**Help!!! PROTEIN macro help needed!!! From high protein eaters!!!

Options
kricard86
kricard86 Posts: 50 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So I recently increased my protein intake to 150g, on a 1480 eating plan, I weigh 156. I lift around 4-5 times a week. The scale has NOT moved. Any other time, a daily deficit for me yields daily losses. For one week consistently, I have stayed at 156.6- my goal is to lose fat and increase muscle, but I'm not sure if I should decrease protein, or decrease caloric intake. 1200 calories is very steep to adhere to. Any suggestions on macros and calorie count??? And for clarity and honesty, my eating is between 1480 to 1650, with a daily deficit from exercise.

Replies

• Sylynce_fit
    Sylynce_fit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wright, size, shape and strength are not the same things. 1g/lb body weight for protein intake is often associated with meal plans looking to burn fat. At the same time, working out with that much additional amino acids (assuming good, clean, while spices of protein) week contribute to muscle gain, depending on your work out regime.

Have you taken any other measurements other than weight? Have you looked at % bf kids over the same time? Perhaps measurements at hip, waist, bust, butt, neck and arms/ thigh.

What you might be experiencing is muscle gain that is offsetting the fast kids, at least according to the scale. Hard to observe in the short term. Have you increased carbs, or had less refined carbs over that same time period? These additional carbs might be contributing to water retention weight.

Make sure you bring up your water intake slightly with that much protein, which will also help to flush out retained water.

Keep at it, one week might not be sufficient to fully appreciate everything going on with a changed meal plan.

Jeff
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Weigh loss isn't linear..sometimes you'll lose, sometimes you'll gain, and sometimes you'll maintain, and you won't put on much muscle in a deficit other than newbie gains. Fluid retention can happen, too. Concentrate on either losing fat (eating at a deficit and lifting) or gaining muscle (eating at a surplus and lifting). You may even be in recomposition territory or close to it (you have around 15lbs to lose, correct?) which is eating at maintenance or just around 100 below and lifting.

How are you measuring your food intake (cups/spoons/scale) and exercise? What are your stats (height, age, current weight, goal weight?) What exercises other than lifting do you do to create a deficit as lifting doesn't burn much calories? What lifting program are you doing?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Here's a table which explains the healthy macro ranges, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

And you're not going to see much of a change in 1 week, esp. when you're already close to a healthy weight.
    Take measurements.

Here's a calculator which will estimate your body fat percentage.
    http://www.webcalcsolutions.com/fitness-calculators/body-fat-navy.asp
    Notice under where it says "body fat category" there's a line of symbols...
    Click on the down arrow and it will show you the levels.
    As long as you're in a healthy range, carry on.
  • kricard86
    Options
    Wright, size, shape and strength are not the same things. 1g/lb body weight for protein intake is often associated with meal plans looking to burn fat. At the same time, working out with that much additional amino acids (assuming good, clean, while spices of protein) week contribute to muscle gain, depending on your work out regime.

Have you taken any other measurements other than weight? Have you looked at % bf kids over the same time? Perhaps measurements at hip, waist, bust, butt, neck and arms/ thigh.

What you might be experiencing is muscle gain that is offsetting the fast kids, at least according to the scale. Hard to observe in the short term. Have you increased carbs, or had less refined carbs over that same time period? These additional carbs might be contributing to water retention weight.

Make sure you bring up your water intake slightly with that much protein, which will also help to flush out retained water.

Keep at it, one week might not be sufficient to fully appreciate everything going on with a changed meal plan.

Jeff

Yes, I've decreased carbs, increased water and I've taken measurements and BF calcs. You are right. I'll give it time.
  • kricard86
    Options
    Weigh loss isn't linear..sometimes you'll lose, sometimes you'll gain, and sometimes you'll maintain, and you won't put on much muscle in a deficit other than newbie gains. Fluid retention can happen, too. Concentrate on either losing fat (eating at a deficit and lifting) or gaining muscle (eating at a surplus and lifting). You may even be in recomposition territory or close to it (you have around 15lbs to lose, correct?) which is eating at maintenance or just around 100 below and lifting.

How are you measuring your food intake (cups/spoons/scale) and exercise? What are your stats (height, age, current weight, goal weight?) What exercises other than lifting do you do to create a deficit as lifting doesn't burn much calories? What lifting program are you doing?

