Coconut/Almond Milk - Refrigerated and Non-Refrigerated?

Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a lot.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a lot.

Food prices in Australia are pretty high unfortunately.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    i keep a couple of the tetra boxes (the unfrige type) in the cupboard as a backup supply and buy the refrigerated cartons for more immediate use. both almond milk and cow's milk. i don't worry about the price difference based on this usage plan.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I read an article about marketing and the psychology of shoppers. Tetra packs did not sell well on the shelf but when they were put in the dairy section they sold like hot cakes.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Me thinks its the extra "ingredients" to make it shelf stable that are added to the shelf milk that make it cost more. Next time buy both of the same brand and compare. I bet there will be some differences.

The other ones are pretty much shelf stable as well, and the ones in boxes have to be refrigerated once they're opened. It's just the packaging and presentation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I checked on the almond and soy and coconut milks at my grocery out of curiosity last night, and what I found was that the prices are the same for the same size (within the brands, which of course differ). Most of the milk in the refrigerated area were the larger size in the same kind of carton as milk, and that was cheaper per oz than the smaller size, but there were a few smaller ones, that were more per oz. The shelf was mostly the smaller size, but there were some larger size ones (same shape box, just bigger) and those were also discounted per oz compared with the smaller size.

Good to know -- I'd been annoyed that cashew only came in the larger size since it's a pain to carry, but now I know it's cheaper I'm happy. (Well, I actually am making my own now, but if I ever want the low cal stuff again it's good to know.)
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I've always wondered about this. I like almond milk in my oatmeal, so I buy it when I remember, which isn't always, and I've bought both the refrigerated and non-refrigerated kinds, whichever one I happen to see and think, "oh, yeah! I should buy that!" I've never compared the prices.

I'm a pretty disorganized shopper, actually.