evaluated what you're already capable of.

Also I agree with doing free weights if you are paying a trainer. They should be able to teach you proper form and correct any issues. Doing machines isn't getting the full benefit of a trainer.

Hopefully you're not stuck with this one. If not, try another one at the gym; or if you're not stuck with the gym, try another gym.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    They owe you three sessions with one trainer who listens and who responds to your goals. They owe you consistency. Or they owe you all of your money back.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've emailed the gym and been told they are offering me personal training with someone better qualified and the PT in question will be given a serious talking to.
    So I have missed the boat on that, maybe he will change his ways after being given a dressing down by his manager, I am not sure.

As for me - I am still undecided as to whether to take them up on the offer to look elsewhere.

If you're at any risk of being locked in and are in a trial period, I would just look elsewhere. There's a strong possibility they simply have a low bar for PTs. If not, it doesn't hurt to give another PT there a try. Maybe use yelp to find a good PT in your area?
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would tell the managers at the gym that you are not satisfied with him (and why) and request a different trainer or you will go somewhere else.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    He was very affirmative when I suggested I didn't want to use machines and wanted to use free weights (even though he hadn't tailored the plan for me at all) and to be honest it sounds silly but I didn't want to question him too much because he is qualified compared to me being not qualified but having read so much research and information on the contrary to what he was saying.
    I just didn't want to insult him I suppose. I can be a bit withdrawn in new surroundings like this (this is my first week at a gym, I am normally outside running or doing home workouts).

I should also point out - I pay 40€ a month for this gym compared to 15€ a month I could pay at another gym and teach myself or pay €80-100€ one off to buy the equipment for my apartment and do it here.

Just wanted opinions on if that'd be a good idea really and also to see if anyone agreed with his suggestions to me! He is saying 2 months of the weight machines and then I could move on to free weights. But my argument is using a bar with no weights is surely a better way to start that machines to target certain areas when I want to move up to a full body style of lifting?

He's talking complete BS. If you have the NROLFW, then follow that.

You DO NOT NEED MACHINES. In fact, I think machines are waste of time because they isolate the muscles to much.

In my 30 odd years of experience lifting weights, PTs in gyms are worse than useless, they can be downright dangerous. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but I have yet to meet one.

You want heavy weights and low reps, just like everybody else.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    NROLFW spells everything out in detail. You don't need a trainer to help you follow the instructions in the book. I would recommend watching a few videos on deadlifting and squatting form, otherwise everything else is explained perfectly in the book.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    He was very affirmative when I suggested I didn't want to use machines and wanted to use free weights (even though he hadn't tailored the plan for me at all) and to be honest it sounds silly but I didn't want to question him too much because he is qualified compared to me being not qualified but having read so much research and information on the contrary to what he was saying.
    I just didn't want to insult him I suppose. I can be a bit withdrawn in new surroundings like this (this is my first week at a gym, I am normally outside running or doing home workouts).

I should also point out - I pay 40€ a month for this gym compared to 15€ a month I could pay at another gym and teach myself or pay €80-100€ one off to buy the equipment for my apartment and do it here.

Just wanted opinions on if that'd be a good idea really and also to see if anyone agreed with his suggestions to me! He is saying 2 months of the weight machines and then I could move on to free weights. But my argument is using a bar with no weights is surely a better way to start that machines to target certain areas when I want to move up to a full body style of lifting?

You DO NOT NEED MACHINES. In fact, I think machines are waste of time because they isolate the muscles to much.

In my 30 odd years of experience lifting weights, PTs in gyms are worse than useless, they can be downright dangerous. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but I have yet to meet one.

The only problem with free weights and lifting heavy is that you need a partner or spotter, what if somebody likes to train alone?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've been doing NROL for more than a year. Many, if not most, people who do NROL work out by themselves. In fact, most of the people that I see in the free weight area are working out by themselves. I've never used a spotter. I don't attempt to squat any weight that I'm not sure that I can bring up out of the hole. Could I 1RM more than I do? Maybe, but I'm not training for a power lifting competition, so I don't push it. Most of the guys in the weight room will ask another lifter for a spot on bench presses if they feel they need one. Other than that, I don't really see anyone using spotters.
  • fitgalin22
    fitgalin22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your trainer seems to have no intention in doing what you want to focus on. I would suggest to either continue going to your gym and working on free weights on your own or find another gym that will accommodate your needs. :) BTW nice blog very inspirational. Following you on some of your social media. :D
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

The only problem with free weights and lifting heavy is that you need a partner or spotter, what if somebody likes to train alone?

