Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Bocch wrote: »
    I think the problems is the activity level. When we were younger we might have played sports in school which practice could have been for 2 hours. Then after coming home maybe we would do a pick-up game. Maybe we would use a push lawnmower to cut the grass and then meet the gang for whatever. It's tough, I know I have pains from playing those sports and trying to do sports to burn calories is not as easy.

My activity level is much higher than it was when I lost weight. I find it harder to maintain now than I did to lose then.
    OP: I'm 51 and menopausal.
  • nitromaniac
    nitromaniac Posts: 2,479 Member
    Options
    judis100 wrote: »
    Hi Cruefan-
    I found it pretty easy to lose weight when I was younger, and was surprised by how much harder I've had to work at it now that I'm post-menopausal. As others have said, if you commit to it, it can be done but the results are slower for me, both in weight lost and body re-shaping. But it beats the alternative of staying fat and, in my case, pre-diabetic! Hang in there.

Judi

It also took a pre-diabetic diagnosis from my MD to motivate me. I've never really made a concentrated effort to lose weight, but the fact that there is a history of diabetes in my family has really driven me down this path, and at 50 years old, it's not easy. I am slowly changing my lifestyle and seeing results. Hang in there, be diligent an the results will come.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and found it far easier to lose weight in my 50's than my 30's or 40's.

The key was to strip away any excuses including, but not only, using age as an excuse and take personal responsibility for how much I ate and how much I moved.

Settled career, children grown up and more self-sufficient meant more time for me. I could have spent that "me time" sitting on the sofa eating peanuts but made the choice to be far more active and invest that time in my health and fitness.

Just wish I had started earlier!

• mvsmith2012
    mvsmith2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will be 50 in January and I married 4 years ago and in the process of cooking for my dear husband I put 60 pounds on since then. I joined mfp in August and easily lost 10 pounds. Now it's getting harder and I am dealing with a lot of aches and pains, and that is a another reason to move a lot more and eat less..I love this site for it gives ton's of motovation. Please feel free to add me as a friend..

• ajmack41
    ajmack41 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 50. However, I found it bit easier to lose weight. I always been athletic, but when I don't feel like exercising or eating healthy, I will gain a few pounds back. I guess it depends on your activity level and what you eat.
  • carolinelanewa
    carolinelanewa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am a 52 year old female. Its been hard to loose weight. I do pt 4 times a week. Weigh and track my food and its been a slow process. Just started running as well and it seems to be getting things moving. Have weigh in with my pt on monday and for the first time i can honestly say im looking forward to it.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP at 44 and I recently turned 48 and to to honest when I would see threads about how hard it is to lose wait because of 'fill in the blank' I was sort of dismissive about it. Like how hard it is to lose weight when you're short, how do you really know? I've only been short, but since this last birthday I have noticed some weight/fat in areas that were never an issue. I've gone from a 27" waist to a almost 29" belly