I use scales and cups for measurements with portion sizes according to packages as well. I'm 30, 5'2, 156.6- I don't really have a goal weight for the END result. Right now healthy BMI would be at 140 or lower, so that's the target. I don't plan to become a body builder but I lift heavy, alternating full body one week, splits the next. This week I'll do a week of Body Beast. I also do sprinting or intense elliptical for 20 min post lifts. On off days, 30 min of cardio like zumba. I see about 400-500 calorie burn on lift days, 300 on cardio days.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You probably only need about 0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. I'm not saying it's not possible that more couldn't help (I use 1 gram per pound of bodyweight while dieting), but if you're having trouble hitting that goal then back off. As for it affecting weight loss, it is unlikely. I'm guessing you're pretty petite? How much per week are you targeting? Keep in mind that if you're smaller/petite that much of your weight loss per week can be easily masked by water weight fluctuations. At 197-198 pounds I vary by as much as 5 pounds a day. Be patient.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kricard86 wrote: »

I use scales and cups for measurements with portion sizes according to packages as well. I'm 30, 5'2, 156.6- I don't really have a goal weight for the END result. Right now healthy BMI would be at 140 or lower, so that's the target. I don't plan to become a body builder but I lift heavy, alternating full body one week, splits the next. This week I'll do a week of Body Beast. I also do sprinting or intense elliptical for 20 min post lifts. On off days, 30 min of cardio like zumba. I see about 400-500 calorie burn on lift days, 300 on cardio days.

Why would you change your workout almost every week? You will actually make it harder to make muscle gains. Why not pick a good 3 day full body routine and work on making progressive gains in terms of strength. If you are consistently able to increase volume, then there is a possibility that you can gain some muscle while losing fat.

I will note, as @sunnybeaches105 stated, that you don't need that much protein. You will only need around .8g of protein per lb of bw (roughly 1g per lb of lean body mass). I would add back some carbs since they are muscle sparring and help stimulate muscle protein synthesis (key to muscle growth).
  • kricard86
    Options
    You probably only need about 0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. I'm not saying it's not possible that more couldn't help (I use 1 gram per pound of bodyweight while dieting), but if you're having trouble hitting that goal then back off. As for it affecting weight loss, it is unlikely. I'm guessing you're pretty petite? How much per week are you targeting? Keep in mind that if you're smaller/petite that much of your weight loss per week can be easily masked by water weight fluctuations. At 197-198 pounds I vary by as much as 5 pounds a day. Be patient.

Will do! THanks for the advice!
  • kricard86
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Why would you change your workout almost every week? You will actually make it harder to make muscle gains. Why not pick a good 3 day full body routine and work on making progressive gains in terms of strength. If you are consistently able to increase volume, then there is a possibility that you can gain some muscle while losing fat.

I will note, as @sunnybeaches105 stated, that you don't need that much protein. You will only need around .8g of protein per lb of bw (roughly 1g per lb of lean body mass). I would add back some carbs since they are muscle sparring and help stimulate muscle protein synthesis (key to muscle growth).

I have decreased my intake as of yesterday. The protein does keep me feeling full though so I have to force carbs on myself. I was alternating workouts because I was new to lifting (it's been 7 years since I've lifted), and I wanted to see which workout split would work the best (time and recovery). I enjoyed the full body workouts. I had more time at home, I just wasn't sure if they would be as effective as my upper/lower 4 day splits.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the replies, but I am eating around 1750-1800 calories with 140-150g of protein. I eat meat at all three meals... usually chicken! ha. Some days I will have a protein shake to get to the 140g if I need it. Some days I hit it with food only (larger servings of meat, more nuts, peanut butter, etc.)

I am not dieting to lose weight but I have been taking measurements and lost about 5 inches total over the past 5 weeks... the scale hasn't moved much.

Keep on keepin on!
  • kricard86
    Options
    Dayle1984 wrote: »
    I didn't read all of the replies, but I am eating around 1750-1800 calories with 140-150g of protein. I eat meat at all three meals... usually chicken! ha. Some days I will have a protein shake to get to the 140g if I need it. Some days I hit it with food only (larger servings of meat, more nuts, peanut butter, etc.)

I am not dieting to lose weight but I have been taking measurements and lost about 5 inches total over the past 5 weeks... the scale hasn't moved much.

Keep on keepin on!

That motivates me! Thank you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    150g seems unnecessary for your weight. That's all I have to say, lol.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of protein. Are you pooping?
  • psuLemon
    Options

I have decreased my intake as of yesterday. The protein does keep me feeling full though so I have to force carbs on myself. I was alternating workouts because I was new to lifting (it's been 7 years since I've lifted), and I wanted to see which workout split would work the best (time and recovery). I enjoyed the full body workouts. I had more time at home, I just wasn't sure if they would be as effective as my upper/lower 4 day splits.

If you prefer a split, you can do one.. PHUL is one of my favorites.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Yes, full body workouts are as effective as u/l splits.
  • kricard86
    Options
    That's a lot of protein. Are you pooping?

hahaha yes! lol :D
  • kricard86
    Options

PHUL? I'll look it up.
  • psuLemon
    Options

PHUL? I'll look it up.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower. The above thread will be up your alley.
  • kricard86
    Options

PHUL? I'll look it up.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower. The above thread will be up your alley.

Ok perfect! I downloaded the program.