You don't need a partner or spotter unless you're doing chest press or squats with heavier weights than you can comfortably handle. The OP is talking about starting with a bar only.

And there is nothing wrong with asking someone to spot for you, if you think you need it. There are gym staff if she's too nervous to ask another lifter. I've lifted weights for 30 years and have never had a "partner".
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think you should be able to do NROLFW on your own. I've not done the program myself, but I do own the book and have read it. I think it's pretty straightforward and there are all sorts of videos online that demonstrate the exercises.

I'd probably quit the expensive gym, join the one that costs less, and just do the NROLFW program on my own.

I don't think you could outfit your home with the equipment NROLFW requires for 80-100 euros, even if you found a great deal on a bunch of used equipment. Oh--unless you've already got a rack and such, then perhaps it is possible. If not, I think joining a gym is probably best, but make the gym a less expensive one, if possible.

I don't do NROLFW, but I train with heavy weights 4 times per week, alone. You don't need a trainer or a partner to help you out. Just use the rack, and ask someone in the weights area for a spot if/when you need it. The only time I really need a spot is for bench press, and I don't usually even need one then. Just once in a while.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

You don't need a partner or spotter unless you're doing chest press or squats with heavier weights than you can comfortably handle. The OP is talking about starting with a bar only.

And there is nothing wrong with asking someone to spot for you, if you think you need it. There are gym staff if she's too nervous to ask another lifter. I've lifted weights for 30 years and have never had a "partner".

Yes, good point!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Over the years I've had 3 personal trailers, and I've ~never~ had one disregard what I've said that way. They might suggest something else, or tell me my form was crap and how to correct it, but if they're disregarding what you're saying entirely. Take them to task, you're hiring a professional to teach you about how to do a specific task. If they are unable to teach you that task then you should be refunded your money. Period.

There is no reason that you couldn't do the bar bare if you were too weak to lift the heavier weights and I honestly don't know anyone who needed 5 lb weights and couldn't do more. He sounds completely incompetent and wanting to do a quick in and out without having to deal with his clients.

Find a new personal trainer and I'd also contact the management and discuss his behavior with them. That's a load of ****.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Posts like this trouble me. I am currently in the process of getting certified to be a personal trainer. I'm not a big fan of the cookie cutter programs they want you to set up for people. Seeing so many people get frustrated over inept CPT's has helped my drive to be a good one, but also worries me that CPT's get a bad name and less people will be inclined to use one.

I would attempt to open a dialogue between you & your PT and ask him WHY he's insistant on giving you the program HE wants, versus the one YOU want? I sreiously doubt he'll have a good answer and you should go down the path you want, but it may help out the next person he tries to teach, but doesn't want to listen to thier goals.

I've emailed the gym and been told they are offering me personal training with someone better qualified and the PT in question will be given a serious talking to.
    So I have missed the boat on that, maybe he will change his ways after being given a dressing down by his manager, I am not sure.

As for me - I am still undecided as to whether to take them up on the offer to look elsewhere.

That's good to hear. I was going to suggest that you go to management and you would find out quickly whether the trainer was acting on his own or following a company policy to work you into a long-term training commitment.

In general, there can be some justification for advising someone starting out to start with a more basic program. The body needs time to adapt to the physical stresses of a new routine and often it doesn't make any difference whether you start on machines or free machines. The same goes for staring off with lighter weights--the body initially will progress just fine with lighter weights and you don't get beat up as much.

However, in this case, you are younger, have no real issues, and are motivated to learn. So in your case, there was no reason to brush you off.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear they want to work with you.

I would actually take them up on their offer if you have money invested already (depending on how much).

I was interested in this because my mom paid $1000 for personal training 2 years ago. She was 260 lbs at the time has a heart condition, asthma and was given the same work out as the person before her (I was there watching the trainer, and cos she was trying to get me to sign up and do it with her).

She couldn't do half the stuff and so never went back. She was so turned off of the fact they didn't listen to her or better suited her needs that she would rather throw the money away. Unfortunately, I think this may be the case for a lot of commercial gym names

If you don't have much invested and are in doubt of their services- then don't go back. Cos if you have it in your mind of who they are then it will mentally affect your time there.