Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Banning Underweight Models -- a jumping off point for a broader discussion

diannethegeek
diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
Okay, the other thread on why some people are aiming for lower goal weights in the underweight category didn't go well. And since I was one who pointed out that I think there's a broader discussion to be had that can't be had over there, it feels like I should start a thread where maybe it can be had.

Debaters of MFP, I bring you a subject. Run with it. Expand on it. Have at it with this thread.

In 2015 France banned all models who are under a healthy weight as determined by their doctor.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35130792
A previous version of the bill had suggested a minimum Body Mass Index (BMI) for models, prompting protests from modelling agencies in France.

But the final draft approved on Thursday allows doctors to decide whether a model is too thin by taking into account their weight, age, and body shape.

It also says that digitally altered images making a model's silhouette "narrower or wider" should be labelled "touched up".

France is not the first country to legislate on underweight models - Italy, Spain and Israel have all done so.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/news/a37979/what-models-really-think-about-france-banning-extremely-skinny-models/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ainsley-mcwha/i-wish-france-had-banned-underweight-models-when-i-was-one_b_7020356.html

Good idea? Bad idea? Are there better ways?

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I don't see a problem with banning truly underweight models; if society is going to have any chance at a change for the better, it has to start somewhere.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    I wouldn't have an issue, with underweight models; if it wasn't intentional to seek/create them. If a woman was underweight because of an illness but not intentionally attempting to be and/or expected to be/remain that way, then fine!
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    The job of (high) fashion models is to be hangers for designer clothes. As soon as we develop human-seeming robots capable of doing that, models will be out of a job.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    The job of (high) fashion models is to be hangers for designer clothes. As soon as we develop human-seeming robots capable of doing that, models will be out of a job.

Then those underweight models will need to gain a pound or two to be employed by those agencies; win win.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    I am all for that. I think being forced to be a unhealthy weight to do a job is awful and should not be legal.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Just wanted to add, the fashion industry has generally preferred young, skinny models because they are supposed to literally be clothes hangers. They don't want their body shape to change how the dress hangs. And I find that distasteful to say the least.

But pop culture has focused on different body shapes over modern history. And as I said in the other thread, I don't feel like the skinny model type is really popular right now. All the real women I know want to know how they can get a bigger butt, and how many bicep curls they need to do to have muscular arms. Not to say that women trying to look like air-brushed celebrities and/or having body dysmorphia or unrealistic goals isn't a problem, but I think the whole striving to be underweight thing was much more prevalent 10 years ago than it is now.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    I think it would then have to go both ways - not just for underweight models, but overweight as well...it IS possible to be over or under weight and be healthy according to a physical assessment. I don't see a huge issue - as people will still gravitate toward wanting to see one thing over another, but I can see this quickly becoming a problem if they're only policing one end of the spectrum.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    My only issue with outright banning underweight models is that in the end, we're just still making a blanket assumption about a person's body. Some people are underweight in an unhealthy way, that's definitely true, and that's definitely been something that's seen a lot in the modelling/fashion industries. However, there are some people who are just really skinny. I have a friend who has always been stick thin and it has everything to do with her genetic makeup rather than her having an eating disorder (she doesn't, she's even had a baby and her body bounced right back to what it was before) and her mom is the same way.

I think the goal here should be that designers design for multiple body types so that during their shows we see a plethora of different figures.

Hence, allowing the doctors to have the final assessment on the models' health.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    I'm not sure banning anything helps. Cocaine is banned, drinking under the influence is banned and yet thousands of people do and die from those things.
    Also, if a Doctor can over ride it, I see EVERY model having a dr's note.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    @RachelElser do you think more underage people would drink if underage drinking wasn't banned? Of course they would, a lot of underage people want to drink and sometimes they can't get any hooch, making it easier to get will mean more underage drinking. So, yes, banning underage drinking means there's less of it. Banning things doesn't eliminate them, but it can help.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    I don't know how I feel about this. I've spent the day chewing it over and still come to no strong conclusions, just a lot of rambling thoughts.

On the one hand, I agree with the idea that if your job is entirely based on your body, there should be mutual responsibility between employees and employers to make sure said body is reasonably healthy and protected. Safety requirements exist for warehouse workers, for example. "Safety requirements" for models could be things like always being provided with correctly sized footwear, not being laced so tightly into garments that breathing is difficult, being provided with adequate water and cool-down areas during hot, outdoor shows, and yes, check-ups with doctors to make sure that your weight is healthy for your frame. I'm all in favor of people being put in situations where their jobs are as safe as possible; you shouldn't have to risk your health or life for your livelihood.

As to how banning underweight models would affect society: I don't know that it would really matter. It would to a few people, I guess. But I think instead of underweight models, we'd get some new ideal that most people couldn't attain and would go through unhealthy lengths to try to achieve. Though maybe it would impact teenagers less... There was very little I could do to alter my body other than starve it. If big butts had been the thing to aspire to 13 years ago, I didn't have the freedom or the money to run out and get plastic surgery. But then again, I wasn't starving myself to look like a model or movie star, I was starving myself because it was the only bit of control I felt like I had, and I would have done it no matter what. So... IDK. It may help some. It may not change much of anything.

While the idea of a variety of sizes shown in advertising seems like a nice idea, I don't know how well it would really work. I could see women going "This model is a size 8 just like me, this sweater will be perfect!" only to get the sweater and realize their busts and waists are shaped entirely different. Size 0s and 2s are more neutral. It's hard to determine how much a garment will cling or flow on a static, posed image, no matter the size of the model. But I guess if clothing manufacturers knew they were going to have to do photo shoots with women who were larger sizes, they'd design clothing more friendly to those sizes? *shrug*

The question I keep coming back to and have no answer for is if this is a "real" issue. For the models themselves, yes, definitely. But how much does it affect consumers of media, and if models went from being BMI 17.5 to BMI 18.5, does that change anything about the health (physical or mental) of consumers?

/endrambling